MS Am 2195
Howe, Julia Ward, 1819-1910. Julia Ward Howe papers concerning the Battle Hymn of
the Republic, 1897-1906: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: HD, pf
Call No.: MS Am 2195
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Howe, Julia Ward, 1819-1910.
Title: Julia Ward Howe papers concerning the Battle Hymn of the Republic,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 linear foot (1 box and 1 portfolio box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers concerning the Battle Hymn of the Republic by author and suffragist Julia Ward Howe.
59M-115 - 59M-119. Gift of the children of Laura Elizabeth Howe Richards and Henry Richards: Henry Howe Richards, John Richards, Rosalind Richards, Julia Ward Shaw, and Laura Elizabeth Wiggins; received: 1959 December.
Collection is open for research.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Julia Ward Howe Papers Concerning the Battle Hymn of the Republic, 1897-1906 (MS Am 2195). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Julia Ward Howe was the author of the Battle hymn of the Republic and other works
and a women's suffrage and club leader and lecturer. In Feb. 1862, the Atlantic Monthly
published her poem "Battle hymn of the Republic," which she wrote during a visit to
an army camp near Washington, D.C. in 1861.
Includes manuscripts in the hand of Julia Ward Howe, a facsimile of her first draft,
notes, letters, radio scripts, and printed matter concerning the hymn.
- (1). Howe, Julia (Ward), 1819-1910. [Battle-hymn of the republic; one line only] A.MS.s.; [n.p.] 23 May 1906. 1 folders 1s.(1p.)
- (2). Howe, Julia (Ward), 1819-1910. [Battle-hymn of the republic] A.MS.(facsimile); [n.p.,n.d.] 1 folders 1s.(2p.)
Lithographic facsimile of first draft.
- (3). Howe, Julia (Ward), 1819-1910. [Manuscript and printed matter concerning Battle-hymn of the republic] 3 folders
Includes pamphlet printings, radio scripts, and correspondence.
- (4). Howe, Julia (Ward), 1819-1910. [Notes for speech before Free Religious Society of America] A.MS.(unsigned); [n.p., 1900] 1 folders 14s.(34p.)
- (5). Howe, Julia (Ward), 1819-1910. Battle-hymn of the republic. A.MS.s.; [n.p.] 22 Jun 1897. 2 folders 2s.(2p.)
Written out for her son, Henry Marion Howe.