MS Am 2174
Villard, Henry, 1835-1900. Henry Villard additional papers, 1876-1905: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: f, b
Call No.: MS Am 2174
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Villard, Henry, 1835-1900.
Title: Henry Villard additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (8 volumes and 1 box (2 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Primarily scrapbooks relating to the German-born American journalist Henry Villard.
46M-408F; 46M-409F; 46M-410F; 46M-411F; 46M-412F; 46M-413F; 46M-417F. Gift of Oswald Garrison Villard, Esq., New York, NY; received: 1946 December 30.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Henry Villard Additional Papers, 1876-1905 (MS Am 2174). Houghton Library, Harvard
Villard was a German-born American journalist, railway promoter, financier. Hilgard
was a UC Berkeley professor of agriculture, geology and natural history.
Organized into the following series:
- I. Scrapbooks
- II. Correspondence with Hilgard
- III. Miscellaneous papers
Collection is mainly composed of scrapbooks containing: reviews of the publication
of the memoirs of Henry Villard, death notices of HV, material concerning HV's resignation
from Northern Pacific Railway, sympathy letters on his death, clippings on his life,
and other miscellaneous papers and ephemera.
- Series: I. Scrapbooks
- (1). [Villard, Henry, 1835-1900] Reviews and notices of the memoirs of Henry Villard... Scrapbook of newspaper and
periodical cuttings; [v.p.] 1904-1905. f
- (2). [Villard, Henry, 1835-1900] Press notices on the death of Henry Villard. Scrapbooks of newspaper and periodical
cuttings; [v.p.] 1900. 2 Volumesf
- (3). [Villard, Henry, 1835-1900] Henry Villard's scrapbook relating to his resignation from the Northern Pacific railway...
Scrapbook of newspaper and periodical cuttings; [v.p.] 1884. f
- (4). [Villard, Henry, 1835-1900] Telegrams and cables of sympathy received by his family on the death of Henry Villard.
Scrapbook; [v.p.] 1900. f
- (5). [Villard, Henry, 1835-1900] Editorials dealing with Henry Villard and his career. Also notices from the German
press. Scrapbook of newspaper and periodical cuttings; [v.p.] 1900. f
- (6). [Villard, Henry, 1835-1900] [Contributions to the Chicago Tribune and the New York Nation; press cuttings]; [v.p., v.d.] p., 89 blank l.f
- Series: II. Correspondence with Hilgard
- (7). Villard, Henry, 1835-1900. Correspondence with Professor Eugene Woldemar Hilgard, 1879-1889. 5 foldersb
- Series: III. Miscellaneous papers of Henry Villard
Correspondence, typescripts, printed pamphlets, carbon copies, reports, etc. [v.p.,
v.d.] ca. 75 pieces. With the following titles on the folders:
- (8). Fry, James. B. 1 foldersb
- (9). Letter to the Portland Board of Trade, May 2, 1876. 1 foldersb
- (10). North American Co. 4 foldersb
- (11). Northern Pacific Land Grant. 3 foldersb
- (12). Northern Pacific and Manitoba Release, 1897-O.W. Holmes argument for HV. 4 foldersb
- (13). Northern Pacific official documents. 1 foldersb
- (14). N.P.R.R. Co. receiver, June 5, 1895. 1 foldersb
- (15). Northern Pacific RR resignation from 1893; statement to stockholders 1894. 1 foldersb
- (16). Northern Pacific Trans. Co., Oregon Transcont. Co. 1 foldersb
- (17). Oregon and Transcont. Co. stock certificates. 1 foldersb
- (18). Portland Canning Co. 3 foldersb
- (19). S.S. Oregon. 1 foldersb
- (20). Securities of his companies in March 1882. 1 foldersb