MS Thr 482
Lindquist, John. John Lindquist collection, 1910-1985: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Processed and encoded as part of the Dance Heritage Coalition Access to Dance Research
Resources Project, funded in part by the National Endowment for the Humanities
Location: b, pfd
Call No.: MS Thr 482
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Lindquist, John.
Title: John Lindquist collection
Quantity: 71 linear feet
Language of materials: Materials are in English.
Abstract: Photographs, slides, negatives, 16mm films, correspondence, objects, ephemera, periodicals,
personal papers, programs and published photographs of dance photographer John Lindquist.
No accession number. Bequest of John Lindquist via Stephan Driscoll, ca. 1980.
Additional materials were acquired as a gift of Stephan Driscoll; these items are identified within the finding aid.
Amy Leigh and Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
John Lindquist Collection, 1910-1985 (MS Thr 482). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
John Lindquist (1890-1980) was a Boston area photographer who concentrated on dance-related
photography. He was a lover of dance and theater, and in his early days as a photographer
supported himself as a head cashier at Filenes. He began photographing Ted Shawn and
his men dancers in 1938 and was the official photographer for the Jacob's Pillow Dance
Festival for four decades, from 1940 until his death. He formed close friendships
with many dancers and choreographers; the collection includes much correspondence
from Ted Shawn and others involved with Jacob's Pillow.
Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, located in Becket, Mass., got its start in 1930 when
Ted Shawn purchased the property known as Jacob's Pillow. He used the farm as a summer
dance theater and residence for his group of men dancers from 1933 to 1939. In 1941
the property was purchased from Shawn and Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival was incorporated
as an educational, artistic, non-profit organization, with Shawn named as founder
and artistic director. Jacob's Pillow was the first dance festival in the U.S., and
remains a unique institution. The Ted Shawn Theatre was built in 1942, one of the
first theaters built specifically for presentation of choreographic works, and has
been enlarged over the years. Shawn remained director until his death in 1972; subsequent
directors include John Christian (1972), Walter Terry (1973), Charles Reinhart (1974),
Norman Walker (1975-1979), Liz Thompson (1980- ). Hundreds of choreographic works
have premiered at Jacob's Pillow, and many U.S. debuts have occured there, representing
dancers and companies from all over the world.
Organized into the following series:
- Photographs, 1917-1984 and undated [Boxes 1-35]
- Objects Boxes
- Personal papers
- Published photographs
- Drawings, posters, etc...
Collection includes the archives of John Lindquist including photographs, slides,
negatives, and a few 16mm films. Also includes correspondence, drawings, objects,
ephemera, periodicals, posters personal and business papers, programs and published
The Photographs series contains 7,426 photographic prints (black/white, color, and
sepia toned) and 2,803 contact sheets (35 boxes, 2 drawers (15 linear ft.)), depicting
dancers, choreographers, and other people (chiefly affiliated with Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival), as well as choreographic works staged at Jacob's Pillow, particularly those of
Ted Shawn and Ruth St. Denis. It spans the dates from 1917-1984 and undated. Also includes photographs of Jacob's
Pillow buildings and surroundings, artistic photographs, and some subjects unrelated
to dance. Also includes a large number of portraits of unidentified subjects. Includes photographs primarily taken and printed by Lindquist,
as well as some photographs printed by Stephan Driscoll from Lindquist negatives. Also includes some photographs by other photographers, including
Driscoll, and John Van Lund. Most of the photographs are not dated. Includes original prints, negatives and slides
photographed by John Lindquist.
Correspondents include Ted Shawn, Ruth St. Denis, John Christian, Grace Badorek, Barton
Mumaw, Hamilton Revelle. Objects include sculpture done by Lindquist and photo-engraved
copper plates of Lindquist photographs. Personal papers include Keene (N.H.) High
School diploma from 1910, and a certificate from (Mass.) Gov. King dedicating the
1980 Jacob's Pillow season to Lindquist. Also includes documents and clippings pertaining
to travel, including a trip to Russia in 1932. The collection also contains programs,
posters and reprints of Lindquist photographs.
All except the slides, negatives and films were formerly indexed into databases in
the Harvard Theatre Collection that have since been turned into this finding aid.
Former databases had filenames: LINDPHOT, LINDOTH, LINDSLID.
- Series: I. Photographs
Date: 1917-1984 and undated
: Series is organized into the following subseries:
- Photographs of dancers, choreographers, and other people
- Still lifes, travel and other artistic and miscellaneous photographs
- Unidentified photographs
The smaller items are housed as bMS in boxes and folders, and the larger are in flat
portfolio-sized drawers, entries below are marked (PFD).
- B. Still lifes, travel and other artistic and miscellaneaous photographs
Arrangement: Subseries is arranged alphabetically by subject.
