MS Am 2539
Eccles, Mary Hyde. Mary Hyde Eccles papers concerning the Charlotte Lennox correspondence,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2539
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Eccles, Mary Hyde.
Title: Mary Hyde Eccles papers concerning the Charlotte Lennox correspondence,
Quantity: 1 collection (.2 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence, memoranda and articles concerning the efforts of Mary Hyde Eccles
to publish a group of letters from Samuel Johnson to Charlotte Lennox.
2006M-65. Donor and date unknown; accessioned: 2007 April 27.
These papers were apparently given by Mary Hyde to Arthur Amory Houghton on 1966 March
14. They were found in a filing cabinet among official Houghton Library records in
2007 with no further provenance information.
Processed by: Rick Stattler
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Mary Hyde Eccles Papers Concerning the Charlotte Lennox Correspondence, 1964-1966
(MS Am 2539). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
The Lennox correspondence was soon afterward purchased by Arthur Amory Houghton, who
donated it to the Houghton Library in 1968 as MS Eng 1269. See also the Mary Hyde
Eccles Papers, MS Hyde 98.
Mary Hyde Eccles was one of the world's leading collectors of books and manuscripts
from the 1940s until her death in 2003. She was also a distinguished literary scholar,
and an important benefactor to numerous libraries and cultural institutions. She was
born as Mary Morley Crapo on 1912, married Donald Frizell Hyde in 1939, and after
his death in 1966 remarried to David Eccles, Viscount Eccles in 1984.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Compositions
This collection relates to Mary Hyde's essay Not in Chapman, a catalog of unpublished Samuel Johnson letters which was to appear in Johnson, Boswell and Their Circle: Essays Presented to Lawrence Fitzroy Powell in
Honor of his Eighty-fourth Birthday. As this project neared completion, a new cache of letters from Samuel Johnson to Charlotte
Lennox was discovered in the vault of the British Linen Bank, which triggered a series
of negotiations before the Hyde essay could be revised and published.
The correspondents include James Lowry Clifford, Dan Davin, Michael Francis Gilbert,
Arthur Amory Houghton, Donald Frizell Hyde, Mary Lascelles, Robert F. Metzdorf, Lawrence
Fitzroy Powell, and others. The compositions series includes memoranda and drafts
of relevant articles by Mary Hyde and Duncan E. Isles.
- Series: I. Correspondence
- (1). A- through P-. Correspondence with Mary Hyde, 1964-1966. 1 folders
Includes correspondence with Claude Colleer Abbott; Herbert Cahoon; Katharine M. Chapman; Allen T. (Allen Tracy) Hazen; Arthur Amory Houghton; Duncan E. Isles; William A. (William Alexander) Jackson; and Lawrence Fitzroy Powell.
- (2). Buchanan, David, 1933-. Correspondence with Mary Hyde and Donald Frizell Hyde, 1964-1965. 1 folders
- (3). Clifford, James Lowry, 1901-. Correspondence with Mary Hyde and Donald Frizell Hyde, 1964-1965. 1 folders
Also includes enclosed copies of 2 letters from the British Linen Bank to Mary Lascelles, 1964.
- (4). Davin, Dan, 1913-1990. Correspondence with Mary Hyde, 1964-1965. 1 folders
DD wrote as editor at Oxford University Press.
- (5). Gilbert, Michael Francis, 1912-1906. Correspondence with Donald Frizell Hyde, Gabriel Austin, and Hugh Teesdale, 1965-1966. 1 folders
MFG was a partner in the law firm of Trower, Still & Keeling.
- (6). Lascelles, Mary, 1900-1995. Correspondence with Mary Hyde and Donald Frizell Hyde, 1964-1965. 1 folders
- (7). Metzdorf, Robert F. (Robert Frederic), 1912-. Correspondence with Mary Hyde and Alexander Falconer, 1964. 1 folders
- Series: II. Compositions
- (8). Austin, Gabriel. Memorandum on the Samuel Johnson - Charlotte Lennox letters : typescript with manuscript revisions (photocopy), 1966 February 27. 1 folders
- (9). Davidson, C. K. Petition of the British Linen Bank ... for appointment of a judicial factor on manuscripts
deposited in their custody : typescript photocopy, 1964. 1 folders
- (10). Eccles, Mary Hyde. Added Johnson - Lennox letters : autograph manuscript, 1964. 1 folders
- (11). Eccles, Mary Hyde. Not in Chapman : offprint with autograph manuscript inscription to Arthur Amory Houghton and Betty Houghton, 1965. 1 folders
- (12). Eccles, Mary Hyde. Not in Chapman : page proof with manuscript revisions (photocopy), 1965. 1 folders
- (13). Isles, Duncan E. Unpublished letters by Samuel Johnson and his contemporaries : a collection of letters
addressed to Mrs. Charlotte Lennox : typescript with manuscript revisions, and clippings, 1965. 1 folders
Published in the Times Literary Supplement, 1965 July 29 and August 5.
- (14). Memorandum on a fair price for the Lennox letters : manuscript, ca. 1966. 1 folders
Author unknown, but may have been affiliated with Arthur Amory Houghton or the Houghton Library.