MS Slavic 5
Masaryk, T. G. (Tomás Garrigue), 1850-1937. T. G. Masaryk papers for The spirit of
Russia: vol. III, 1961: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Slavic 5
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Masaryk, T. G. (Tomás Garrigue), 1850-1937.
Title: T. G. Masaryk papers for The spirit of Russia: vol. III,
Date(s): 1961 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in Czech, German, and English.
Abstract: Various versions and translations of The Spirit of Russia Volume III by Czechoslovakian political leader T. G. (Tomás Garrigue) Masaryk.
67M-47. Gift of Mr. Richard M. Hunt, 10 Coolidge Hill Road Cambridge, Massachusetts and Masaryk Publications Trust, Goldwin Smith Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14850; received: 1967 October.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
T. G. Masaryk Papers for The Spirit of Russia: Vol. III, 1961 (MS Slavic 5). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Masaryk was a Czechoslovakian political leader and philosopher; he was the first president
Includes autograph manuscript (photocopies) chapters from Masaryk's The Spirit of
Russia Vol. 3, as well as the original German typescript, a Czechoslovakian and English
translation, and an outline based on the Czech and German versions.
- (1). Masaryk, Tomás Garrigue, 1850-1937. [The spirit of Russia, v.III] A.MS.(photocopies);[n.p.,n.d.] 344s.(344p.)
Contains the chapters, "Religion and morals", "Murder and suicide", "The mistaken formula of Dostoievsky", "Pushkin", "Goncharov", "Gorky", "Chekov", "Andreyev", "Arcybashev", and the "Resumé".
- (2). Masaryk, Tomás Garrigue, 1850-1937. [The spirit of Russia, v.III] TS.;[n.p.,n.d.] 787s.(787p.)
Carbon copy of the original German typescript.
Lacks chapters 6,7,10,11,12,26.
Chapters 33, 34, and 35 were later copied from photocopies of Masaryk's A.MS.
- (3). Masaryk, Tomás Garrigue, 1850-1937. [The spirit of Russia,v.III] TS.;[n.p.,n.d.] 676s.(676p.)
A Czech translation by Professor Horak.
Chapter 7 missing.
- (4). Masaryk, Tomás Garrigue, 1850-1937. The spirit of Russia, volume III. TS.(carbon copy, unsigned);[n.p.,n.d.] 515s.(515p.)
An English translation by Robert Bass, edited by George Gibian.
- (5). Den, Petr, pseud. Volume III of The spirit of Russia by T.G. Masaryk. TS.(unsigned); New York, 1961. 90s.(90p.)
An outline of the contents of the unpublished MS. based on the Czech and German versions,
prepared for the Masaryk Publications Trust. With the comments of scholars on the translation of v.III into English.