Scope and Contents: Includes photographs of: drawings and paintings by unidentified artists; Rio de Janeiro; animals; Puerto Rico; unidentified buildings, including interior and exterior views of houses, estates,
a mosque, churches; sculpture; a mural by James Reynolds; landscapes and other exterior views; parts of bodies (arms, legs, feet, torso); still-life.
Also includes photographs of buildings at Jacob's Pillow, including the Ted Shawn Theatre, the water-tower and studios.
- Aerial view. 1 photograph : b & w ; 21 x 13 cm. Box 19 Folder 1
Subjects: Aerial photographs.
- Interior of a church. 1 photograph : b & w ; 10 x 7 cm. Box 19 Folder 2
Subjects: Architecture -- Photographs.
- Bull fight. 3 photographs : b & w ; 7 x 9 cm. Box 19 Folder 9
- Cow in a stall. 2 photographs : b & w ; 11 x 13 cm. Box 19 Folder 10
- 634. Dogs. 1 photograph, 1 contact sheet : b & w ; 26 x 21 cm. 1 photograph : sepia ; 51 x 41
cm.and (PFD) Box 19 Folder 11-12
Includes photo of poodle; contact sheet of unidentified dog.
- Sculpture (statue) of a horse. 1 photograph : b & w ; 26 x 21 cm. Box 19 Folder 13
Subjects: Equestrian statues -- Photographs.
- Sculpture of a female torso. 2 photographs : sepia ; 14 x 11 cm. Box 19 Folder 14
Sculpture is by Lindquist.
Subjects: Equestrian statues -- Photographs.
- Unidentified houses, interior views. 6 photographs, 4 contact sheets : b & w ; 21 x 26 cm., or smaller. Box 19 Folder 15-16
Subjects: Interior architecture -- Photographs.
- Loading coffee at Santos, Puerto Rico. 1 photograph : b & w ; 13 x 19 cm. Box 19 Folder 17
- Mask. 1 photograph : b & w ; 17 x 13 cm. Box 19 Folder 18
Subjects: Masks (Sculpture) -- Photographs.
- Organ. 1 photograph : b & w ; 26 x 21 cm. Box 19 Folder 19
Manual (?), with four keyboards and foot pedals.
- Photographs of drawings and paintings. 22 photographs : b & w ; 28 x 22 cm., or smaller. Box 19 Folder 33-34
Artists and works generally not identified; photographs may not all be by
- Ship's mast. 1 photograph : b & w ; 33 x 24 cm. Box 19 Folder 35
Subjects: Photography, Artistic.
- Lamp with relief sculpture of male nude. 2 photographs : b & w ; 18 x 13 cm. Box 19 Folder 37
Subjects: Relief (Decorative arts) -- Photographs.
- Marble sculpture of a horse's head. 3 photographs : b & w ; 27 x 21 cm., or smaller. Box 19 Folder 38
Subjects: Sculpture -- Photographs.
- Seaplane in San Juan, Puerto Rico. 1 photograph : b & w ; 13 x 19 cm. Box 19 Folder 41
- Still-life, flowers. 1 photograph : b & w ; 26 x 21 cm. Box 19 Folder 42
Subjects: Still-life photography.
- Two horses. 1 photograph : b & w ; 15 x 25 cm. Box 19 Folder 43
- Unidentified infant. 2 photographs : b & w ; 14 x 10 cm. Box 19 Folder 44
- Vases. 2 photographs : b & w ; 26 x 21 cm. Box 19 Folder 45
Subjects: Vases -- Photographs.
- C. Unidentified photographs
Includes portraits of unidentified men, women and groups of people, many dancers,
some in unidentified productions. Most of the photographs seem to have been taken
at Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival.
- Miscellaneous contact prints, identified by negative album. 38 photographs : b & w ; 7 x 7 cm., or smaller. Box 27
Identified as: Album 9, envelope 13, neg. holder 82; Album 11, envelope 16,
- Series: II. Correspondence
- Correspondence, A-G. 61 items Box 36 Folder 1
Includes letters, cards, and a telegram.
Correspondents include: Hal Abbey, Carinne Binda, Ambrose Dubek, Lotte Goslar, Harry Wagstaff Gribble, and Anne hutchinson Guest.
- Correspondece, S-Z. 45 items Box 36 Folder 4
Includes cards and letters.
Correspondents include: John schubert, Terry Shannon, Zachary Solov, Sam Steen, Walter Terry, Jan Veen, Norman Walker, and George Watson.
- Envelopes. Box 36 Folder 7
- Badorek, Grace. Letters to John Lindquist, 1963-1972. 8 items Box 37, Folder 1
Includes 1 Christmas card, undated.
- Christian, John. Letters to John Lindquist, 1960-1979 and undated. 17 items Box 37, Folder 2
- Fredericks, Robert. Letters to John Lindquist, 1978. 9 items Box 37, Folder 3
Includes 8 color photographs taken by Fredericks with notes to Lindquist written on the back.
