MS Am 1220, 1220.9-.13
Jeffries, John, 1745-1819. John Jeffries papers, 1768-1963: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b, pf
Call No.: MS Am 1220, 1220.9-.13
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Jeffries, John, 1745-1819.
Title: John Jeffries papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (3.5 linear feet (2 boxes, 4 portfolio volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English with a few in French.
Abstract: Papers of Boston physician and balloonist John Jeffries concerning his medical practice
and balloon ascensions.
50M-326-339, 342-346, 357-361. Deposited by Dr. James H. Means, 60 Mt. Vernon Street Boston; received: 1951; gift: 1951-1953.
68M-93. Gift of Mrs. J. H. Means, 60 Mt. Vernon Street Boston, Massachusetts; received: 1968 August 1.
Reformatted in 2015 by Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
John Jeffries Papers, 1768-1963 (MS Am 1220, 1220.9-.13). Houghton Library, Harvard
Jeffries was a Boston physician, surgeon, scientist, and the first man (with Jean-Pierre
Blanchard) to fly a balloon across the English Channel between England and France.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Letters and other papers concerning John Jeffries
- II. John Jeffries compositions and other papers
- III. Oversize materials
Includes 20 volumes of diaries and journals, 1779-1819, beginning with Jeffries work
as surgeon in British military hospitals in Nova Scotia and New York, service with
British troops in a campaign during the American Revolution, and his subsequent practice
in England. Diaries also contain Jeffries observations of balloon ascensions made
in England in 1784 and 1785 with Jean-Pierre Blanchard. Other material relating to
the balloon ascensions include bills and receipts; equipment lists; writings; agreement;
correspondence, 1784-1786, of contemporaries; and a pen and sepia wash drawing. Medical
papers include Jeffries' medical and surgical notebooks and essays, 1768-1775; orderly
books, 1776-1778, from his service as a surgeon; and diplomas and medical commissions.
Also includes papers about Jeffries, especially materials collected by Benjamin Joy
Jeffries and James Howard Means.
- Series: MS Am 1220. I. Letters and other papers concerning John Jeffries
- Series: II. John Jeffries compositions and other papers
- (14). Jeffries, John, 1745-1819, annotator. Printed almanac with autograph manuscript notes (unsigned); London, 1788. 1 volume in 1 folder.
Date: 1788. Jeffries, John, 1745-1819, annotator. Printed almanac with autograph manuscript notes
(unsigned); London, 1788
With marbled wrappers.
Appears to be in form of diary entries. Formerly labeled as: [Pocket account-book], 12 Jul 1768 - 31 Apr 1769.
Formerly: MS Am 1220.3.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 50M-329. Deposit, then gift of Dr. James H. Means; 1952 December 16.
- Series: III. Oversize materials
- MS Am 1220.9. Harvard University. Diploma of John Jeffries, M. A. : manuscript on vellum; Cambridge, 1768 December 30. 1s. (1p.) in 1 box.pf [shelved with 1220.11]
Date: 1768 Harvard University. Diploma of John Jeffries, M. A. : manuscript on vellum; Cambridge,
1768 December 30
Signed by Edward Holyoke, Nathanael Appleton, John Winthrop, Andrew Eliot, Samuel Cooper, Joseph Willard, and Thomas Hubbard.
50M-335. Gift 16 Dec 1952.
- MS Am 1220.10. Aberdeen. University. Diploma of John Jeffries, M. D. : manuscript on vellum; Aberdeen, 1769 May 22. 1s. (2p.) in 1 box.pf
Signed by Alexander Donaldson and others.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 50M-336. Deposit, then gift of Dr. James H. Means; 1952 December 16.
- MS Am 1220.13. Mondezer, de. Monument in forest of Guisnes to the Blanchard-Jeffries balloon flight : drawing ; pen and sepia wash; no place, circa 1785. 1 boxespf
The original of a smaller etched print.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 50M-339. Deposit, then gift of Dr. James H. Means; 1953 December 10.