Autograph File, S
Autograph File, S, 1556-1996: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Autograph File, S
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Autograph File, S,
Quantity: 1 collection (7.7 linear feet (15.5 boxes)
Abstract: The Autograph File is an alphabetically arranged collection of single letters, manuscripts,
and drawings received from various sources at various times. Additions continue to
Received from various sources at various times. Accession information is given with
the item entry. The most recent addition to this portion of the Autograph File was
made 2016 September 22.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Images linked to the finding aid describing this collection are intended for public
access and educational use. This material is owned and/or held by the Houghton Library,
and is provided solely for the purpose of teaching or individual research. Any other
use, including commercial reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution
requires the permission of the curator.
Autograph File, S, 1556-1996. Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Arranged alphabetically by author or title if there is no author.
The Autograph File is a collection of items received singly or in small groups from
various sources at various times, and autograph collections, such as that of Evert
J. Wendell, which were not kept together as a distinct collection. Items in this portion
of the Autograph File include letters from Carl Sandburg, George Santayana, John Singer
Sargent, Johann Schiller, Sir Walter Scott, William Henry Seward, George Bernard Shaw,
Mary Shelley, Percy Bysshe Shelley, William Tecumseh Sherman, Jared Sparks, Gertrude
Stein, Adlai Stevenson, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Jonathan Swift.
- Sadler, James. 2 letters to [ ] Simmons:
- St. John, John Pierce, 1833- 3 letters to Henry Chandler Bowen
- A.L.s.; Olathe, 16 Jan 1884. 1s.(1p.)
- A.L.s.; same, 9 Jun 1884. 1s.(1p.)
- Saint-Pierre, Charles Irénée Castel de, 1658-1743. Abstract and drafts of 2 compositions, ca. 1711 and 1795-1801. 1 folders
Date taken from the tentative publication date of Saint-Pierre's Projet de paix perpetuelle.
In May of 2010, a reader suggests the attribution to Saint-Pierre is partially incorrect.
He suggests that Saint-Pierre probably did author the Projet de paix... summary, but not the Conclusions...as he was dead by 1743 and the Conclusions were written during the French Revolution ca.
- Projet de paix perpetuelle : abstract (summary) of the third draft
- "Conclusions politiques & interessantes por etablir la balance entre les puissance
de l'Europe opposées au sisteme usurpateur actuel du triumvir des souverains du nord
soudoyes par l'Angleterre" : 3 successive drafts (documents)
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *2006M-19. Removed from *FC7.Sa282.711p. Purchased from Gerits with funds from the E. & B. Rose fund.
- Saint Simon, Louis de Rouvroy, duc de, 1675-1755. A.D.s.; [Paris?] 9 Mar 1731. 1s.(2p.)
Receipted by [ ] Lemoyne.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *42M-499 (136). Gift of Dr. Harris Kennedy,26 Jan 1943.
- Saint Thomas, père [ ]. 3 MS.L.s. to Luiz de Vasconcellos e Sousa, 3. conde de Castello Melhor:
- Turin, 15 Sep 1677. 1s. (2p.)
- Same, 25 Sep 1677. 1s. (2p.)
- Saint Thomas fils, [ ]. 4 MS.L.s. to Luiz de Vasconcellos e Sousa, 3. conde de Castello Melhor:
- Turin, 9 Dec 1677. 1s. (4p.)
- Same, 19 Dec 1677. 1s. (3p.)
- [N.p.] 15 Jan 1678. 1s. (3p.)
- Saint Thomas fils [ ] 4 MS.L.s. to Luiz de Vasoncellos e Sousa, 3. conde de Castello Melhor:
- Turin, 5 Mar 1678. 1s. (2p.)
- Same, 8 Jul 1679. 1s. (4p.)
- Same, 26 Aug 1679. 1s. (3p.)
- Salinas, Pedro, 1892-1951. 2 A.L.s. to Luis Ortega:
- Middlebury, 10 Aug 1947. 1s.(2p.)
- Saltonstall, Leverett, 1783-1845. A.L.s. to [ ]; Salem, 21 May 1841. 1s.(2p.)
- Sand, George, pseud. of Mme. Dudevant, 1804-1876. Letters of George Sand to various correspondents are collected in bMS Fr 106.
- Sargent, Epes, 1813-1880. 2 letters to Edwin Percy Whipple:
- A.L.s.; Boston, 9 Nov 1872. 1s.(2p.)
