Adams, Abigail, 1808-1899, collector. Abigail Adams collection of Victorian autographs,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Widener Memorial Room
Call No.: HEW 16.3.16
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Adams, Abigail, 1808-1899, collector.
Title: Abigail Adams collection of Victorian autographs,
Quantity: 1 collection (.05 linear feet (1 volume)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Autographs of British nobility and ecclesiastical, literary, scientific and artistic
figures, assembled by Abigail Adams in 1864 for sale at the New York Metropolitan
Bookplate of A. Hamilton Rice and Eleanor Elkins (Widener) Rice. From the Harry Elkins
The items are foldered, the folder edges gilt, within a false book covered in full
Collection is open for research use.
These volumes are shelved in Widener Library in the Harry Elkins Widener Room. Retrieval
requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton Public Services staff
to determine retrieval policies and times.
Abigail Adams Collection of Victorian Autographs, 1837-1864 (HEW 16.3.16). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Arranged alphabetically by author.
The 128 autographs were assembled by Abigail Adams in 1864 for sale at the New York
Metropolitan Fair in that year. Some of the autographs are marked "written for this
collection." The autographs are of British (and a few French) nobility, and ecclesiastical,
literary, scientific and artistic figures. The earliest dated item is 1837.
- Chartres, Duc de Robert d'Orleans. Letter signed 20 July 1863.
- Clive, Caroline. Letter to: Mrs Ford 18 Nov. 1862.
- Cobden, Richard. Quotation written for the Autograph collection, 2 March 1864.
- Colchester, Earl of. To: J. Emerson Tennent, 15 Apr. 1853.
- Colenso (Bishop of Natal). Part of note signed.
- Collins, Wilkie, English Novelist, 1824-1889. To: Mrs Burgon, 12 July 1863.
- Crawford, John, Ethnologist. Description Of Bronze Bowl presented to Mrs Ford, 1 March 1864.
- Dennison, John Evelyn, Speaker of the House of Commons. Signature.
- Derby, Earl of. Signature on envelope.
- Devonshire, Duke of. Signature.
- Dickens, Charles. Quotation, signed 7 March 1864.
- Dickens, Charles. To: Emerson Tement 14 Apr. 1862.
- Candwell, Edward. Note to Mr. Adams
- Dufferin, Lord. Note to J. E. Tennent
- Dufferin, Lady Helen. Note to Emerson Tennent
- Eastlake, Sir Charles. Note to Mrs Horner
- Eastlake, Lady Elizabeth Rigby. June 28, 1852 Letter to Mr. Ford
- Erne, Earl of. Letter to J. E. Tennent
- Faraday. Envelope directed to Lady Lyeil. No signature.
- Forbes, (Professor). Letter to Mrs. Homer.
- Gibson, John. Letter to Mrs. Horner.
- Gibson, Thomas Milner. Letter to J. Emerson Tennent Jan. 23, 1864.
- Gladstone, William E. Note with signature.
- Grenely, Lord. Signature, Nov. 2, 1855.
- Grey, Sir George. Jan. 21, 1864, letter to Mr. Elliott.
- Grote, George. Envelope directed to Lady Lyell: not signed.
- Guizot. Signature on envelope.
- Hall, Mrs. S. C. [Anna Maria]. Note to Emerson Tennent. 1844 Apr.16 np.
- Hamilton, Lord Claude. Letter to Tennent.
- Hardwicke, Earl of. Letter signed "H."
- Herschell, Sir John. Note to Mrs. Horner
- Holland, Sir Henry. Note to Mrs. Adams.
- Holland, Lady Saba [Smith]. Letters to Mrs. Adams.
- Hooker, Joseph D. Letter to Lady Lyell, Jan. 2, 1858.
- Houghton, [Richard M. Milnes], Lord. Note to H. H.Milman Poem of 5 stanzas "England and America , 1863"
- Hughes, Thomas W. Letter to Mrs. Adams: March 9, 1864
- Hunt, Holman. Letter to Coventry Patmore, Nov. 21, 1852.
- Jameson, Mrs. Anna. Letter to Mr. Lyell
- Keene, Charles S. Letter, June 27, 1842
- Kinglake, A.W. Letter to Mr. Elliott, Jan. 21, 1864
- Kossuth. Note signed "K."
- Landseer, Edwin. Letter to Lady Tennent
- Lansdown, Marquis of. Note to Mr. Elliott
- Layard, Austin Henry. Letter to Lady Lyell, Sept. 26, 1861
- Lewis, Right Hon. George Cornwall. Signature
- Lockhart, John G. Letter to H.H. Milman
- Londonderry, Marquis of. Note to J. Emerson Tennent: June 10, 1855
- Louis-Phillippe, King. Part of letter with signature
- Lyell, Sir Charles. Signature.
- Lytton, Edward Bulwer. Letter to Emerson T. Dec. 9, 1859
- Bulwer-Lytton, Rosina. Letter to G.P. Patmore: August, 1838
- Macaulay, Thomas Babington. Note to the duke of Argyle Jan. 13, 1954
- Macready, W.C. Letter to Lady Tument, April 5, 1856
- Marcet, Mrs. Jane. Note to Miss Horner.
- Marse, Amelia (Queen of France). Part of letter with signature.
- Martineau, Harriet. Note to Mrs. Milman.
- Massey, Gerald, poet. Letter toPatmore.
- Mathews, Charles. Letter to P.G. Patmore.
- Millais, John E. Letter to Mrs. Patmore.
- Milman, H. H. (Dean of St. Paul's). Letter to Mrs. Adams, March 8, 1864
- Morpeth, Lord (Earl of Carlisle). Signature - See Carlisle .
- Murchinson, Roderick. Letter to Emerson Tennent, Apr. 1, 1856.
- Napier, J. Letter to J. Emerson Tennent.
- Newcastle, Duke of. Part of letter with signature.
- Norton, Mrs. Caroline. Letter to T. W. Hughes.
- Oliphant, Lawrence. Letter.
- Owen, Richard. Note to Mrs. Horner, Nov. 24, 1845.
- Palmerston, Viscount. Two signatures.
- Palmerston, Viscountess E. Signature.
- Peel, Robert. ALs to Emerson Tennent, 186 Oct. 6 np Also and note signed "R.P."
- Reade, Charles. Letter to Mrs. Burzon.
- Robins, George. ALs to: [unidentified] 1836 Jul. 29 np.
- Roden, Earl of. Note to J. Emerson Tennent.
- Rogers, Samuel. Note to Mrs. Milman.
- Russell, Lord. Signature.
- Seymour, Sir Hamilton. Signature.
- Smith, Goldwin. Letter, March 5, 1864.
- Smith, James. Note signed. [Author of Rejected Addresses]
- Smith, Sidney. ALs TO: Lady Holland, 1835 Dec. 2 np.
- Somerville, Mrs. Mary. Note to Mrs. Milman.
- Stanhope, Earl of [Lord Mahon]. Envelope addressed to Edm. Cardwell.
- Stanley, Arthur Penrhyn. SIGNATURE.
- Stanley, Lord. Letter to J. E. Tennent.
- Stanley, Lord. Note to J. E. Tennent. [Earl of Derby]
- Torrington, Viscount. Note to J. E. Tennent.
- Townshend, Viscount. Note to J. Emerson Tennent.
- Tricoupi S. Note to Emerson Tennent.
- Victoria, Queen of. England. Note in the name of "the Queen" without signature.
- Villiers, Charles. Signature.