Autograph File, J
Autograph File, J, 1756-1947: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Autograph File, J
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Autograph File, J,
Quantity: 1 collection (4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
Abstract: The Autograph File is an alphabetically arranged collection of single letters, manuscripts,
and drawings received from various sources at various times. Additions continue to
Received from various sources at various times. Accession information is given with
the item entry. The most recent addition to this portion of the Autograph File was
made in 2006 February 1.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Autograph File, J, 1756-1947. Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Arranged alphabetically by author.
The Autograph File is a collection of items received singly or in small groups from
various sources at various times, and autograph collections, such as that of Evert
J. Wendell, which were not kept together as a distinct collection. Items in this portion
of the Autograph File include letters from Andrew Jackson, Henry James, John Jay,
Thomas Jefferson, Sarah Orne Jewett, Andrew Johnson, Samuel Johnson, Joseph Bonaparte,
and James Joyce.
- Jackson, Thomas Jonathan, 1824-1863. Autograph letter signed to Joseph McClain; Parkersburg, 16 Nov 1847. (3p.)
- James, William, 1842-1910. Student notes : autograph manuscript notebook, undated. 1 volume in 1 folder.
Portion of a notebook only.
Possibly in hand of the young William James.
Concerns ancient history. In English and Greek.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No accession number. Found with: MS Storage 281. Collection materials assembled by
- Jefferies, John, 1745-1819, subject. Balloons. Series of 48 No. 14 The first balloon to cross over water : colored advertising card; Edinburgh, undated. 1 folders 1s.(2p.)
Card produced by J. Paterson and Son Limited.
Card documents the successful balloon voyage made by Jean Pierre Blanchard and Dr.
John Jeffries across the Channel from Dover, England to a forest twelve miles from
Calais, France. Includes text on one side, and an colored drawing of the balloon on
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No accession number. Source and date unknown.
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973. T.L.s. (photocopy) to Felix Frankfurter; [Johnson City], 6 Dec 1958. 2s. (2p.)
Concerns their heart conditions. Also includes:
- A.L.s. (photocopy) from Felix Frankfurter to Herrman L. Blumgart; Washington, 22 Apr [undated]. 1s.(1p.)
- T.L.s. from Juanita D. Roberts (secretary to Johnson) to Herrman L. Blumgart; Washington, 23 Apr 1966. 1s.(1p.)
- T.L.s. (photocopy) from Johnson to Charles Edward Wyzanski; Washington, 13 Sep 1968. 1s.(1p.)
- A.L.s. from Charles Edward Wyzanski to Merle Fainsod; Boston, 16 Sep
Date: 1968. 1s.(1p.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *64M-187. Gift of Honorable Charles E. Wyzanski, Jr., 39 Fayerweather St., Cambridge, Massachusetts; received: Nov 1968.
- Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784. Johnson's club, according to seniority : manuscript (unidentified hand; photostat); [n.p., n.d.] 1s. (2p.)
- Johnston, Alexander, 1849-1889. 2 autograph letters signed to R. Ashurst Bowie:
- [n.p.] 11 Jan 1862. 1s. (3p.) env.
- [n.p.] 6 Oct 1871. 1s. (2p.) env.
- Johnston, Joseph Eggleston, 1807-1891. Autograph letter signed to [ ] Harris; [n.p.] 13 Feb [1885.] 1s. (1p.)