MS Am 1234.1-.2, 1234.4-.11
Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894. Oliver Wendell Holmes additional papers, 1825-1893:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b, f
Call No.: MS Am 1234.1-.2, 1234.4-.11
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894.
Title: Oliver Wendell Holmes additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (2.5 linear feet (3 boxes, 6 volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Additional papers of American physician, poet, and essayist Oliver Wendell Holmes.
42M-147. Purchased with the Sheldon Fund from Arthur Pforzheimer, 26 East 56th Street, New York City; received: 1942 October 19.
42M-871 - 42M-876. Gift of T.B. Aldrich Memorial Trustees; received: 1943 June.
42M-1683F. Deposited by Talbot Aldrich; received: 1943 June.
47M-368A-F, H-V. Gift of Edward Jackson Holmes, 296 Beacon St., Boston, MA; received: 1941 June 19.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Images linked to this finding aid are intended for public access and educational use.
This material is owned and/or held by the Houghton Library, and is provided solely
for the purpose of teaching or individual research. Any other use, including commercial
reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution requires the permission
of the curator.
Oliver Wendell Holmes Additional Papers, 1825-1893 (MS Am 1234.1-.2, 1234.4-.11).
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Holmes (1809-1894) was an American essayist, poet, and teacher of anatomy. He received
an M.D. degree from Harvard in 1836 and practiced medicine for 10 years, then taught
anatomy for two years at Dartmouth College. In 1847 he became professor of anatomy
and physiology (and later Dean) at the Harvard Medical School.
Arranged in call number order.
Includes literary manuscripts including poems and essays--many published in The Atlantic Monthly-- and addresses, lectures, and essays on medical, civic, and academic subjects. Also
includes: family letters, many written by Oliver Wendell Holmes from Europe to his
parents, and a few Holmes' letters to Ralph Waldo Emerson (1234.1). Other materials
are medical papers, including several notebooks (in French and English) with Holmes'
notes on medical lectures from Paris in 1833, medical reports, and notes on patients,
ca. 1830s; research notes on Emerson; a commonplace book; calendars; two photographs,
1891, of Holmes; and three scrapbooks with clippings, letters, and Civil War memorabilia
of Oliver Wendell Holmes.
- MS Am 1234.1. Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894. Family letters : ALLs, ca. 1824-1884. 392p. in 1v.
Includes: letters from A. Holmes and L. Holmes; 56 ALs from O.W. Holmes to his parents;
O.W. Holmes ALLs to Ralph Waldo Emerson (9 leaves); O.W. Holmes to Mr. Parker (4 leaves); O.W. Holmes to Mrs. Abbot; and O.W. Holmes to Mr. O'Reily.
- MS Am 1234.4. Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894. The new portfolio . . . : AMs, [Boston, 1885-1886]. 1v.
Manuscript of essays published in the Atlantic Monthly, 1885-1886. Bound in three-quarters blue morocco.
- MS Am 1234.5. Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894. Poems : AMs, [Boston, 1881-1890]. 1v.
Author's autograph manuscript of the following poems:
- The chambered nautilus, autograph transcript, 1886 Mar. 16.
- Post prandial. Phi Beta Kappa. 1881, published in the Atlantic Monthly, v. 48, no.287, Sept. 1881, p.365-366.
- At the summit, published in the Atlantic Monthly, v. 50, no.298, Aug. 1882, p.164-165.
- Before the curfew, published in the Atlantic Monthly, v. 49, no.293, March 1882, p.386-388.
- The flaneur, published in the Atlantic Monthly, v.51, no. 307, May 1883, p.674-677.
- At the Saturday club, published in the Atlantic Monthly, v. 53, no.315, Jan. 1884, p.68-71.
- King's chapel, published in the Atlantic Monthly, v.52, no.311, Sept. 1883, p.322-323.
- La maison d'or.
- If all the trees . . .
- To James Russell Lowell . . . February 22d 1889, author's corrected galley proof, published in the Atlantic Monthly, v. 63, no.378 (April 1889), p.556-558.
- MS Am 1234.7. Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894. Miscellaneous manuscripts : AMss, no place, undated. 596p. in 1v.
