MS Am 2590
Dale, Harrison Clifford, b. 1885. Harrison Clifford Dale research papers, 1827-1957:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2590
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Dale, Harrison Clifford, b. 1885.
Title: Harrison Clifford Dale research papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.3 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Research papers and correspondence assembled by Wyoming author, Harrison Clifford
56M-179. Gift of Harrison Clifford Dale, 109 Oliver Road, Santa Barbara, California; received: 1957.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Harrison Clifford Dale Research Papers, 1827-1957 (MS Am 2590). Houghton Library,
Dale (1885-1969) was a Wyoming author who graduated from Harvard College with an AB
Includes a small portion of Dale's research for his 1918 book, The Ashley-Smith explorations and the discovery of a central route to the Pacific,
1822-1829. Includes Dale's correspondence and transcripts of research materials. Especially
concerns mountain men, Jedediah Strong Smith and Jim Bridger.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (1). Buck, Paul Herman, 1899-, recipient. Letter from Harrison Clifford Dale, 1957 January 15. 1 folders
Concerns donation of these papers to Harvard. With note to William Bond of Houghton
Library, 1959 February 21.
- (2). Chipman, H. L. Letter to Hubert Howe Bancroft, 1884. 1 folders
Typescript transcript copy of letter. Concerns military records for post in Wyoming.
- (3). Dodge, Grenville Mellen, 1831-1916. Correspondence with Harrison Clifford Dale, 1914. 1 folders
Concerns Dale's research on mountain man, Jim Bridger
- (4). Hal, recipient. Letter from unidentified soldier during WW I, 1915 September 20. 1 folders
Typescript transcript copy of letter.
- (5). Kansas City journal. Correspondence with Harrison Clifford Dale, 1914. 1 folders
Concerns Dale's research on Jim Bridger.
- (7). Mills, Anson, b. 1834. Letter to Harrison Clifford Dale, 1919. 1 folders
Concerns recollections of Jim Bridger.
- (8). Missouri Republican. Extracts of letters from 1827 and 1838. 1 folders
Typescript transcript copies.
- (9). N, Jno. Letters to Harrison Clifford Dale, 1919. 1 folders
Includes two 1899 statements of Basil (Claymore) Clement explaining the whereabouts of Jim Bridger for two years:
- Statement of Basil Clement, made at Claymore Ranch, S. D., on September 10, 1899 : typescript with manuscript revisions.
- Statement of Basil Clement (Claymore) made to C. E. DeLand, October 18, 1909 : typescript.
- (10). Smith family. Transcript copies of letters to various persons, 1829-1831. 1 folders
- Letters from Jedediah Strong Smith (1799-1831) to his brother Ralph Smith
- Letter from Austin Smith to his father Jedediah Smith relating death of brother Jedediah, 1831 May 27
- Letter from S. A. Simon to ?, 1829
- (11). Wyoming. The modern Magna Charta : photograph, undated. 1 folders
Photograph of the original law granting to the women of the Territory of Wyoming the
right to suffrage, 1869 December 10.
- (12). Wyoming State Library. Letter to Harrison Clifford Dale, 1914. 1 folders
Concerns resources they might have for Dale's research.