MS Am 2419
Tolman, Albert Harris, 1856-1928. Albert Harris Tolman papers on American ballads,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2419
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Tolman, Albert Harris, 1856-1928.
Title: Albert Harris Tolman papers on American ballads,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence and texts of American folk songs and ballads collected by University
of Chicago professor, Albert Harris Tolman.
No accession number. Gift of J. Stevens Tolman, 6641 Woodlawn Ave., Chicago, Illinois; received: 1929 January 12. Recataloged from 25241.46.5F*
Note from J. Stevens Tolman (Albert Tolman's son), mentions that this group of papers
was found in his father's library and was marked "to be sent to Harvard University
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Albert Harris Tolman Papers on American Ballads, 1900-1926 (MS Am 2419). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
The Special Collections Research Center of the University of Chicago Library also
has papers of Albert Harris Tolman.
Albert Harris Tolman (1856-1928) received an A.B. from Williams College in 1877 and
a Ph.D. from the University of Strassburg in 1889. He was a principal of Chicopee
Falls High School, Massachusetts (1878-1882) and a professor of English at Ripon College
(1884-1893) and at the University of Chicago (1893-1925). He was a widely published
Shakespearean authority and held a special interest in ballad and epic poetry. His
publications on American ballads included: "Some songs traditional in the United States"
(1916) and "Traditional texts and tunes" (1922; with Mary O. Eddy) both from The journal of American folklore. He died on December 25, 1928.
Arranged into three series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Ballads
- III. Other papers
Includes correspondence, texts of ballads, notes, programs, clippings, and partial
drafts of Tolman's writings concerning American folk songs and ballads.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: I. Correspondence
- (1). Barry, Phillips, 1880-1937. Letters to AHT, 1911. 1 folders
- (2). Bartholmew, Pearl Huff. Letter to AHT, 1915. 1 folders
- (3). Barton, William Eleazar, 1861-1930. Letter to AHT, 1911. 1 folders
- (4). Belden, Henry Marvin, 1865-1954. Correspondence with AHT, 1917-1925. 1 folders
- (5). Burk, W. E. R. Letter to AHT, 1925. 1 folders
- (6). Button, W. J. Letter to AHT, 1916. 1 folders
- (7). Canfield, Emily. Letter to AHT, 1900. 1 folders
- (8). Eddy, Mary O. (Mary Olive), b. 1877. Letters to AHT, 1918-1926. 1 folders
- (9). Ely Alice F. Letter to AHT, 1917. 1 folders
- (10). Henry, Mellinger Edward, 1873-1946. Letter to AHT, 1926. 1 folders
- (11). Kittredge, George Lyman, 1860-1941. Letters to AHT, 1911-1921. 1 folders
- (12). Lomax, John Avery, 1867-1948. Letter to AHT, 1911. 1 folders
Includes printed flier about his appointment as Harvard University Sheldon Fellow.
- (13). Moore, Ella A., recipient. Letter from [?], 1915. 1 folders
- (14). Starr, Elizabeth. Letter to AHT, undated. 1 folders
- (15). [Unidentified correspondent]. Letter to AHT, 1917. 1 folders
- Series: III. Other papers
- (41). Clippings on ballads, 1908-1926. 1 folders
- (42). Programs of folk song and ballad recitals, 1913-1915. 1 folders
- (43). Tolman, Albert Harris, 1856-1928. Notes and partial drafts of papers on ballads : autograph manuscript, manuscript (in
unidentified hand), undated. 1 folders