- Sargent, John Osborne, 1811-1891. 2 letters to Epes Sargent:
- A.L.s.; [n.p.] 10 Mar 1827. 1s.(4p.)
- Sargent, John Singer, 1856-1925. 2 A.L.s. to Grenville Lindall Winthrop:
- (1). Boston, 28 Feb  1s. (3p.)
- Sargent, Lucius Manlius, 1826-1864. The death of Lieutenant-Colonel L. M. Sargent, Jr. : printed obituary, 1864. 1 folders
Sargent was a physician in Boston, killed on 9 December 1864 at Bellefield Station
(Va.); he was a member of Company H, 1st Cavalry Regiment Massachusetts.
Reprinted from the Daily advertiser of 20 December 1864.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 2014M-67. Purchased with funds from the Thomas W. Streeter Fund, 2014 October 15.
- Sata, Comte Washington, Dec. 16, 1885
To Ben. W. Austin
- Savage, Richard Henry, 1846-1903. 2 letters to James Grant Wilson:
- A.L.s.; New York, 9 Dec 1893. 1s.(1p.)
- Schliemann, Heinrich, 1822-1890. Letters to A. Loudon Snowden, as follows;
- A.L.(unsigned) Athens, 9 Jan 1890. 1s.(2p.)
- A.L.s. Athens, 24 Jan 1890. 1s.(1p.)
- Schmidt, Arno, 1914- .[Notes for Julia, undated]. 3s.(3p.)
Removed from Julia, oder, Die Gemälde, 1983.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *2004M-139 Removed from *GC9.Sch528.983j.
- Schulz. ALS to: 1843 Sep.21 Berlin 2pp
- Schütz. ALS to: 1827. Sep.15 Magdenburg 1pp
- Seaman, Owen London, April 3, 1916. Signature only.
- Searle, James, 1730-1797. A.L.s. to [ ]; Bordentown [?] 29 Dec 1787. 1s.(1p.)
- Sedgwick, Arthur G. (Arthur George), 1844-1915. The nation 1865-1915 : typescript with autograph manuscript revisions and additions; New York, 1915. 31s.(31p.)
Article published in the Nation's 50th anniversary issue, 1915 July 8.
With typescript letter (signed) and autograph manuscript (signed) note from William M. Armstrong to William A. Jackson of Houghton Library,
Date: 1960 September 29.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No accession number. Gift of Susan Sedgwick Hamond (Mrs. Paul L. Hammond); received: 1960 September 29. [Found with: MS Storage 281.
Collection materials assembled by Carolyn Jakeman].
- Sedgwick, Daniel Letters to Edwin Francis Hatfield:
- A.L.s.; London, 11 May 1874. 4s.(9p.)
- A.L.s.; London, 31 May 1874. 1s.(1p.)
- Sedgwick, Theodore, 1780-1839. 2 letters to William Buell Sprague:
- A.L.s.; Stockbridge, 14 Apr 1831. 1s.(3p.)
- Serizawa, Keisuke, 1895-1984. Inscriptions on yellow decorated handmade paper by Serizawa and Bunshō Jugaku; Japan, 1937. 1 folders
Inscription is the same on two sheets of paper: "Shōwa 12-nen, haru, Tōkyō, Kamata,
Serizawa Keisuke. Kyōto, Mukōmachi, Jugaku Bunshō."
Removed from a copy of a limited edition of Ehon Don Kihōte stencilled and hand colored by Serizawa, commissioned by Carl T. Keller and published by the private press of Jugaku, Kōjitsuan, .
Immediate Source of Acquisition: Removed from SC6.C3375.Ex936s (D).
- Sermons in unidentified hands; various places, ca. 1747-1790. 4 items in 3 folders.
These four sermons are noted as having been preached to New England congregations,
at least one in Cambridge.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *51M-238. Gift of A. Dunster, Box 563, Tryon, North Carolina; received: 2 May 1952.
- Sewall, H F 4 A.L.s. to [Charles C.] Moreau:
- New York, 6 Mar 1893. 1s.(2p.)
- same, 17 Mar 1893. 2s.(3p.)
- same, 8 Jan 1895. 1s.(2p.)
- Sexton, Eric Hyde Lord, 1902-1980. Introduction to the first George Parker Winship Lecture held at the Houghton Library,
Harvard University, 1968. 1 folders
Found in John B. Stetson's copy of John Barnard and his associates (1927).
