MS Hyde 9
Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792. Sir Joshua Reynolds papers, 1767-1791: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b (shelved with bMS Hyde 8)
Call No.: MS Hyde 9
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792
Title: Sir Joshua Reynolds papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters, notes, receipts, and manuscripts, mostly relating to Reynolds's artistic
career and personal finances.
2003JM-58 (part). Bequest of Mary Hyde Eccles, Four Oaks Farm, Somerville, New Jersey; received: 2004.
Processed by: Rick Stattler
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Sir Joshua Reynolds Papers, 1767-1791 (MS Am 1793). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
19 letters from Samuel Johnson to Reynolds are in MS Hyde 1, item (97). One letter
from Reynolds to Hester Thrale is in MS Hyde 3, item (95). Single letters from Thomas
Barnard and Charlotte Lennox to Reynolds are in MS Hyde 10. MS Hyde 30 consists of
papers relating to Reynolds's estate kept by executor Philip Metcalfe, and also includes
accounts kept by Reynolds relating to the Samuel Johnson monument. One letter from
the Countess of Cork and Orrery to Reynolds is in MS Hyde 57, page 8. Single letters
from Reynolds to David Garrick and Samuel Johnson are in MS Hyde 77, v. 2, pages 76
Sir Joshua Reynolds was the leading portrait painter of late 18th-century England.
He was a friend of Samuel Johnson and a founding member of the Literary Club, and
was knighted in 1769. He also delivered a series of influential discourses on painting
to the Royal Academy from 1769 to 1790.
All of the full letters in this collection were published in John Ingamells and John
Edgcumbe, eds., The Letters of Sir Joshua Reynolds (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 2000).
Series I contains fifteen autograph letters, notes and receipts addressed by Reynolds
to a variety of correspondents, including James Boswell, item (5); and Thomas Percy,
item (10). Most relate to Reynolds's artistic career or his personal finances. Series
II consists of two autograph Reynolds manuscripts, one describing Oliver Goldsmith,
- Series: I. Letters, 1767-1791
- (1). Antrobus, Mr., recipient. Autograph note, [no place] from Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1790 Aug. 27. 1s. in 1 folder.
- (2). Bacon, John, 1740-1799, recipient. Autograph letter, signed, [no place] from Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1788 Dec. 25. 1s. in 1 folder.
Concerning plans for the monument to Samuel Johnson at Westminster Abbey.
- (3). Banks, Joseph, Sir, 1743-1820, recipient. Autograph note, Leicester Fields [London] from Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1778 Dec. 11. 1s. in 1 folder.
Informing Banks that he has been elected a member of the Literary Club.
- (4). Barrington, Shute, 1734-1826, recipient. Autograph note, [no place] from Sir Joshua Reynolds,  June 16. 1s. in 1 folder.
Delays in beginning the portrait.
- (5). Boswell, James, 1740-1795, recipient. Autograph letter draft, [no place] from Sir Joshua Reynolds, [1785 July 7] 1s. in 1 folder.
Concerning the recent executions.
- (6). Coutts & Co., recipient. 5 notes from Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1788 Feb. to Mar. 5s. in 1 folder.
Orders to pay [Ralph] Kirkley, Kitchen & Lloyd, [Giuseppe Filippo Liberati] Marchi, and [William?] Roth from his account, and a note requesting that Frances Reynolds be paid 25 pounds from his account each quarter.
- (7). Crabbe, George, 1754-1832, recipient. Autograph letter, signed, [no place] from Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1783 Mar. 4. 1s. in 1 folder.
Forwards a letter from Samuel Johnson in praise for Crabbe's verses.
- (8). Malone, Edmond, 1741-1812, recipient. Autograph letter, signed, Leicester Fields [London] from Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1791 Apr. 9. 2s. in 1 folder.
Mentions James Boswell and subscription fund for a monument to Samuel Johnson.
- (9). Palmer, John, 1752-1827, recipient. Autograph document, signed, [no place] from Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1769 Oct. 27. 1s. in 1 folder.
Receipt for a legacy from the estate of uncle Joshua Reynolds (b. 1675).
- (10). Percy, Thomas, 1729-1811, recipient. 2 letters from Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1767-1768. 2s. in 1 folder.
- Autograph note, Leicester Fields [London] 1767 July 13. 1s.
- Autograph note, [no place] [1768 Dec. 17] 1s.
- II. Manuscripts, 1774 and undated
- (11). Reminiscences of Oliver Goldsmith : autograph manuscript draft, [1774?] 2s. in 1 folder.
On verso, a pencil drawing of a gnarled tree. With typescript transcript.
This manuscript was not incorporated into the similar sketch in Frederick W. Hilles,
ed., Portraits : Character Sketches of Oliver Goldsmith, Samuel Johnson, and David Garrick,
Together with Other Manuscripts of Reynolds (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1952).
- (12). Thoughts on vocational training : autograph manuscript, [17--] 1s. in 1 folder.
Commends intensive study of one subject for aspiring tradesmen, but not for a young man of parts. Not part of Reynolds's published Discourses.
Transcript in The R.B. Adam Library Relating to Dr. Samuel Johnson and his Era, Volume the Third
(London: Oxford University Press, 1929), 203.