MS Typ 707
Chaucer, Geoffrey, d. 1400. Proofs and drawings for The works of Geoffrey Chaucer:
now newly imprinted, 1892-1896: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Typ 707
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Chaucer, Geoffrey, d. 1400.
Title: Proofs and drawings for The works of Geoffrey Chaucer: now newly imprinted,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.2 linear feet)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Proofs and drawings for The works of Geoffrey Chaucer: now newly imprinted published by William Morris' Kelmscott Press in 1896.
86M-29. Gift of Mrs. Bayard L. Kilgour, Jr., 4500 Drake Road Cincinnati, Ohio 45202; received: 1986 December.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Proofs and Drawings for The Works of Geoffrey Chaucer: Now Newly Imprinted, 1892-1896 (MS Typ 707). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
William Morris' Kelmscott Press published The works of Geoffrey Chaucer: now newly imprinted [edited by F. S. Ellis; ornamented with pictures designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones,
and engraved on wood by W. H. Hooper] in 1896.
Proofs of borders, cuts, and initials annotated by Frederick Startridge Ellis, William
Morris, and Sir Sydney Cockerell. Also includes drawings by Cockerell for borders
and a photograph of William Morris and Sir Edward Burne-Jones.
- (1). Chaucer, Geoffrey, d. 1400. [The works of Geoffrey Chaucer: proofs and drawings for the Kelmscott Press edition].
Hammersmith, -1896. 42s. & f.(44p.)
Loose sheets from the library of Sir Sydney Cockerell; pictures designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones; borders and large initial letters designed by William Morris; wood engraving by William Harcourt Hooper, Charles E. Keates, and W. Spielmeyer; text edited by Frederick Startridge Ellis.
- The Canterbury Tales: Prologue.
- ss.1-2: p., Hooper's engraver's proofs on thin paper of cut of Chaucer by Burne-Jones, [Feb 1893?]; s.1 with annotation by Cockerell, s.2 with marks by Morris.
- ss.3-4: p., proofs on thin paper of borders (Hooper) and initial "Whan" with annotations
and retouching by Morris [Feb 1893?].
- ff.5-6: pp.-2, -16, bifolium proof on heavy paper, printer's marks by Morris
and annotation by Cockerell, [Aug 1894?]; f.5r one line longer that final version, f.6r illustration border different from
- s.7: p.11, proof, differing from final version, with annotations by Morris and 1945 annotation by Cockerell.
- The Knyghtes tale.
- ss.8-9: p.9, proofs on thin and heavy paper of initial "Whilom."
- ff.10-11: proofs on heavy paper of Hooper's engravings of cuts on pp.9, , ,
- s.12: [cf. pp.10-11], "First trial page" [Jul 1892?] proof on heavy paper with annotations by Morris and a Sep 1945 annotation by Cockerell.
- ss.13-17: proofs on thin paper of pp.20, 21, 27, 28, 29, lacking most initials, with
numerous textual annotations and revisions by Ellis and Morris.
- The miller's tale.
ss.18-20: proofs on thin paper of pp.33, 47, 48, lacking initials, with numerous textual
annotations and revisions by Ellis and Morris.
- The prioresses tale.
ss.21-22: p., proofs, one on heavy paper, of cut (Hooper) and cut border, with annotations by Morris.
- The tale of the wife of Bath.
ss.23-26: proofs lacking borders and most initials, of pp., 113, , .
- The tale of the clerk of Oxenford.
ss.27-28: two proofs (Hooper) of cut on p. with cut border replaced in final page; s.28 border retouched
- The squieres tale.
- s.29: p., proof of cut (Hooper) and cut border, with annotation and letter to Cockerell from Morris.
- s.30: p., proof on thin paper of initial "The," signed by W. Spielmeyer, 14 Feb 1895.
- The romaunt of the rose.
- s.31: p., proof on thin paper of initial "Many" [signed?] by C. E. Keates, 6 Apr 1895.
- ff.32-33v: pp. and , bifolium proof on thick paper.
- ss.34-35: pp. and , drawings for borders by Morris, in ink, graphite, and Chinese white, with annotations (ca. 1945) by Cockerell.
- ss.36-37: pp. and , proofs of borders on thin and thick paper.
- s.38: p., proof of cut, border cut, and border, with text (p.) pasted on; border replaced in
- Boethius de consolatione philosophie.
s.39: p., proof on thin paper of initial "Allas" dated 30 Aug 1895 in an unidentified hand.
- The legend of goode wimmen.
s.40: [p.416], proof on thin paper of initial A, dated 29 [Nov] 1895 in an unidentified hand.
- The hous of fame.
s.41: p., trial proof (Hooper) on thin paper of cut, with annotation by Cockerell about joke in this version.
- Troilus and Cressida.
s.42: p., proof on thin paper, of initial "Aprochen", dated 29 Feb 1896 in [Speilmeyer's?] hand.
- (2). Leighton, Barbara. Photograph of William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones at the Grange, 1890 or 1894; with annotation by Cockerell. With P.C. Duschenes's file about these leaves. 1 folders