With manuscript annotation by Roger E. Stoddard on the verson.
The first Winship Lecture was given by A.N.L. Munby on May 1, 1968.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 2014M-129. Gift of Roger E. Stoddard, 2014 December 10.
- Sharp, Eunice E. Flags and national hymns of the United States England and France : manuscript with drawings, 1917. 1 folders
Scope and Contents: Colored illustrations of the national flags with the lyrics to the corresponding national
songs, with an illustrated cover.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 2016M-35. Source unknown.
- Sheldon, Edward Brewster, 1886- 3 letters to Alexander Woolcott:
- T.L.s.; [New York] 25 Jan  1s.(1p.)
- T.L.s.; same, [n.d.] 1s. (1p.)
- Shepherd, John L T.L.s. to [ ] Hall; New York, 16 Oct 1908. 1s.(1p.)
- Sheridan, Frances (Chamberlaine), 1724-1766. A.L.s. to [Samuel Richardson]; [n.p.] 18 Dec 1757. 1s.(4p.)
Docketed in the hand of Samuel Richardson.
With MS. annotations in the hand of Anna Letitia (Aikin) Barbauld, and deletions by her.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *81M-57 (1). Transferred from Dumbarton Oaks, Apr 1982.
- Sheridan, Richard Brinsley, 1751-1816. A.L.s. to [Daniel Jarvis];[Margate, 15 Aug 1788] 1s.(1p.)
With this is letter from Longmans & Co. to [J] Denno, 20 Jun 1825. 1s.(2p.)
And A.L.s. Daniel Jarvis to Thomas Moore.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *41-1299F. Purchased with the F.E.Chase fund, 7 Oct 1941.
- Sherman, William Tecumseh, 1820-1891. 2 letters to Adam Badeau:
- A.L.s.; St. Louis, 27 Feb 1884. 1s.(4p.)
- Sibley, John Langdon, 1804-1885. 2 A.L.s. to Nathaniel G. Snelling:
- [Cambridge] Dec 1845. 1s.(4p.)
- Sinclair, Upton, 1878-1968. 2 letters to [ ]:
- A.L.s.; [n.p., Aug 1901]. 1s.(1p.)
- Skeat, Walter William, 1835-1912. 2 A.L.s.to [Frederick James] Furnivall:
- [N.p.] 12 Mar 1891. 1s.(4p.)
- Smart, Christopher, 1722-1771. A.L.s. to Charles [Burney]; Market Downham, 29 Jul 1749. 1s. (1p.)
With this is a transcript of the letter made by Frances (Burney) d'Arblay. 1s.(1p.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *55M-19,20. Purchased with the Bemis fund from Maggs Brothers, Ltd., 14 Sept 1955.
- Smart, Elizabeth, 1913-1986. Autograph letter signed to David Gascoyne, undated. 1 folders
Letter addressed to David and Judy Gascoyne.
Removed from David Gascoyne's copy of Smart's A bonus, 1977.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 2011M-80. Purchased with funds from the George Cabot Lodge and Joseph Trumbull Stickney Memorial
- Smith, Elizabeth Oakes (Prince) 1806-1893. 2 letters to [S] [P] Whipple:
- A.L.s.; Brooklyn, 12 Jun 1851. 1s.(4p.)
- Smith, John Lawrence, 1818-1883. 2 letters to Jacob Whitman Bailey:
- A.L.s.; Charleston, 23 Sep 1844. 1s.(3p.)
- Smith, Josiah Charles Town, South Carolina March 3, 1770
To Rev. William Smith (Photostat)
Also letter from Worthington, C.Ford presenting the above letter.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No date or source.
- Smith, Priscilla C T.L.s. to Jacob Blanck; Boston, 28 Jul 1950. 1s.(1p.);
with A. note on bottom from J. Blanck.
Concerns the 1st printing of The education of Henry Adams.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *52M-112. Gift of Jacob Blanck, 15 Jan 1952.
- Smith, Samuel Francis, 1808-1895. 2 letters to [ ] May:
- A.L.s.; Newton, 22 Jul 1889. 1s.(2p.)
- Smith, Sydney, 1771-1845. 5 A.L.s.to Angela Georgina, Baroness Burdett-Coutts:
- (1). [London] 30 May 1840. 1s.(2p.)
