Arabic-language manuscripts at Houghton Library, circa 1000-1888: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Arabic-language manuscripts
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Arabic-language manuscripts at Houghton Library,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 linear feet (29 volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in Arabic and other languages.
Abstract: Arabic-language manuscripts formerly held in the Treasure Room of Widener Library.
All this material was transferred from Widener Library to Houghton Library in 1942.
In some cases, specific donor information is listed with the item.
Much of this material still has the old Widener Library call numbers. As this material
is recataloged into the Houghton classification, the item will be deleted from this
list and will be found in OASIS and/or HOLLIS. While those with call numbers beginning
MS (e.g. MS Arab 8) will retain those numbers, those with Widener classifications
(e.g. 27271.37*) will be reclassified into the Houghton manuscript classes.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
The Widener Library manuscripts, both single codices and collections, have traditionally
been called the "Old Widener" collections. As time and resources permit, they are
Arranged alphabetically by author or main entry.
This list does not represent all the Arabic-language manuscripts held at Houghton
- MS Arab 8. ABKĀRĪUS, Iskander. Kitab nawādir al-ziman fī waqā'i' jabal Libanān [Book of the marvels of time in the
events of Mount Lebanon]. Manuscript. sm.8vo.
Presented by the author to Isaac H. Hall, in 1877. Contains the author's autograph.
- Semitic Lib. ABŪ `ABD `ALLAH al-JAZŪLĪ. [Delail al-hairat. Guide to good works. With a commentary by al-Fasi. A.H. 1205=A.D. 1791] Manuscript. pp.(928).
- Arabic 226.17*. al-Ama `ī. The story of Antar. Read Feb. 15th, 1888 in Sever 11. 21 f. 27.5 x 21 cm.
Lacks f. 2 and 17.
- MS Arab 43. BIBLE. Arab. O.T., Genesis. c.1745. [Commentary on the Book of Genesis.] 27.5 cm.
Arabic ms.on paper. Not after 1745. Single column. 22-26 lines.
233 leaves (text), 3 fly-leaves at end, end papers pasted inside covers.
Foliated in Greek letters; fly-leaves and end papers annotated in Arabic and Greek.
Arabic note on first fly-leaf dated: 1158/1745.
Bound in leather over boards with brass bosses.
Cover and contents damaged, several leaves probably missing.
- MS Arab 28. BIBLE. Arabic. N.T. Gospels. [The four Gospels]. Arabic ms. on paper. 208 leaves, gathered in 10's, excepting the last gather which
is in 8. The first 41, and the last 5 pages contain blank leaves, preliminaries &
annotations. 21.5 x 16 cm.(leaf); 21.5 cm.(bd.)
15 lines; single column.
Headings, rubricated. Catchwords on verso of each leaf; headings on recto of most
leaves of the gospels; marginal notes.
Written in a coarse hand apparently in N. Africa on laid water-marked paper such
as was used in Tunis in the early 19th century
Bound in a native sheepskin folding casing of very ordinary workmanship, slightly
tooled, & stamped.
- Arabic 226.1*. [Bible. Arabic. N.T. Gospels. 1359?] Arabic ms. on paper. 49 Leaves 26 cm. (leaf 2); 26.5 cm.(bd.);
11 lines; single column; written in a large fine Naskhi with red headings and rubrication.
Comprises portions of Luke, Mark and John in Arabic found in Coptic monastery at
Sanabū, Upper Egypt.
Dated, in another hand, at close of Luke's Gospel: "Year of the martyrs 1075"
- MS Arab 30. CATHOLIC CHURCH. [Form of Absolution and prayers according to the Catholic ritual,
in Arabic. 19th cent.] Arabic ms. on paper. 14 x 8 cm. (leaf); 14.5 x 8.5 cm. (bd.).
Single column; 15 lines. 62 leaves, irregularly gathered. Written in two hands, the
finer using both red and black ink. Bound in white vellum.
- *Sem. 415.7. ;hwān e; - ;afā ; (The Pure Brothers. ; ;hwān e;-;afā [The Pure Brothers.) [Debate between man and the other animals, cir.
1810.] l.8vo. pp.12.
- MS Arab 26F. KĪTĀB al-buyu, etc. [Treatise on sales, followed by other treatises on Muhammedan
law and tradition.] 1.8vo. pp.(436).
A beautifully written manuscript of the end of the 18th cent., at one time in the library of Prince Demidoff at San Donato.
- MS Arab 31. KORAN. 17th or 18th century. [Koran, Sura 11, verses 59 to ; of 63; then verses 76 from ;. 3 Leaves
consisting of one single leaf between 2 conjugate leaves. Vellum MS in arabic. 18.9
x 17.9 cm.(leaf). Polychrome painting. Described by W. Thomson as: Ordinary Koran text, a fair script, but not ancient, probably not later than the
- MS Arab 47. [KORAN. 19th Cent.?] Arabic ms. on paper, collated perfect. 788 written pages, 390 non conjugate leaves. 21.5 x 16 cm. (leaf); about 14 x 9 cm. (text); 21 x 16 (30 with flap) cm. (bd.);
15 lines; single column.
Watermarked European paper.
Headings and points in red ink; punctuation and painted decoration in yellow, green
and red; written in a West African moghrebi script.
Leaves loose in oriental blind tooled goat skin flap casing, with two loose raw-hide
- MS Arab 36. MOHAMMEDAN law. 26 cm.(leaf).
Arabic manuscript on paper. Undated.
105 leaves in modern casing, 59 loose leaves gathered in 4's; acephalous, and without
terminal formula; 17 lines, surrounded by commentary and interlined; margins damaged
by use and damp.
- MS Arab 38. MOHAMMEDAN law. 26 cm.(leaf).
Arabic manuscript on paper. Undated.
253 leaves, numbered 2-251 with the number 33 omitted in error, and 5 unnumbered
leaves; single column; 33 lines.
Acephalous and without terminal formulas; leaves damaged.
Some leaves, numbered 90-213, in modern casing.
- MS Arab 35. MOHAMMEDAN prayers. 15 cm.(leaf).
Arabic and Persian manuscript on paper. Undated.
140 written and 7 blank leaves, gathered in irregular quires of blue or white paper.
72 written and 7 blank leaves are not included in the modern casing.
Acephalous, single column, irregular number of lines. Probably a commonplace-book
of devotional exercises.
- MS Arab 27. MUHĪ ad-DĪN al`ARABĪ. For original texts of the works of this author consult the Arabic
section of the Oriental catalogue under the heading
For translations and for works relating to the author, consult the cards following
- ARg 3.6.5*. SALWAT al-musūfir wa nazkat al-muhaďir. [Consolation of the traveller. Humorous anecdotes.]
- MS Arab 1. ["SIGHS of Syria." An anonymous manuscript describing the contemporary conditions of Syrian Christians.]