MS Am 2357
Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891. James Russell Lowell additional papers, 1840-1886:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2357
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891.
Title: James Russell Lowell additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence and poems of the American poet, editor and diplomat James Russell Lowell.
55M-119-125. Deposited by Mrs Stanley Cunningham, 3 Cambridge Street, Salem, Massachusetts; received: 1956 February 1.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
James Russell Lowell Additional Papers, 1840-1886 (MS Am 2357). Houghton Library,
Lowell was an author, poet, editor, teacher, and diplomat. He edited the Atlantic
Monthly (1857-1861), and with Charles Eliot Norton, the North American Review (1864-
); was professor of French and Spanish Languages and Literatures at Harvard (1855-1886),
succeeding Longfellow; and U.S. minister to Spain (1877-1880) and to England (1880-1885).
Contains letters from Lowell to Ralph Waldo Emerson, Mabel Lowell Burnett, as well
as autograph manuscript poems by Lowell in loose sheets and in a notebook. Also includes
letters to Lowell from Henry Adams and John Greenleaf Whittier.
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918. 3 A.L.s. to James Russell Lowell:
- (1). Paris, 24 Sep 1879. 1s.(4p.)
- (2). London, 28 Jan 1880. 1s.(4p.)
- (3). Washington, 15 May 1883. 1s.(4p.)
- (4). Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891. A.L.s. to Ralph Waldo Emerson; Boston, 27 Nov 1841. 1s.(4p.)
- (5). Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891. A.L.s. to [Mabel (Lowell) Burnett]; [Cambridge] 1 July 1869. 3s.(10p.)
- (6). Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891. These verses once seemed lava hot ... [first line] A.MS. (unsigned); [n.p., n.d.] 1s.(2p.)
- (7). Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891. Behold the baby-arrows of that wit ... [first line] A.MS.s. (initials); [Cambridge] 1840. 1s.(1p.)
- (8). Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891. [Notebook of poetry] A.MS. (unsigned); [n.p., n.d.] 50f.(19p.)
Contains: The new Persephone; A fancy; My brook; On a bust of Grant (fragment).
Flexible black leather.
- (9). Whittier, John Greenleaf, 1807-1892. A.L.s. to [James Russell Lowell]; Amesbury, 10 Nov 1886. 1s.(2p.)