Meteyard, Thomas Buford, 1865-1928. Thomas Buford Meteyard prints, circa 1896-1920:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Typ 970.00.5684
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Meteyard, Thomas Buford, 1865-1928.
Title: Thomas Buford Meteyard prints,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 case)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Woodcuts and linoleum cut by the American artist Thomas Buford Meteyard.
90H-133. Gift of Robert Meteyard, Danby Croft, Leatherhead Road, Great Bookham, Leatherhead, Surrey KT23 4RR England;
received: 1989 September.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Thomas Buford Meteyard Prints, circa 1896-1920 (Typ 970.00.5684). Houghton Library,
Meteyard was an American Post-Impressionist artist.
For a discussion of some of these prints, see: Nancy Finlay, "The Graphic Art of Thomas Buford Meteyard," Harvard Library Bulletin, N.S. Vol. I, No. 2 (Summer 1990).
- Nancy Finlay, "The Graphic Art of Thomas Buford Meteyard," Harvard Library Bulletin, N.S. Vol. I, No. 2 (Summer 1990).
9 color woodcuts and 1 color linoleum cut, measuring 16 x 21 cm. or smaller, including
Meteyard's personal bookplate, the pressmark of the Salt Marsh Press, a portrait of
Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, and nature scenes.
- (1). Personal bookplate of T. B. Meteyard, ca. 1896.
- (2). View of a Swiss lake, ca. 1920.
Linoleum cut. Said to be the last print Meteyard ever made.
- (3). Marshes, ca. 1903. Signed "T.B. Meteyard."
- (4). Moonrise, ca. 1896.
Woodcut. Variant of back endpaper of More Songs from Vagabondia (Boston, 1896).
- (5). Iris, ca. 1896.
- (6). Breaking surf, ca. 1896.
- (7). Pressmark of Salt Marsh Press, 1897.
Woodcut. Variant of mark used in Courrier Innocent, 1897. The same design appears on the cover of Bliss Carman, A Winter Holiday (Boston, 1899).
- (8). Notre Dame de Paris, ca. 1903?
Woodcut. Related to an oil painting of 1890.
- (10). The Wood-engraver. Portrait of Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, 1897.
Woodcut. A variant of the same print appears in Courrier Innocent, 1897.
- (11). Dunes and sea, ca. 1897.