Autograph File, R
Autograph File, R, 1555-1971: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Autograph File, R
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Autograph File, R,
Quantity: 4.2 linear feet (8.5 boxes)
Abstract: The Autograph File is an alphabetically arranged collection of single letters, manuscripts,
and drawings received from various sources at various times. Additions continue to
Received from various sources at various times. Accession information is given with
the item entry. The most recent addition to this portion of the Autograph File was
made 2017 November 17.
Arranged alphabetically by author.
The Autograph File is a collection of items received singly or in small groups from
various sources at various times, and autograph collections, such as that of Evert
J. Wendell, which were not kept together as a distinct collection. Items in this portion
of the Autograph File include letters from Sir Walter Raleigh, Gregorii Efimovich
Rasputin, Charles Reade, Paul Revere, Rainer Maria Rilke, Auguste Rodin, Romain Rolland,
Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Christina Rossetti, and John Ruskin.
- Raemaekers, Louis, 1869-1956 (copied from). 6 cartoon ink drawings; no place, undated. 6s.(6p.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *50M-559. Gift of Thomas S. Lamont, 23 Wall Street, New York 8, New York; received:
10 Jan 1951.
- Rawle, Edwin John. Autograph manuscript letter to W. Courthope Forman, 1905 September 29. 1 folders
Scope and Contents: With an autograph manuscript letter from John Charles Cox also to Forman; and clippings concerning Rawle's The Doones of Exmoor, all previously laid into a copy of Rawle's book.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 43M-435, 43M-436. Purchased from Elkin Mathews, 1944 January 18.
- Raymond, Henry Jarvis, 1820-1869. 2 A.L.s. to Adam Badeau:
- [New York] 7 Mar 1862. 1s. (2p.)
- Raymond, Henry Jarvis, 1820-1869. 2 A.L.s. to Stuart;
- [New York] 10 May 1869. 1s. (1p.)
- Raymond, Henry Jarvis, 1820-1869. 3 A.L.s. to Edwin Percy Whipple;
- New York, 25 Jun 1860. 1s. (2p.)
- [Same] 11 Oct 1866. 1s. (2p.)
- Reed, John, 1757-1845. 2 A.L.s. to David Lee Child;
- Washington, 14 Jan 1835. 1s. (2p.)
- Reese, Lizette Woodworth, 1856-1935. 2 A.L.s. to Madison Cawein;
- Baltimore, 11 Jan 1895. 1s. (3p.) env.
- Reeve, Lovell Augustus, 1814-1865. A.L.s. to; [n.p.] 30 Jul 1853. 1s. (1p.)
- Reveil, Alexander H. 2 T.L.s. to Timothy Lester Woodruff;
- Revere, Paul Joseph 2 A.L.s. to Charles Folsom:
- [Boston, 1863?] 1s. (2p.)
- Reynolds, Henry Revell, 1745-1811. MS.L.s. to [ ]; Windsor Castle, 1 Feb 1811.
Also signed by Mathew Baillie, William Heberden, R. Willis, Sir David Dundas.
Report of physicians in attendance up upon George III.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *42M-499(57). Gift of Dr. Harris Kennedy, 26 Jan 1943.
- Richards, Laura Elizabeth (Howe) 1850-1943. 3 letters to Harry De Forest Smith:
- Gardiner, 26 Apr 1935. 1s.(3p.) env.
- Same, 19 Jun 1935. 1s.(1p.)
- Richter, Hans cards to: E.T. Brodfield
- Ricketson, Daniel, 1813-1898. Poem with sketch, undated. 1 folders
Autograph manuscript poem with corrections, signed D. R., with Ricketson's notes and
doodles on verso, along with a sketch of his wife, captioned "Angelini going for the
doctor 1 a.m. Nov. 11th 1892, in a rain-storm."
Removed from a copy of Ricketson's Daniel Ricketson and his friends, 1902.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *2007M-80. Removed from *EC85.R4237.Y902r.