- Harvard University. Letters to John Lindquist, 1966-1980. 21 items Box 37, Folder 4
Correspondents include: Helen Willard, Jeanne Newlin, and Iris Fanger.
- Humphries, Larry. Letters to John Lindquist, 1963-1969. 7 items Box 37, Folder 5
- Mumaw, Barton, 1912-. Letters to John Lindquist, 1939-1979 and undated. 14 items Box 37, Folder 6
Includes color photographs with manuscript notes from Mumaw to Lindquist.
- National Ballet Guild of Canada. Letters to John Lindquist, 1953. 5 items Box 37, Folder 7
- Revelle, Hamilton, 1872-1958. Letters to John Lindquist, 1923-1956. 100 items Box 37, Folder 8
- Revelle, Hamilton, 1872-1958. Letters to John Lindquist, undated. 28 items Box 37 Folder 9
- Revelle, Hamilton, 1872-1958. Cards and photographs sent to John Lindquist, undated. 35 items Box 37 Folder 10
Includes drawings, prints, cards, and photographs by Revelle sent to Lindquist by Arthur L. H. Engstrom.
- Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972. Letters to John Lindquist, 1970-1971. 31 items Box 38, Folder 1
- Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972. Letters to John Lindquist, 1968-1969. 28 items Box 38, Folder 2
- Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972. Letters to John Lindquist, 1963-1967. 80 items Box 38, Folder 3
- Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972. Letters to John Lindquist, 1960-1962. 54 items Box 38, Folder 4
- Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972. Letters to John Lindquist, 1957-1959. 26 items Box 38, Folder 5
- Shawn, Ted, 1891-1972. Letters to John Lindquist, 1939-1956 and undated. 37 items Box 38, Folder 6
Also includes telegrams and 2 sheets of Shawn Dancers Inc. stationary.
- St. Denis, Ruth, 1880-1968. Letters to John Lindquist, 1941-1964 and undated. 20 items Box 38, Folder 7
Also includes telegrams.
- Taylor-Gaunder, Tim. Letters to John Lindquist, 1979 and undated. 5 items Box 38, Folder 8
- Woods, Gurdon and George Woods. Letters to John Lindquist, 1944 and undated. 8 items Box 38, Folder 9
Also includes letters about Gurdon and George Woods affairs.
- Series: III. Objects
- Eye glasses in case. 2 objects Box 39 Item 2
Glasses belonged to John Lindquist. Wire-rim bifocal glasses in leather-covered case.
- Cigarette case. 1 objects Box 39 Item 3
Metal with monogram, J.L. on top. Top and bottom are painted blue (over metal).
- Photograph of Ted Shawn pas de Basque, by John Lindquist : photo-engraved copper plate. 1 objects Box 39 Item 4
Copper plate mounted on wood. On marble stand.
- Photograph of Ted Shawn and his Men Dancers, in Dance of the ages by John Lindquist
: photo-engraved copper plate. 1 objects Box 39 Item 5
Copper plate mounted on wood.
- Photograph of male dancer in action by John Lindquist. 1 objects Box 39 Item 6
Copper plate mounted on wood.
- Rubber stamp, John Lindquist 198 Dartmouth Street, Boston, Mass. 1 objects Box 39 Item 7
Address has been cut away, only name part of stamp remains.
- ID bracelet, John Lindquist, Boston, Mass. 1 objects Box 39 Item 8
- 5 pairs of ballet shoes. 10 objects Box 40 Item 1
Mostly toe shoes.
- Winter hat. 1 objects Box 40 Item 2
Winter wool hat worn by John Lindquist.
- Framed nameplate for John Linquist. 1 objects 11 x 33 cm. Box 40 Item 3
- Sculpture of a male head. 1 objects 45 x 18 cm. (with base). Box 41 Item 1
In white plaster. Sculpture may have been done by John Lindquist.
- Series: IV. Periodicals
- Periodical issues : printed 4 boxes Boxes 42-45
Issues of periodicals, primarily related to dance, fine arts, and photography. Unsorted.
- Series: V. Personal papers
- Lindquist, John. Calendars, 1973-1974. 2 items Box 46, Folder 1
Unused calendars from "The Place" with modern dance photographs, given to Lindquist
by " Anne and David and family."
- Lindquist, John. Business papers, 1922-1979. 11 items Box 46, Folder 2
Includes 1922 receipt of payment to Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, tax receipt
from Jacob's Pillow, purchase order from Salem State College, insurance papers, and
loan agreement form.
