MS Typ 514
Miscellaneous drawings for book illustration, before 1744-1930s: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Typ 514
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Miscellaneous drawings for book illustration,
Date(s): before 1744-1930s.
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Abstract: Includes illustrations by Richard Corbould, Gustave Doré, William Makepeace Thackeray,
Received from various sources at various times. Accession information is given with
the item entry.
The most recent addition to this collection was made in 1992.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Miscellaneous Drawings for Book Illustration, before 1744-1930s (MS Typ 514). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Arranged alphabetically by illustrator.
Contains illustrations in pen and ink, pen and wash, pencil, pencil and ink, ink and
wash, and ink and watercolor by Richard Corbould, Gustave Doré, William Makepeace
Thackeray, and others.
- Corbould, Richard, 1757-1831. Illustrations for Alain René Le Sage's Gil Blas : drawings (unsigned); [n.p., n.d.] 4 drawings : ink and watercolor on paper
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *62M-292. Purchased from Elkins Mathew Ltd., cat. 152, on the C. M. Parker fund, 1962 Oct.
- Doré, Gustave, 1832-1883. Preliminary sketch for Honoré de Balzac's Contes drôlatiques, p. 42 : drawing, [n.p., ca. 1855] 1 drawing: pencil
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *62M-295. Purchased from Elkin Mathews Ltd., cat. 152, on the C. M. Parker fund, 1962 Oct.
- Foster, Birket, 1825-1899. Illustrations for Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's works : drawings s., [n.p., ca. 1854] 5 drawings : ink and wash
Includes: "The cloister,""The farm," and "Strasbourg cathedral" from The golden legend; "The village blacksmith"; and design for Hyperion, II, 1.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *62M-296. Purchased from Elkin Mathews Ltd., cat. 152, on the C. M. Parker fund, 1962 Oct.
- Kredel, Fritz, 1900-1973. Layout for Fabeln des Aesop, 1930s?. 6 leaves in one quire.
Manuscript layout in pen and ink, including title page and 6 text pages. There are
4 illustrations in pen and ink and brown wash. These were planned to be wood engravings
("Holzschnitten von Fritz Kredel" - title page). The German text is represented by
The book was apparently never realized.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *86M-97. "Frances Hofer Collection" (FLH-264); bequest of Philip Hofer, Nov. 1984.
- Pope, Alexander, 1688-1744. Sketch for the frontispiece of An essay on man, with other papers, undated. 2 folders 31 x 20 cm. or smaller.
The sketch is in red pencil, with a handwritten description below in ink. Opposite
is written a Latin motto and a note:"The drawing on the opposite page is the original
from whence Mr Knapton took his graving prefixed to the Duodecimo Edition [1754?] of the Essay on Man. The
Explanation is also Mr. Popes own hand & the motto above Dr. Warburtons, who gave me this as a singular memorial of that great Poet." The note is signed
With ths sketch is a transcription of the text in another hand, and an engraved portrait
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-60. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Smith, Sidney Lawton, 1845-1929. Device for Houghton, Mifflin and Company :drawing and printer's proof, 1903. 2 Leaves 6 x 15 cm. and 20 x 14 cm.
Sidney L. Smith's drawing in ink and Chinese white, 1903 [Aug.- Sept.], and trial
proof of the engraved block, 1903 Oct. 12, including Bruce Rogers's autograph annotations addressed to Smith, 1903 Oct. 14.
Proof reproduced in: Ellen B. Ballou, The building of the house: Houghton Mifflin's formative years (1970), 530.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *92M-70. Gift of Mr. John Woolsey and Mrs.Ledlie Locklin Woolsey, 1992.