MS Thr 50
Vestal, Donald B., 1893-1964? Donald B. Vestal papers concerning Gertrude Stein's
Identity or I am because my little dog knows me, 1934-1936: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Thr 50
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Vestal, Donald B., 1893-1964?
Title: Donald B. Vestal papers concerning Gertrude Stein's Identity or I am because my little dog knows me,
Quantity: 1 collection (.1 linear feet (1 volume)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters from American writer Gertrude Stein to American puppeteer Donald B. Vestal
and other papers concerning Stein's play for puppets, Identity or I am because my little dog knows me.
61M-149 - 61M-151. Gift of Donald B. Vestal, c/o John H. Garrison, 617 Sansome Street, San Francisco, California; received: 1960.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Donald B. Vestal Papers Concerning Gertrude Stein's Identity or I am Because My Little Dog Knows Me, 1934-1936 (MS Thr 50). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Gertrude Stein (1874-1976) was an avant-garde American writer. Donald Vestal was an
American puppeteer who directed Stein's play Identity in Detroit in 1936.
Includes letters from Stein to Vestal, a typescript of Identity, and a letter from Thornton Wilder to Vestal containing a critique of Identity.
- Stein, Gertrude, 1874-1946. 8 A.L.s. to Donald B. Vestal:
- (1). Chicago [5 Dec 1934] 1s.(2p.) env.
- (2). Bilignin [29 Aug 1935] 3s.(6p.) env.
- (3). [Paris, 8 Jul 1936] 1s.(2p.) env.
- (4). Bilignin [27 Jul 1936] 2s.(4p.) env.
- (5). Same [13 Nov 1936] 1s.(2p.) env.
- (6). Same [n.d.] 2s.(4p.)
- (7). Same [n.d.] 2s.(2p.) env.
- (8). Paris [n.d.] 2s.(4p.)
- Stein, Gertrude, 1874-1946. Identity [a play for marionettes] TS. (unsigned); Paris  9s.(9p.)
- Wilder, Thornton, 1897-. A.L.s. to [Donald B.] Vestal; Chicago, 29 Aug 1936. 1s.(1p.)
With autograph (signed) critique of Gertrude Stein's play, Identity, Spoken as an introduction to the performance.