- Riding, Laura, 1901- 2 T.L.s.to Donald C. MacDonald Jr.:
- Riggs, Thomas, 1873-1945. Letters to S. C. Thomson and Joseph Tuckerman Tower, 1923-1924. 1 folders
Both letters concern Tower's interest in mining.
Removed from: Davidson, George, 1825-1911. The Alaska boundary (1903).
- Riggs, Thomas, 1873-1945. Letter to S. C. Thomson,
Date: 1923 July 12.
- Riggs, Thomas, 1873-1945. Letter to Joseph Tuckerman Tower,
Date: 1924 May 13.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: Recataloged from Tower 198.1 (removed from Tower 198, from the library of Joseph T. Tower, Jr.).
- Rio, Alexis François, 1797-1874. 2 A.L.s. to Anna Brownell (Murphy) Jameson:
- [N.p., n.d.] 1s. (1p.) env.
- Ripley, George, 1802-1880. 3 A.L.s. to Edward Abbott:
- New York, 28 Feb 1874. 2s. (8p.)
- Same, 20 Oct . 1s. (4p.)
- Rivers, Larry, 1925-2002. "How to proceed in the arts: a detailed study of the creative act" : typescript by Larry Rivers and Frank O'Hara, ca. 1954. 1 folders
With manuscript corrections and additions in Rivers's hand.
Part criticism and part manifesto, this essay was conceived as part one of a how-to
text (Part II: working on the picture is here present in photocopied pages) by Rivers and O'Hara and was first published
in the Evergreen review in 1961.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 2012M-93. Purchased with funds from the Amy Lowell Trust, 2012 November 20.
- Roberts, Emma, 1794?-1840. 2 A.L.s. to Samuel Jackson Pratt:
- Robinson, Rachael. 2 A.L.s.to [Fannie (Hardy)] Eckstorm:
- Ferrisburgh, 31 Mar 1901. 1s.(4p.)
- Robinson, Rowland Evans, 1833-1900. 2 A.L.s.to [Fannie (Hardy)] Eckstorm:
- Ferrisburgh, 18 Mar 1895. 1s.(2p.)
- Rodgers, C. R. P. (Christopher Raymond Perry), 1819-1892. Letter to Raymond P. Rodgers;
Port Royal (S.C.) on board the frigate U.S.S. Wabash 1 folder
Date: 1862 February 24
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 2018M-54. Purchased with TS 558.8, a broadside announcement of a Wabash Minstrels
Scope and Contents: Letter from the commander of the U.S.S. Wabash to his son describing a show of "Ethiopian
Minstrels" called the Wabash Minstrels on board ship for Washington's birthday.
- Rodin, Auguste, 1840-1917. 3 A.L.s. to Maurice Haquette:
- (1). [Paris] 18 Jan 1880. 1s. (2p.)
- (2). [Same, 25 Dec 1881] 1s. (1p.)
- Rodokanakes, Demetrios, 1840-1903. 3 A.L.s. to James Crossley:
- Higher Broughton, 5 Jul 1870. 1s.(1p.)
- Same, 7 Jul 1870. 1s. (1p.)
- Rogers, John, 1666-1745. 2 A.L.s. to Daniel Rogers:
- Ipswich, 12 Oct 1722. 1s. (1p.)
- Rolfe, William James, 1827-1910. 2 A.L.s. to [Helen Archibald Clarke]
- Cambridge, 29 May 1889. 1s. (3p.)
- Rolfe, William James, 1827-1910. 2 A.L.s. to Robert K. Mackey:
- Cambridge, 26 Feb 1906. 2s. (2p.)
- Rolfe, William James, 1827-1910. 2 A.L.s. to John Langdon Sibley:
- Cambridge, 10 Apr 1873. 1s. (3p.)
