Typ 8300.30- Typ 8304.91.6
Crane, Walter, 1845-1915. Walter Crane drawings and papers, 1868-1902: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Typ 8300.30- Typ 8304.91.6
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Crane, Walter, 1845-1915.
Title: Walter Crane drawings and papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 linear feet (6 volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Miscellaneous papers of English artist, Walter Crane.
These items were transferred from the Widener Treasure Room and were formerly listed
as part of the "Old Widener" finding aid and card index. In September of 2006, this
temporary finding aid was created with the old cataloging information for these Crane
materials. These 6 items are only part of the manuscript holdings on Crane, and the
materials will eventually be assembled, reclassified, and fully recataloged.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Walter Crane Drawings and Papers, 1868-1902 (Typ 8300.30-Typ 8304.91.6). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Crane was an English illustrator, painter, and designer primarily known for his imaginative
illustrations of children's books.
Arranged in call number order.
Includes autograph manuscript notes, letters, and poems by Crane; pencil, pen and
ink, watercolor, and hand colored drawings; and preliminary sketches. Includes drawings
for Lionel's looking-glass, His majesty's servants, and A book of hours.
- Typ 8300.30. [Crane, Walter, 1845-1915.] Notes on the development of one's artistics characteristics : autograph manuscript.
obl.12mo. 8 sheets.
- Typ 8300.32. Crane, Walter, 1845-1915. Notes on my work in art and letters : manuscript. 1v.; 4to. 11 sheets.
Accompanied with a typewritten copy, 1.8vo.
- Typ 8300.33. [Crane, Walter, 1845-1915.] Autograph letter, signed, concerning designs for doilies], Beaumont Lodge, Shepherd's, Bristol, W., 1891 August 18. 1v.; ff.(2).
- Typ 8303.25. Crane, Walter, 1845-1915. His majesty's servants. Walter Crane's new series of six penny toy-books. 1v.; 20 cm.
Title taken from cover.
One original water-color drawing, 2 pen and ink drawings, 11 preliminary pen and ink sketches, design for cover, and manuscript text (1 page) in case. The book was never published.
- Typ 8304.91.6. Crane, Walter, 1845-1915. To my old friend Robert Bateman. 1v.
Poem written on the fly-leaf of the copy of his Renascence, presented to Robert Bateman. Signed and dated: June 11, 1902.