MS Am 1686-1686.6
Thayer, William Roscoe, 1859-1923. William Roscoe Thayer compositions, 1887-1915:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1686-1686.6
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Thayer, William Roscoe, 1859-1923.
Title: William Roscoe Thayer compositions,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (12 volumes).)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Manuscripts of works by American biographer and historian William Roscoe Thayer.
47M-210 - 47M-214. Gift of Mrs. Southworth Lancaster of Cambridge, Massachusetts; received: 1947 July 24.
First draft of Cavour and Bismark was gift of Harry Nelson Gay; received: 1931.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
William Roscoe Thayer Compositions, 1887-1915 (MS Am 1686-1686.6). Houghton Library,
Thayer was an American biographer and historian.
Arranged alphabetically by manuscript title.
Manuscripts of biographical and historical works by Thayer: "Cavour and Bismarck,"
1906 (including some printed versions); The Dawn of Italian Independence, 1892; A
Short History of Venice, 1903; Life and Letters of John Hay (printer's copy), 1915;
and Life and Times of Cavour (printer's copy), 1911. Also includes The Master's Calendar,
1887, an anthology of verse compiled by Thayer.
- MS Am 1686.1. Thayer, William Roscoe, 1859-1923. Cavour e Bismarck: paralleli e contrasti. A.Ms. unsigned; Torino, Oct 1906. 31 num. l.
With this are bound the A.Ms. of Thayer's English version of the article (Annisquam, 1908; 46 num. l.) and the published Italian version (Rome, 1906) and cuttings of the published English version from the Atlantic monthly (March 1909) and the Fortnightly review (March 1909).
- MS Am 1686.2. Thayer, William Roscoe, 1859-1923. The dawn of Italian independence ... A.Ms.s. (William Roscoe Thayer); [Concord, Mass., [finished] 12 Apr 1892] 2v , 233 and 238 num. l.
- MS Am 1686.3. [Thayer, William Roscoe, 1859-1923, comp.]The master's calendar of truth and passion. A.Ms. unsigned; [Concord, Mass.?] July-September 1887. 2p.l., 377p. 1v.
- MS Am 1686.4. [Thayer, William Roscoe, 1859-1923] A short history of Venice. A.Ms.s.(W. R. T.); [v.p., [completed] 1903] 1p.l., iv num. l., 289 num. l.
With prefatory note dated 1905.
- MS Am 1686.5. Thayer, William Roscoe, 1859-1923. The life and letters of John Hay. A.Ms. and typescript s.(William Roscoe Thayer); [v.p.] 1915. 2v., 3p.l., 877 num. l.
- MS Am 1686.6. Thayer, William Roscoe, 1859-1923. The life and times of Cavour. Typescript with Ms. corrections, s. (William Roscoe Theyer); [n.p., 1911] 4v.; 2p.l., 1268 num. l.
Most leaves have footnotes and revisions written on verso.