MS Hyde 92
Mure-Campbell, Flora Macleod, d. 1780. Flora Macleod Mure-Campbell papers, 1775-1783:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b (shelved with bMS Hyde 90-92)
Call No.: MS Hyde 92
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Mure-Campbell, Flora Macleod, d. 1780
Title: Flora Macleod Mure-Campbell papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Six letters by Flora Macleod Mure-Campbell of Raasay, Scotland (a friend of James
Boswell) to her mother, and other family papers.
2003JM-58 (part). Bequest of Mary Hyde Eccles, Four Oaks Farm, Somerville, New Jersey; received: 2004.
Purchased by Mary Hyde from Winifred Myers in 1970 July.
Processed by: Rick Stattler
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Flora Macleod Mure-Campbell Papers, 1775-1783 (MS Hyde 92). Houghton Library, Harvard
Flora Macleod was the daughter of John Macleod and Jean Macqueen Macleod of Raasay,
Scotland, near the Island of Skye. She was mentioned several times in the diaries
of James Boswell. Boswell introduced her to writer Samuel Johnson during their 1773
tour of the Hebrides. Johnson called her "the princess," and described her as "the
beauty of this part of the world, and has been polished at Edinburgh" (letters to
Hester Thrale, 1773 Sept. 14 and Sept. 24, MS Hyde 1, item 93). In 1777, she married
James Mure-Campbell (1726-1786), later the Earl of Loudon. She died in 1780 during
the birth of their only child Flora, later Flora Hastings-Rawdon, Marchioness of Hastings
Bruce Redford, ed., The Letters of Samuel Johnson (Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1992) II, 69-70, 81-84.
This collection consists of six letters from Flora Macleod Mure-Campbell to her mother
(including one which mentions James Boswell); one letter concerning her death by her
mother; and her sister's marriage contract.
- (1). Macleod, Janet. Marriage certificate : manuscript document, signed, Raasay (Scotland), 1783 Nov. 6. 1s. in 1 folder.
The author was a sister of Flora Macleod Mure-Campbell. Marriage contract with Archibald Macra of Ardintoul in Kintail (Scotland). Also signed by the bride's father John Macleod, and witnesses Murdo Macleod and Malcolm Macleod.
- (2). Macleod, Jean Macqueen. Autograph letter, signed, Edinburgh (Scotland), to John Macleod, 1780 Sept. 6. 1s. in 1 folder.
Describing the death of their daughter Flora Macleod Mure-Campbell shortly after childbirth. With black mourning seal. Water damage, and torn at folds.
- (3). Mure-Campbell, Flora Macleod, d. 1780. 6 letters to Jean Macqueen Macleod, 1775-1780. 6s. in 1 folder.
Written as Flora Macleod in 1775 and 1776. Jean Macqueen Macleod was the mother of
Flora Macleod Mure-Campbell.
- Autograph letter, signed, Edinburgh (Scotland), [1775?] July 4. 1s.
Discusses a visit to James Boswell.
- Autograph letter, signed, Edinburgh (Scotland), 1776 Mar. 5. 1s.
Torn at folds, with some loss of text.
- Autograph letter, signed, Edinburgh (Scotland), 1776 Oct. 23. 1s.
Discusses Alexander Gordon, Duke of Gordon.
- Autograph letter, signed, Lawers [Perthshire, Scotland] 1777 May 5. 1s.
- Autograph letter, signed, Lawers [Perthshire, Scotland] 1778 Feb. 2. 1s.
Concerning military recruitment and commissions, and the death of Jane Lindsay Montgomerie, Countess of Eglinton.
- Autograph letter, signed, Rowallan [Ayrshire, Scotland] 1780 Apr. 2. 1s.