MS Eng 1626
Duckworth, John Thomas, Sir. Sir John Thomas Duckworth papers, 1805-1811: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Eng 1626
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Duckworth, John Thomas, Sir.
Title: Sir John Thomas Duckworth papers,
Date(s): 1805-1811 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Military papers concerning British naval officer Sir John Thomas Duckworth.
47M-95F. Transfer from the Harvard Law School Library; received: 1947 December 1. This was part of a larger lot purchased at auction by the Law School Library.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Sir John Thomas Duckworth Papers, 1805-1811 (MS Eng 1626). Houghton Library, Harvard
Sir John Thomas Duckworth (1748-1817) was a British naval officer.
Arranged in chronological order.
Letters, orders (military records), printed document forms, transcripts, lists of government reports, and naval squadron
disposition papers, concerning the naval affairs of Vice Admiral Sir John Thomas Duckworth
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (1). Great Britain. Royal Navy. Autograph manuscript letter to Vice Admiral Sir John Thomas Duckworth, 1805 June 20. 1 folders
Letter from the Navy Office inquiring as to the competency of Mr. Beale, the master shipwright at Jamaica Yard.
- (2). Great Britain. Royal Navy. Autograph manuscript letter to Vice Admiral Sir John Thomas Duckworth, 1805 August 17. 1 folders
Letter from the Navy Office requesting opinion of the utility of hiring Black crews
at Jamaica Yard. Encloses manuscript transcript copy of letter to the Navy Office from Commissioner John Dilkes recommending that course, 1805 June 3.
- (4). Great Britain. Admiralty. Autograph manuscript letter to Vice Admiral Sir John Thomas Duckworth, 1808 August 30. 1 folders
Orders discharge (at his own request) of Reverand J. Richards, chaplain of the H.M.S. Achilles.
- (5). Weekly Disposition of the Squadron under command of Admiral Sir J. T. Duckworth K.B.,
employed and to be employed at and about the island of Newfoundland : manuscript charts, 1811. 1 folders
Includes four charts showing weekly disposition of ships as of the following dates:
- 1811 April 19
- 1811 April 26
- 1811 May 3
- 1811 May 10
Includes ships: Adonis, Alert, Antelope, Avenger, Comet, Crane, Hazard, Jason, Mackarel, Medusa, Narcissus, Nonpareil, and Recruit. Each chart also lists name of commander of each ship, destination, details of orders,
- (6). List of reports, British governmental publications, etc ... : manuscript list, undated. 1 folders
Incomplete: begins with No. 180, ends with No. 376.
- (7). Blank forms : printed documents, undated. 1 folders
Six blank document forms:
- A Daily Return of disposeable Men on board His Majesty's Ship the [ ] at [ ] the [
] Day of [ ] 180[ ]
- ...please to pay to [ ] of [ ] being the Nett Flag Pay and Compensation due to me
as [ ] between the [ ] and the [ ] for Value received, ...
- Captain [ ] of his Majesty's having acquainted me that ... You are hereby required
and directed to repair on board that Ship, and, jointly with her ....by order of]
Sir John Thomas Duckworth, Knight of the Bath, [ ] Admiral of the [ ]...
- Certificate appointing a mariner as sole Master of a ship for a voyage....
- Licence to lade on board concerning Customs, etc... from Island of Newfoundland
- Appointment form to Saint John's Volunteer Rangers. Two forms printed on one sheet.