Daniell, Thomas, 1749-1840. Drawings of India by Thomas and William Daniell: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: TypDr 805.D316.00m
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Daniell, Thomas, 1749-1840.
Title: Drawings of India by Thomas and William Daniell,
Quantity: 1 collection (4 boxes (.5 linear feet)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Drawings by British artists Thomas and William Daniell of India and the Far East.
FLH 458. Bequest of Frances L. Hofer; received: 1978.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Drawings of India by Thomas and William Daniell, 1789-1836 (TypDr 805.D316.00m). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Thomas and William Daniell were British artists.
36 drawings of India, on paper, in graphite, ink, wash and watercolor. Drawings relate to the Daniells'
travels in the Far East.
Notes refer to box sizes.
- 1. "Native Sailing Boats,"
- 2. "Budgerow with sail"
- 3. Sailing Boats, "Matabar Coast, 1793"
- 4. "A Fast Sailing Boat"
- 5. Untitled-. Five boat sketches
- 6. Untitled-. Ink drawing of a boat
- 7. Untitled-. Pencil sketch of two boats
- 8. Untitled-. Pencil sketch person on a boat
- 9. Untitled-. Sketch of three sheep
- 10-12. Untitled-. Three sketches, mounted on a single leaf
- (10) Head of a man with a trumpet; a tree, etc., Sz3
- (11) Landscape with.___, Sz3
- (12) Sketch of a man; a bearer with pole and casket, Sz3
- 13-15. Untitled-. Three sketches, mounted on a single leaf
- (13) Two heads in profile, wearing headdresses, Sz1
- (14) Head and shoulders of a man, Sz1
- (15) Two boats on a river, Sz1
- 16-17. Untitled-. Two drawings, mounted on a single leaf
- (16) Boats, Sz1
- (17) Boats, Sz1
- 19. Untitled-. Pencil sketch of a landscape with trees
- 20. Untitled-. Pencil sketch of a landscape with trees
- 21. "Birds attacking monkey on the Straits of Malacca"
Probably published in "The Oriental Annual, or Scenes in India by Hobart Caunter, London 1836, opp. p. 173.
- 22. "Korree near___." Drawing of architectural monument, with huts and people
- 23. "View on the Ganges"
- 24. "View of the Ganges and the Baia Temple" by W. Daniell
- 25. "Entrance to the Cave at Elephanta, near Bombay"
- 27. "Indian River Scene"
- 28. "Mussuman Buoji, Licknow"
- 29. "Near Cuchratta, Bengal"
- 30. "Scene in the Sunderrunds"
- 32. Untitled-, pencil sketch of a tree
- 33. "Tiger Island, China," 1793, by T. Daniell
- 34. "Tomb of Fuz Ali Khan, Gozeepone," 1788, b & w by T. Daniell
- 35. "Lucknow," 1789, color by T. Daniell
- 36. "Near cape Richardo in the Straits of Malacca,"color