MS Thr 436
Ehrmann, Herbert B. (Herbert Brutus), b. 1891. Herbert B. Ehrmann papers, 1915-1968:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Thr 436
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Ehrmann, Herbert B. (Herbert Brutus), b. 1891.
Title: Herbert B. Ehrmann papers,
Date(s): 1915-1968, (bulk) 1938-1942.
Quantity: 1 collection (2 linear feet (4 boxes and 1 folder)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence, scripts, and scrapbooks relating to the American dramatist and author
2003MT-136. Gift of Mrs. Herbert B. Ehrmann; received: 1971 February 17.
This finding aid describes a portion of the Ehrmann papers (2 boxes and 1 folder);
an additional 2 boxes, which were transferred from the Harvard Law School in April
2004, have not yet been processed and cataloged.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Herbert B. Ehrmann Papers, 1915-1968 (MS Thr436). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Ehrmann (1891-1970; A.B., 1912, LL.B., 1914) was an American dramatist and author.
Organized into the following series:
- I. Scripts
- II. Other papers
Contains scripts, scrapbooks, correspondence, contracts, box office statements, stories
and poems relating primarily to Ehrmann's theatrical career. Includes correspondence
between Ehrmann and the American dramatist and producer George S. Kaufman, pertaining
to their lawsuit (1938-1942).
- Series: I. Scripts
Scripts by Herbert B. Ehrmann.
- (1). Ach Du Liebe Ernestine, TS, [n.d.].
- (2). Boylston House, TS, [n.d.]. With programs from an amateur production, 1935.
- (3). The Case of Esther Connell, TS, 1919.
- (4). A Day in Court, TS, [n.d.].
- (5). The Demonstrator, TS, [n.d.]. With program from an amateur production, 1916.
- (6). Earl Lichtenstein, TS, [n.d.].
- (7). Failure, TS, [n.d.].
- (8). The Hyphenate, TS, [n.d.].
- (9). Joshua and Matred, 2 TS, [n.d.].
- (10). King of Numbers, 2 TS, 1942.
- (11). Last Furlough, TS, 1943.
- (12). Licence Revoked, 2 TS, [n.d.] and 1 published ed., 1935.
- (13). The Power of Andy, TS, [n.d.].
- (14). Purim Melody, TS, [n.d.].
- (15). Samuel Adams, TS, 1924. With 3 xeroxes of a letter from George Arliss to Ehrmann.
- (16). Satan's Finish, TS, [n.d.].
- (17). Spanish S'Plud, TS, [n.d.].
- (18). Sword of Goliath, 2 TS, 1951.
- (20). Under Persian Rule, TS, [n.d.]. With program from an amateur production, 1915.
- (22). Unidentified scene, TS, [n.d.].
- (23). The Union of the Soul of the Community and the Forum Spirit, TS, [n.d.].
- (24). Waltz Interlude, 2 TS, [1937.]
- Series: II. Other papers
- (25). 2 for Under This Roof, ca. 1940-1942. Red Barn Theatre production.
"The The Case History of Under This Roof" assembled by Jack R. Dreyfuss.
- Productions: miscellaneous materials
- (26). Sword of Goliath, 1951-1965. 1 folder of correspondence to agents; resume of play.
- (27). Under This Roof, 6 envelopes of promotion papers, production proposals, correspondence concerning productions,
programs,contracts, and box office statements, 1938-1942 and [n.d.].
- Herbert B. Ehrmann vs. George S. Kaufman:
- (28). 2 envelopes of correspondence and materials relating to the case, 1938-1942 and [n.d.].
Includes 3 letters from Kaufman to Ehrmann, 1938-1942 and 2 letters from Ehrmann to Kaufman (T.L.), 1940-1942.
- Miscellany: 1937-1968 and [n.d.]
- (29). 1 envelope of correspondence, primarily to agent, 1937-1944 and [n.d.].
- (30). 1 envelope of printed materials from the Authors League, Authors Guild, and Dramatists Guild, 1965-1968 and [n.d.].
- (31). 8 TS short stories, 1947-1948 and [n.d.].
- (32). 1 envelope of published and unpublished poems, MS and TS, [n.d.].
- (33). 1 framed photograph of Herbert B. Ehrmann in The Merchant of Venice, [n.d.].