MS Am 2520
Photographs of Edwin Arlington Robinson, circa 1870-1931: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2520
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Photographs of Edwin Arlington Robinson,
Quantity: .2 linear feet (1 volume)
Abstract: Photographs of American poet Edwin Arlington Robinson, his family, friends, and dwellings.
No accession number. Reclassified from: PR 5750.83 [Fomerly shelved as Lobby IX.4.18] Donor information unknown; probably gift of Rosalind Richards (photographs have her annotations on verso).
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
Photographs of Edwin Arlington Robinson, circa 1870-1931 (MS Am 2520). Houghton Library,
Edwin Arlington Robinson (1869-1935) was born in the village of Head Tide, in the
town of Alna, Maine, and raised in Gardiner, Maine. He attended Harvard College from 1891 to 1893, but did not complete a degree. He is considered the first major
American poet of the twentieth century. He is especially known for his Tilbury Town
cycle of poems, and for his Arthurian trilogy, Merlin, Lancelot, and Tristram.
Arranged alphabetically by subject of photograph.
Includes portrait photographs of EAR from all time periods, group portraits with friends,
images of EAR's birthplace in Head Tide, Alna, Maine, and his family home in Gardiner,
Maine. Also includes photographs of his two brothers, Herman Robinson and Dean Robinson.
Most items have autograph manuscript annotations on verso in the hand of family friend,
and Gardiner, Maine neighbor, Rosalind Richards.
Collection materials are in English.
- (3). MacDowell Colony, Inc. "E.A.R.'s Veltin Studio through the trees from the Pageant Grounds - Aug. 19, 1931"
: photograph, 1931. 1 item in 1 folder.
Howard G. Schmitt, photographer.
- (4). Robinson, Edwin Arlington, 1865-1935. Portraits, various dates. 13 items in 1 folder.
Includes the following portrait images of EAR:
- Photographs by date:
- ___4a: 1870, EAR age 6 months
- ___4b: ca. 1874-1875, EAR age 4 or 5
- ___4c: 1897, EAR individual photo taken from a 1897 group photo at the Richards' summer
camp [variant view from (4d)]
- ___4d: 1897, EAR individual photo taken from the 1897 group photo at the Richards'
summer camp [variant view from (4d); see also (5) below]
- ___4e: 1912?, EAR at Pittsburgh. Elizabeth Marsh?, photographer
- ___4f: 1916, E. A. Robinson (Macmillan). From the portrait by Lilla Cabot Perry
- ___4g: 1930 August 24, EAR at Veltin Studio, MacDowell Colony
- ___4h: 1931 August 19, EAR inside Veltin Studio, MacDowell Colony. Howard G. Schmitt,
- ___4i: 1931 August 19, EAR at Veltin Studio, MacDowell Colony
- Photographs, undated:
- ___EAR (Macmillan Co.); depicts him seated in front of library books, reading a book
- ___EAR at Chocorua, without his moustache. Hermann Hagedorn, photographer, [probably
- Images of drawings:
- ___Photograph of F. Bolles' drawing of EAR
- ___Publisher's advertisement for EAR's Collected poems, with print of EAR on cover
- (5). Robinson, Edwin Arlington, 1865-1935. Group portraits, various dates. 6 items in 1 folder.
Includes the following group portrait images of EAR with others:
- 5a: ca.
Date: 1884, "The pupils and teachers of the Gardiner High School"
Date: 1897, "EA Robinson at the Richards' summer camp at Belgrade Lakes, Me." Includes the following persons: John Richards, Alice Richards, R.H. Richards, James Barstow, Dean Hodges, Richard Richards, Mrs. Richards, EAR, Vaughan ? and Eleanor ?", L. E. Richards, Jr., J. W. Richards, and J. Hays Gardiner. Includes inscription: "L.E.R. had just given us a riddle to work out, and was herself
in happy unconcern! - Rosland Richards"
Date: 1898, "EA Robinson at the Richards' summer camp at Belgrade Lakes, Me." Includes the following persons: John Hays Gardiner, L. G. ?, R. H. Richards, H.V. Hurlburt?, Caroline Hall, EAR, Alice Richards, Laura E. Richards, Laura E. Richards, Jr., S. Ferguson, Rosalind Richards, Julia Richards, John Richards, and H. H. Richardson
Date: 1910, "Chocorua, New Hampshire." Includes the following persons: Truman H. Bartlett, Mary Oakle Hagedorn (aged 15 months), and EAR." Hermann Hagedorn, photographer
Date: 1910, "In Mr. Bartlett's house, Chorcorua, N.H." Includes the following persons: EAR and
T. H. Bartlett. Hermann Hagedorn, photographer
- 5f: Undated: "In the room of the 'Quadruped,' Gardiner." Includes: SAR, Seth Ellis Pope, and Linville Robbins. Later found to be dated as
- (6). Robinson, Herman, d.1909. Portrait photographs, undated. 2 items in 1 folder.
EAR's brother, first-born in the family.
- (7). Robinson, Dean, d. 1899. Portrait photograph at age 26, undated. 1 item in 1 folder.
EAR's brother, second-born in the family.