- Ted Shawn and His Men Dancers. Itineraries and route lists, 1939. 3 items Box 46, Folder 3
- Lindquist, John. Jupiter Rex flying certificate, 1933? 1 items Box 46, Folder 4
- Suffolk Superior Court. Traverse jurors criminal session jury list, 1939 March. 1 items Box 46, Folder 5
List includes John Lindquist.
- Lindquist, John. Miscellaneous papers. 17 items Box 46 Folder 6
- Lindquist, John. Newsletters, bulletins, etc... 6 items Box 46 Folder 7
- Invitation to presentation of John Lindquist Kodachromes
- Brochure from Modern school of Sculpture
- National Dance Association bulletin number 1
- TCB Artists Update (Mass Arts & Humanities Foundation)
- Brochure from Pilates Foundation - Return to life through contrology
- Lindquist, John. Notes and drawings. 20 items Box 46 Folder 8
Most are in Lindquist's hand.
- Lindquist, John. Personal effects. 4 items Box 46 Folder 9
- Senior citizens ID card for MBTA
- Boston YMCA Union card, 1979
- American Association of Retired Persons membership card (expires Nov. 1980)
- Fenway Community Health Center appointment card
- Lindquist, John. Poems. 28 items Box 46 Folder 10
Many are dedicated to John Lindquist; some may be by him.
- Lindquist, John. Travel, 1929-1940. 26 items Box 46, Folder 11
Various documents and clippings to do with trips taken by Lindquist, including a trip to Russian in 1932; itinerary
for trip to Europe in 1929; 2 passports 1929 and 1936; and passenger lists.
- Lindquist, John. Scrapbook pages. 23 pages Box 47 Folder 1
Includes clippings, correspondence, invoices. many items have to do with home projects.
- Lindquist, John. Scrapbook pages. 12 pages Box 47 Folder 2
Includes cards, photographs (reproductions), mementos, clippings, and copies of letters received while in the army.
- Lindquist, John. Certificate from Governor King dedicating 1980 season of Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival to John
Lindquist, 1980 July 1. 1 items Box 48, Folder 1
- Lindquist, John. Design studies. 52 items Box 48 Folder 2
Includes: Sketches, watercolors, and drawings by Lindquist.
- Lindquist, John. Russian language notes. 97 pages Box 48 Folder 3
Also includes notes from other language studies (French and German).
- Lindquist, John. Russian language notes on hand-drawn clock with plastic-covered hour and minute hands.
1 items Box 48 Folder 4
- Lindquist, John. Photography clippings. 163 items Box 49 Folder 1
Primarily newspaper and magazine clippings pertaining to photography.
- Lindquist, John. Photography notes. 23 items Box 49 Folder 2
Notes taken by Lindquist pertaining to photography.
- Lindquist, John. Photography, technical information. 199 items Box 49 Folders 3-9
Includes spec sheets, price lists, and instruction books.
- Lindquist, John. Index cards for composers. 1 tied box. Box 49 Item 10
- Series: VI. Programs
- Lindquist, John. Fliers, announcements, etc.. of programs by John Lindquist, 1945-1959 and undated. 18 items Box 51, Folder 1
- Ballet Theatre. Programs and fliers, 1942-1952 and undated. 14 items Box 51, Folder 2
Most items are from the Boston Opera House.
- Ballet Russe and Royal Danish Ballet at Boston Opera House programs, 1940-1956. 7 items Box 51, Folder 3
5 programs from Ballet Russe from 1940; 2 from Royal Danish Ballet from 1956.
- Boston Dance Theatre program announcements, 1949-1951. 9 items Box 51, Folder 4
Includes announcement of program with John Lindquist presentaion of Kodachromes.
- Miscellaneous programs, fliers, announcements, etc..., 1936-1979 and undated. 48 items Box 51, Folder 6
Includes programs of: Ted Shawn, Ruth St. Denis, and Barton Mumaw.
- Series: VII. Published photographs
- Lindquist, John. Dancers in flight : photographic placcard, 2 items 13 x 18 cm. (26 x 21 cm., mounted) Box 53, Folder 1
"Boston City Hall ... October 2-31, 1978. " Includes photo of Robert Powell by Lindquist. One of the cards in not mounted.
- Lindquist, John. Reprints of photographs. 58 items Box 53 Folder 2
Fliers, announcements, etc... Includes photos of Ted Shawn, Ted Shawn and His Men
Dancers, Ruth St. Denis, La Meri Carola Goya, and Matteo.
- Miscellaneous published photographs. 16 items Box 53 Folder 4
Fliers, announcements, cards, etc...
- Lindquist, John. Dance collection from Dance we must. 3 ring binder : 30 cm. Box 53 Folder 6
42 pages, black and white photographs. Includes preface by Ted Shawn, in calligraphy
done by Wm. Whitworth.
- Series: X. Films
Marked in HOLLIS: Series X: Films A, B, C, E. Viewing copy housed with original; digibeta
master in storage.