- (2). Taunton, 31 Jul 1840. 2s.(3p.)
- (3). Same, 20 Aug 1840. 1s.(2p.)
- (4). [London] 16 Apr 1842. 2s.(2p.)
- Snider, Denton Jaques Autograph
American lecturer and author.
- Southard, Samuel Lewis, 1787-1842. A.L.s. to Asbury Dickens; Washington, 18 Apr 1841. 1s.(1p.)
- Soyka, Otto, d. 1955. 4 A.L.s.to Willy Gutmann:
- (1). [Aurillac] 1 Jul 1943. 2s.(4p.)
- (2). [Same] 30 Jul 1943. 1s.(2p.)
- (3). [Same] 2 Sep 1943. 1s.(2p.)
- Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866. A.L.s. to William Howard Gardiner; Cambridge, 18 Jan 1853. 1s.(1p.)
- Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866. 3 letters to William Jenks:
- A.L.s.; Boston, 5 Oct 1829. 1s.(2p.)
- A.L.s.; [Cambridge] 10 May 1832. 1s.(3p.)
- Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866. 2 letters to Winthrop Sargent:
- MS.L.s.; Cambridge, 13 Jan 1854. 1s.(3p.) env.
- Spear, Mrs. Ellwood B. Pittsburgh, Pa., Jan. 29, 1924
To Mrs. Florence Milner
- Sprague, William Buell, 1795-1876. 2 letters to [ ]:
- A.L.s.; Albany, 11 Apr 1855. 1s.(1p.)
- Stainton, B. W. 2 letters to [Arthur Campbell] Yate:
- [London] 15 Oct 1916. 6s. (6p.)
- Stanbery, Henry, 1803-1881. A. env. to Edwin M. Bidwell; [Washington 22 Feb 1867] 1s.(1p.)
r.f. X 5.3*.
- Stark, John, 1728-1822. 2 A.receipts s. to Messrs. Bartlett and Peabody:
- (1). Bennington, 5 Sep 1777. 1s.(1p.)
- Stearns, Asahel, 1774-1839. 2 letters to John Locke:
- A.L.s.; Charlestown, 18 Feb 1818. 1s.(1p.)
- Stephen, Sir Leslie, 1832-1904. Address upon the unveiling of the Lowell Memorial in the Chapter House, Westminster
Abbey : autograph manuscript; no place, 1893 November 28. 2 folders
With annotation on verso of page 8: ...ms. sent by him to his friend Charles Eliot
Norton (S. Norton).
Also includes clippings concerning the event.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No accession number. Formerly part of the Norton Collection. [Found with: MS Storage
281. Collection materials assembled by Carolyn Jakeman].
- Stevens, Wallace, 1879- 2 letters to John Lincoln Sweeney:
- T.L.s.; Hartford, 2 Mar 1953. 1s.(1p.)
- Stevenson, Robert Louis, 1850-1894. A.L.s. to [Mrs. ] Dennison; Vailima, 4 Sep 1892. 1s. (1p.)
- Stewart, Thomas E, b. 1824. A. signature; Washington, 23 Mar 1867. 1s.(1p.)
r.f. X 5.3*.
- Stuart de Rothesay, Sir Charles Stuart, baron, 1779-1845. 2 MS.receipts s.; to George Canning:
- Swedenborg, Emanuel, 1688-1772. Printed promissory note filled out in ms. and countersigned to Joachim Schako; Stockholm, 12 Mar 1752. 1s.(1p.)
*45M-181. Gift of James Freeman Clarke, February 1946.
- Swinburne, Algernon Charles, 1837-1909. A.L.s. to [ ]; London, 15 Jan 1878. 1s. (3p.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *69M-95. Gift of Rev. Donald F. Winslow, David C. Winslow, Alan F. Winslow, Apr 1970.
- Swinburne, Algernon Charles, 1837-1909. A.L.s. to [ ] MacColl; [n.p., n.d.] 1s. (2p.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *69M-95. Gift of Rev. Donald F. Winslow, Allan F. Winslow, David C. Winslow, Apr 1970.
- Swinburne, Algernon Charles, 1837-19092 letters to [Theodore] Watts-Dunton
- Symons, Arthur, 1865-1945. ...El descichado. A.MS.s.; New York, 1909. 1s. (1p.)
A verse rendering of the first sonnet in Les chimères of Gérard de Nerval.