MS Eng 1479
Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904. Sir Edwin Arnold papers, 1861-1950: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Eng 1479
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904.
Title: Sir Edwin Arnold papers,
Date(s): 1861-1950 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.06 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Compositions and letters of English author and translator Sir Edwin Arnold.
99M-60 Gift of Brooks Wright, received: 2000 May 25.
Processed by: Melanie Wisner
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Sir Edwin Arnold Papers, 1861-1950 (MS Eng 1479). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Sir Edwin Arnold was an English author and translator of Asian literature. He was
principal of the British government college in Pune, India, then joined the staff
of the London Daily Telegraph in 1861, becoming chief editor in 1873. His epic poem, The Light of Asia (1879), recounts
the life and teachings of Gautama Buddha. His other writings include poetry and travel
books. He was knighted in 1888.
Includes letters, two poems, lyrics, and notes of Sir Edwin Arnold with correspondence
between his son, Julian Biddulph Arnold, and his biographer, Brooks Wright.
- (1). Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904. Enfin : poem (Ms transcript by Brooks Wright), [ca. 1936]. 1 folders
Includes a preface by Edwin Arnold's son, Julian Biddulph Arnold, to Wright, suggesting it was written in 1899.
- (2). Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904. A Japanese soldier. Music by B. J. F. Varenhorst, lyrics by Arnold; Ms, undated. 1 folders
- (3). Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904. King Saladin : page proof of poem with autograph manuscript corrections, 1861. 1 folders
- (4). Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904. Letter to [Julian Biddulph Arnold], 1868 Aug. 20. 1 folders
Written from Martigny-Ville (Switzerland) during his honeymoon with his second wife, Fanny Channing.
- (5). Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904. Letter to [Augustin] Daly, 1893 June 8. 1 folders
Negotiating a production of his play Adzuma.
- (6). Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904. Letter to Barnett Smith, 1888 Jan. 9. 1 folders
- (7). Arnold, Edwin, Sir, 1832-1904. Letter to [ ], 1891 Nov. 29. 1 folders
Written from Detroit (Mich.) during a tour of poetry readings.
- (8). Arnold, Julian Biddulph, 1863- . 2 letters to Brooks Wright, 1950Sept. 23. 1 folders
- (9). Miscellaneous. 1 folders
- Fragment of Sanskrit text "penned by Sir Edwin Arnold" (note in Julian Arnold's hand)
- He made life...and He takes it...but instead gives more; praise the Restorer! : printed leaflet, verse "abridged from Al-Mu'hid", inscribed by Julian B. Arnold to Brooks Wright.
- Excerpt from Guy de Maupassant's Yvette : manuscript in French on verso of printed excerpt from Edmund Spenser's Garden of Adonis (with manuscript notes).
- Clippings (negative photocopies) about Edwin Arnold and the Arnold family