MS Eng 748
Percy, Thomas, 1729-1811. Thomas Percy transcripts of metrical romances, 1769-1781:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Eng 748
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Percy, Thomas, 1729-1811.
Title: Thomas Percy transcripts of metrical romances,
Date(s): 1769-1781 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.33 linear feet (5 volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English, Latin, and French.
Abstract: Transcripts of metrical romances made for the antiquary and bishop of Dromore Thomas
Percy with his annotations and introductory notes.
41-1675F. Gift of Frederick L. Gay; received: 1915 December 13.
These comprise the bulk of the 26 transcripts sold as lot 180 in the Percy sale at
Sotheby's, 29 April 1884. Some of the 26 transcripts are no longer in this collection, and those that remain
have been bound into five volumes. At the end of the fourth volume is bound the various
transcripts of Flowers of the forest, sold as lot 165 in the Percy sale.
From the listing of lot 180 it is apparent that the following have been removed from
the collection: Sir Bevis of Kampton from 2 copies, Launfal Miles, Tundale, Ipomydon,
Squyr of Lowe Degre and Amys. Apparently the whole of lot 165 is bound at the end
of v. 4.
Laid in v. 1 is an A.L.s. from Frederick L. Gay to Professor George Lyman Kittredge; Brookline, Mass., 13 Dec 1915, presenting the volumes.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Thomas Percy Transcripts of Metrical Romances, 1769-1781 (MS Eng 748). Houghton Library,
Thomas Percy, born at Bridgnorth Shropshire, was a poet, antiquary, editor of the
Reliques of Ancient English Poetry, and bishop of Dromore.
Transcripts of metrical romances, made for Bishop Percy, with his annotations and
introductory notes, as well as some translations into Latin.
- [Percy, Thomas,] bp. of Dromore, 1729-1811. [Transcripts of old metrical romances, made for Bishop Percy, with his annotations
and introductory notes.]
- Volume 1. Number 1. Horn-Child.
- Volume 1. Number 2. Ypotis.
- Volume 1. Number 3. Syr Guy earl of Warwick.
- Volume 2. Number 4. Guy and Colbronde.
- Volume 2. Number 7. Libeaus Disconus.
- Volume 2. Number 8. Le Morte Arthur.
- Volume 2. Number 10. The Green Knight.
- Volume 3. Number 11. The Carle of Carlile.
- Volume 3. Number13. The Romance of Merline.
- Volume 3. Number 14. Syr Isenbras.
- Volume 3. Number 15. Emarye.
- Volume 4. Number 16. Chevalere Assigne or The Knight of the Swan.
- Volume 4. Number 17. The Sege of Jerusalem.
- Volume 4. Number 18. Owayne Miles.
- Volume 4. Number 20. Syr Eglamoure of Artoys.
- Volume 4. Number 21. Syr Tryamoure.
- Volume 4. Number 22. Syr Degore. Flowers of the Forest. Transcripts of three versions, one modern amplification, and two translations into
Latin. One transcript is contained in an A.L.s. from James Robertson to Percy; Holy Island, 25 Nov. 1769. One Latin translation is contained in an A.L.s.
from Thomas Orme to [Percy?]; Ockham, 23 July 1781.
- Volume 5. Number 19. Octavian Imperator.