MS Am 1189
Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882. Ralph Waldo Emerson miscellaneous correspondence,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1189
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882.
Title: Ralph Waldo Emerson miscellaneous correspondence,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Abstract: Correspondence of the Transcendentalist poet and essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Received from various sources at various times. Accession information is given with
the item entry.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Ralph Waldo Emerson Miscellaneous Correspondence, 1825-1881 (MS Am 1189). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Ralph Waldo Emerson was an American lecturer, poet, and essayist, and the leading
exponent of New England Transcendentalism.
Arranged alphabetically by correspondent or title.
"Catch-all" collection chiefly consisting of letters from Emerson to various correspondents,
including Thomas Carlyle, Edward Everett Hale, and Samuel Gray Ward.
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882. A.L.s. to [James Thomas] Fields; [Concord] 12 Nov [1800?] 1s.(2p.)
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882. A.L.s.(xerox copy) to Elizabeth Brown Francis; Cambridge, 18 Feb 1825. 4s.(4p.)
Original in the Capt. Robert Bennet Forbes House.
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882. A.L.s. to Thaddeus William Harris; Concord, 30 Jun 1850. 1s.(2p.)
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882. 2 A.L.s.(xerox copies) to George Frisbie Hoar:
The originals are in the Hoar Papers, Massachusetts Historical Society.
- Concord, 2 Apr 1867. 2s.(3p.)
- Same, 19 Apr 1877. 2s.(2p.) env.
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882. A.L.s.(photostat) to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow; Concord, 12 Dec  1s.(4p.)
Original in Longfellow collection.
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882. A.L.s. (initials) to Samuel Gray Ward; [n.p.] 7 Sep 1850. 1s.(4p.)
bMS Am 1088.