Yeats, W. B. (William Butler), 1865-1939. W. B. Yeats papers, 1908-1934: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: F47-1, F47-2
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Yeats, W. B. (William Butler), 1865-1939.
Title: W. B. Yeats papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (0.5 linear feet (5 reels)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Drafts of essays, poems, and prose, as well as diaries and letters by Irish poet,
dramatist, and prose writer William Butler Yeats.
47F-1, 47F-2. Purchased from the General Microfilm Company, Brighton, Massachusetts; received: 1948 January 15.
These papers were in the hands of the Yeats family when they were microfilmed. Some
are now in the collection of the National Library of Ireland.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
The estate of W. B. Yeats must be contacted for permission to publish.
W. B. Yeats Papers, 1908-1934 (F47-1, F47-2). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Yeats was an Irish poet, dramatist, and prose writer, who received the Nobel Prize
for Literature in 1923.
Contains drafts of A vision, Player queen, Sailing to Byzantium, The speckled bird, and other works by William Butler Yeats, as well as drafts of essays and poems.
Also includes diaries and letters from William Butler Yeats to Jack Butler Yeats,
among other items.
- Reel I contents Reel I
- "The Speckled Bird," TS,
pp. 72-end. unfinished novel pp. 1-72 of TS are at end of reel V.
- "The Speckled Bird," MS,
pp. 1-97 in three exercise books; left and right edges of text are obscured by sprocket
- "Scenario of unwritten play," TS, 3pp.
- Drafts of The Player Queen, about 150 pages in two exercise books and assorted loose sheets.
- Occult jottings in MS: horoscope casting and a "Meditation" discussing themes for
- Reel II contents Reel II
- "The Poet;" prose description of a meeting with an old poet.
- Drafts of poems, including "The Tower".
- Diary, 1933-1934.
- Notes to plays and poems.
- Great Clock Tower material.
- Draft of "To the Tune of O'Donnell Abu."
- Draft of "Dialogue of Self and Soul" and "Death".
- Notes for The Winding Stair volume.
- MS book (1934)
- Note to The Great Clock Tower--new version.
- MS book (1913-1917)
- Diary and occult notebook 1913-1914,
Includes a long discussion of automatic script; four page entry in Maud Gonne's hand.
- Drafts of poems 1915-1917,
includes "Dolls" and "Ego Dominus Tuus".
- MS book (1928-1929)
- Diary 23 September 1928-1929.
- Drafts of poems, including "Meditations on Death."
- MS book (1928)
- A Vision revisions, including a draft of the 1937 introduction.
- MS book (1928-1930)
- Diary 1928-1930.
- Some drafts of poems, but mostly occult jottings and A Vision work.
- Drafts of some Crazy Jane poems, "Sailing to Byzantium," and "Byzantium."
- Player Queen corrections.
- Corrections of previous diary entries for publication.
- MS book "E" (1929?)
- Words upon the Window Pane scenario and drafts.
- Resurrection scenario and drafts.
- Emanuel Swedenborg, Angelic Wisdom concerning The Divine Love and concerning The Divine Wisdom (London, 1883),
Pages annotated by William Butler Yeats .
- Henri Bergson, Matter and Memory,
Trans. Paul and Palmer (n.d.), pages annotated by William Butler Yeats .
- The Life and Doctrines of Jacob Boehme (London, 1891),
Pages annotated by William Butler Yeats .
- Contemporary British Philosophy, Personal Statements, ed. Muirhead
- First Series (n.d.)
McTaggart section pages annotated by William Butler Yeats
- Second Series (n.d.)
G. E. Moore section pages annotated by William Butler Yeats .
- Reel III contents Reel III
- Player Queen drafts in several exercise books.
- Letter from Coburn to William Butler Yeats , 10 March 1919,
inviting him to stop at Harlech.
- MS book (begun 7 April 1921)
- Diary 1921-1922.
- A Vision material up to 1927.
- Drafts of poems,
- The remainder of this reel repeats material found on reel II.
- Reel IV contents Reel IV
- "Esoteric Section Journal" in exercise book dated Oct 1889.
- "Island of Statues" draft in two exercise books, first dated August 1889.
- "Mosada" drafts in exercise book and loose sheets.
- Letter to a girl included in Wade, Letters.
- Letter from Jack Butler Yeats to Dowden regarding William Butler Yeats 's verse.
- Various letters from William Butler Yeats to Jack Butler Yeats .
- Deirdre MSS in several exercise books;
one exercise book says "Deirdre MSS for John Quinn. "
- Essay on The Doctor in spite of Himself
(play adapted by Lady Gregory); dedicated to Lady Gregory 24 May
- "The Crater of Wild Olives"(play) scenario.
- Time and the Queen (play) fragment.
- Misc. unpublished early poems.
- Two drafts of a letter to T. Fisher Unwin
regarding early publishing rights.
- Wanderings of Oisin partial MS and a very few prose fragments.
- Fragments from Time and the Queen, "Mosada," and "Island of Statues."
- "The Feud" fragment of an early novel, 8 pages.
- Vivien and Time--A Tragedy MS, dedicatory poem dated 8 January 1884.
- Love and Death--A Tragedy MS, dated 21 April 1884.
- "The Lady of Tuneful Guile" MS
(early draft of "The Island of Statues").
- "The Blindness" (1886)
MS of unfinished play.
- Reel V contents Reel V
- TS "My Youth" by "Dora Comyn":
childhood autobiography of female narrator, 21 pages.
- "Diarmuid and Grania" fragment.
- MS book (begun 1930)
- Journal (begun Dec 1908)
- MS book
(begun 29 August
- "Sailing to Byzantium" drafts.