Clarke, James Stanier, 1765?-1834. The life of Admiral Lord Nelson, K.B., from his
lordship's manuscripts, extra-illustrated: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: *fEC75.N3337.W809c (B)
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Clarke, James Stanier, 1765?-1834.
Title: The life of Admiral Lord Nelson, K.B., from his lordship's manuscripts, extra-illustrated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.1 linear feet (13 items inserted in 2 volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Manuscripts inserted into James Stanier Clarke, The life of Admiral Lord Nelson, K.B.,
from his lordship's manuscripts (London: T. Bensley, 1809), including letters, sketches,
Volumes accessioned as 45-1308F, manuscripts contained within accessioned as 45M-438F. Gift of Harry L. Bailey, 350 Park Avenue, New York, New York; received: 1945 Dec. 20.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
The Life of Admiral Lord Nelson, K.B., From his Lordship's Manuscripts, Extra-illustrated (*fEC75.N3337.W809c (B)). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
This volume also has plates, prints, and portraits inserted that are not listed in
this finding aid.
Contains 13 manuscript items, spanning 1786-1813, pertaining to Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson.
- (1). Melville, Henry Dundas, 1st viscount, 1742-1811. A.L.s. (Henry Dundas) to ; [n.p.] 23 Mar  folder (p.)
(v.I, p. 154).
- (2). Melville, Robert Saunder - Dundas, 2nd viscount, 1771-1851. A.L.s. (Melville) to ; [n.p., n.d.] 1l.
(v.II, p. 404).
- (3). Melville, Robert Saunder - Dundas, 2nd viscount, 1771-1851. A.L.s. (Melville) to [Sylvester Douglas, Baron] Glenbervie; [London] 6 Dec  folder (p.)
(v.II, p. 404).
- (4). Sketches of the plan and engagement off Cape S. Vincents 14th Feby 1797. with portraits
of the Spanish prizes.
Ms., 10l., varying sizes.
-  Title: verso blank.
-  Pencil sketches of battle action, recto and verso.
-  Watercolor, "Cape St. Vincents bearing No" verso blank.
-  Drawing in pencil of ships off Cape St. Vincent: 15.(1p.).
-  Pencil sketch showing order of the British fleet; verso blank.
-  "Sketch position of the British and Spanish fleets from half past 2 o'clock to
half past 3 o'clock ..." pen and ink, with Ms. notes; endorsed with name and date
of action on verso.
-  Pencil and wash drawing of Cape St. Vincents; verso blank.
-  Pencil and wash drawing of the action on recto, rough battle plans on verso.
-  Watercolor, "San Joseph 122", one of Nelson's prizes; verso blank.
-  MS. key to the drawing of the action, # (v.I, preceding appendix).