- MS Am 1234.8. Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1841-1935. Scrapbooks of newspaper clippings and other materials, [v.p., v.d.]. 3v. in 2 boxes.b
Scrapbook 1, [Boston, n.d.], 141p., includes the following materials:
- Ms poem (signed by George H. Boker); [n.p., n.d.] 2p.
- Ms note (signed by G. W. Curtis); New York, 1865 Apr. 24.
- Ms note (signed by G.W. Curtis); 1865 Apr. 25.
- Ms poem The Brier Wood Pipe, (signed Charles Dawson Shanly), Vanity Fair, 1861 July 6 (2p.).
- AMs note (signed by E.G. Champlin), Westerly, 1856 July 21, 2p.
- AMs note (signed by J.R. Prescott), [n.p., n.d.] 1p. Enclosed with a Ms poem 3p.
- AMs note (signed H.H.B.) with Ms translation, 4p.
Scrapbook 2, [n.p., n.d.], 161p., includes autograph letters from:
- Charles [?]
- George P. Marsh
- George Ticknor
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Louis Agassiz
- James Russell Lowell
- J.T. Field
- Foresythe Willson
- Henry Howard Brownell
- Henry James
- John Hay
- F.J. Child
- H. Gray
- T.W. Higginson
- Carroline J. Dehon
- J.R. Lowell
- R.H. Hobart
- Hugh Rose
- Thomas Hughs
- J.I. Mill
- Herbert Spencer
- Mary E. Sigell
Scrapbook 3, [n.p., n.d.], 108p., includes autograph letters from
- M. Clellan
- S. Williams
- H. Hall
- F.M. Muhon
- H.G. Wright
- John C. Ropes
Also includes printed enclosure: The Volunteer with autograph note signed by Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., 1s. (1p.) *47M-368V
- Oliver Wendell Holmes additional papers,
MS Am 1234.9 This call number contained 9 medical notebooks of OWH that were transferred
to the Harvard Medical School in February 1956.
*47M-368H, I, J, K, L, M
- MS Am 1234.10. Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894. Miscellaneous notebooks, [v.d.]. 11 v. in 1 box.b
- Autograph memoranda in re various diseases; [n.p.] 1838 June 11 - 1845 Oct. 133p. in 1v.
Date: 1838 June 11 - 1845 Oct.
- Autograph note signed for Memoir of Motley; [n.p., 187-?] 50p. in 1v.
- Causes of the Civil War : AMs; 1s.(2p.)
- List of dates : AMs; 1s. (2p.)
- Draft of letter by Holmes when writing his memoir of Motley.
- Data in re Motley's travels : AMs; 1858-1877. (1p.)
- Commonplace book : AMs; 1862-1894. 104p.
- Memoranda in re various diseases : AMs; [n.p., n.d.] 191p. in 1v.
- Reflections in re sin, etc., etc. : AMs; [n.p., n.d.] 1v.
- Alphabetical list of names : AMs; [n.p.], 1880-1893. 29p. in 1 v.
- Diary for the year 1855 : AMs; Boston. 35 p. in 1 v.
Date: 1855 : AMs; Boston.
- Memoranda in re Emerson filled in with newspaper clippings : AMs; [n.p.] 1883 Mar.
1. 40p. in 1 v.
Enclosure Autograph Memoranda Data in re Emerson, 2s.(2p.); Typed data filled in with
AMs in re Emerson; 62s.(62p.)
- Memoranda filled in with newspaper clippings in re Emerson : AMs; [n.p., 188-?] 35p. in 1 v.
Includes: Ms.L.s. from R.A. Oakes; Norton, 5 Feb. 1884. 1p.; and Autograph Notebook
of Miscellaneous Memoranda; [n.p.] 1 Nov. 1804 - 28 Aug 1884. 11p.
- Memoranda in re Jonathan Edwards, Emerson, etc., etc... : AMs; [n.p., n.d.]. 48 p. in 1 v.
Enclosures: Ms. Geneological notes in re Emerson family, etc.; [n.p., n.d.] 19s.(22p.); and Autograph Miscellaneous Memoranda; [n.p., n.d.]
31p. in 1 v.