OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL.Hough:hou01910View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 470 (1533) - (1545)
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Rogers, Henry Munroe, 1839-1937, collector.
Title: Rogers Memorial Collection: Rogers Memorial Room records,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 linear foot (2 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Records kept by the Harvard Theatre Collection concerning the administration of the Rogers Memorial Collection donated by Henry Munroe Rogers and Clara Kathleen Rogers.
The following letters in the Henry Munroe Rogers Papers, MS Thr 470 (88) - (667), relate directly to the founding of the Rogers Memorial Room:
- HMR to Robert Pierpont Blake, 1930 May 22, item (306)
- Robert Pierpont Blake to HMR, 1930 May 24, item (306)
- Lillian Arvilla Hall to HMR, 1930 June 18, item (170)
- Lillian Arvilla Hall to HMR, 1931 Apr. 23, item (170)
The Rogers Memorial Collection, of which this is Series IX, contains literary, musical and historical material from Boston circa 1860-1937, and memorabilia of the English composer John Barnett (1802-1890). A master list of the Rogers Memorial Collection series can be found in HOLLIS 10104119.
Henry Munroe Rogers (1839-1937) was a Boston lawyer, best known as a patron of local theater. Born in Boston, he was one of six children of John Hicks Rogers and Lucy Catherine Smith. He attended Harvard College (A.B. 1862; L.L.B. 1867) and served as a paymaster in the United States Navy during the Civil War. He became a successful Boston lawyer and a charter member in the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. After his marriage in 1878 to the English opera singer Clara Kathleen Barnett (daughter of the English composer John Barnett), the couple entertained many theatrical, literary and musical luminaries in their home.Henry Munroe Rogers and Clara Kathleen Rogers amassed a substantial collection of theatrical and military memorabilia over the course of their long lives, mostly as part of their personal papers. In 1930, they donated these papers to Harvard College Library, where they were first arranged by Edward Bass Hall and his mother Lillian Arvilla Hall of the Harvard Theatre Collection. The Rogers Memorial Room on the top floor of Widener Library was set aside to house the collection, and opened in 1935. The Rogers Memorial Room was relocated to the Harvard Theatre Collection's space in Lamont Library in 1949. Building renovations required that the room be vacated in 2006, but the Rogers Memorial Collection is still maintained as a unified whole.
Arranged alphabetically by title.
This collection consists of records kept by the Harvard Theatre Collection concerning the administration of the Rogers Memorial Collection, including bookplates, catalog cards, inventories, memoranda, a rubber stamp, and a visitors' book, as well as papers concerning the publication of The Rogers Memorial Room : an account of the nature, origin, and significance of the memorabilia presented to Harvard College in 1930 by Clara Kathleen & Henry Munroe Rogers ([Boston] : Cosmos Press, 1935).
This series is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions below for additional information.