MS Fr 415
Brune, Guillaume-Marie-Anne, 1763-1815. Guillaume-Marie-Anne Brune papers as French
ambassador to Turkey, 1803-1805: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Fr 415
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Brune, Guillaume-Marie-Anne, 1763-1815.
Title: Guillaume-Marie-Anne Brune papers as French ambassador to Turkey,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in French.
Abstract: Papers concerning Guillaume-Marie-Anne Brune's nomination as French ambassador to
Turkey and diplomatic relations between Turkey and France.
51M-281F. Deposited by Imre de Vegh, Esq, 1 Wall Street New York, New York; received: 1952; gift: 1954 December 30.
De Vegh (1906-1962) was also known as Imrie De Vegh.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Guillaume-Marie-Anne Brune Papers as French Ambassador to Turkey, 1803-1805 (MS Fr
415). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Brune was one of Napoleon Bonaparte's marshals and the ambassador to Turkey. He was
the commander of many armies for Bonaparte, with whom he fell in and out of favor.
Brune was finally murdered in the streets of Avignon by Royalists in 1815.
Papers concern his nomination as ambassador, minutes of meetings, treaty documents,
correspondence with Talleyrand, and documents relating to other matters of diplomatic
relations between Turkey and France.
- (1). Presentation of credentials, reception, and recall, etc. 1 folders
- (2). Letters written by Brune to the Minister of foreign relations. 1 folders
- (2a). Further letters written by Brune to the Minister of foreign relations. 1 folders
Most of the letters in (2) and (2a) are written to Talleyrand.
- (3). Minutes of audiences and conferences of the embassy, 1803-1804. 1 folders
- (4). Letters written by Brune to Talleyrand and others, Jun-Dec 1804. 1 folders
- (5). Letters written by Talleyrand to Brune. 1 folders
- (6). Diplomatic correspondence, Jun-Dec 1804; minutes of conferences with the Reiss-Effendi.
- (7). Treaty of peace between the French Republic and the Sublime Port. 1 folders
- (8). Dossier on Wallachia, 1802-1805. 1 folders
- (9). Records of ministerial expenses, presents made to Ottoman officials, commercial relations
between France and the Levant, etc. 1 folders