- Rolland, Romain, 1866-1944. 6 letters to Robert Pierpont Blake:
- A.L.s.;Villeneuve,6 Jun 1934. 2s.(6p.)
- A.L.s.;Same, 23 Jul 1934. 1s.(3p.)
- A.L.s.;Same; 18 Oct 1934. 1s.(1p.)
- A.L.s.;Same, 23 Oct 1934. 1s.(2p.)
- A.L.s.;Same, 15 Nov 1934. 1s.(1p.)
- Rolland, Romain, 1866-1944. 3 letters to George Lenard:
- A.L.s.; Villenave, 8 Mar 1928. 2s.(4p.)
- A.L.s.; same, 11 Jul 1928. 1s.(2p.)
- Romero, Matias, 1837-1898. 2 A.L.s. to Ulysses Simpson Grant:
- New York, 24 Aug 1865. 1s. (2p.)
- Romero, Matias, 1837-1898. 2 MS.L. copies from unidentified authors:
- New York, 28 Jun 1867. 1s. (1p.)
- Roosevelt, Franklin Delano, pres. U.S., 1882-1945. 3 T.L.s.to John Haynes Holmes:
- Albany, 11 Jan 1932. 1s.(1p.)
- Same, 30 Mar 1932. 4s.(4p.)
- Root, Elihu, 1845-1937. 3 T.L.s. to Robert Bacon:
- U.S.S. Charleston, 8 Jul 1906. 2s. (2p.) enc., tel.
- San Juan, 10 Jul 1906. 1s. (1p.)
- Root, Elihu, 1845-1937. 2 T.L.s. to Mrs. Clarence (Constance) Williams:
- [New York] 2 Dec 1924. 1s. (1p.)
- Ropes, John Codman, 1836-1899. 3 A.L.s. to Charles W. Folsom:
- Boston, 20 Oct 1864. 1s. (3p.)
- Same, 21 Jun 1865. 1s. (4p.)
- Roqueplan, Nestor, 1804-1870. [Poems] A.MS.s.; [n.p.,n.d.] 5s.(5p.)
- Rosecrans, William Starke, 1819-1898. A.L.s. to Thomas [ ]; [n.p.] 22 Aug 1863. 1s. (1p.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
: W.H. Lambert collection. No date
Bequest of E. J. Wendell, 1918.
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel, 1828-1882. 2 A.L.s. to Frederick Locker-Lampson:
- [London] 15 Nov 1871. 1s. (1p.)
- Rossetti, William Michael, 1829-1919. 2 A.L.s. to [George and Edward Dalziel]:
- London, 4 May . 1s.(4p.)
- Rudolph, Adelaide 2 A.L.s. to Charles Rockwell Laman:
- Cleveland, 29 Jan 1903. 1s. (3p.)
- Ruggles, Samuel Bulkley, 1800-1881. 2 A.L.s. to John Alsop King:
- New York, 19 Apr 1874. 1s. (4p.)
- Ruhl, Arthur, 1876- A.L.s. & T.L.s. to Evert Jansen Wendell;
- [New York] 11 Dec 1901. 1s. (1p.)
- Russell, John Lewis 3 A.L.s. to Jacob Whitman Bailey;
- South Hingham, 17 May 1844. 1s. (4p.)
- Same, 22 Feb 1848. 1s. (1p.)
- Russia, subject. Unidentified correspondent. Typescript (mimeograph) circular letter;
Philadelphia Pennsylvania, 1926 October. 9s. (10p.)
Letter documents trip of group of people to the Soviet Union in 1926. Trip arranged
by Sherwood Eddy of the International Committee of the Y.M.C.A.
Marked: Not for publication.
Has manuscript inscription: Interesting letter from Russia (given me by Mr. Richard Bradley January 1927).
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No accession number. Found with: MS Storage 281. Collection materials assembled by
- Ryland, William 2 A.L.s. to Nimrod Owings:
- [N.p.] 27 Aug 1810. 1s. (1p.)