MS Typ 762
Miscellaneous autograph documents, 1287-1938: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b, pf, oversize pf
Call No.: MS Typ 762
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Miscellaneous autograph documents,
Quantity: 1 collection (3 boxes and 2 oversize folders (.6 linear ft.)
Abstract: Single manuscript documents, most of which are signed.
Received from various sources at various times. Accession information is given with
the item entry.
The most recent addition to this collection was made in 2010.
Processed by: J. F. Coakley.
Most items are fragile. Permission of the curator is required for access.
Images linked to the finding aid describing this collection are intended for public
access and educational use. This material is owned and/or held by the Houghton Library,
and is provided solely for the purpose of teaching or individual research. Any other
use, including commercial reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution
requires the permission of the curator.
Miscellaneous Autograph Documents, 1287-1938 (MS Typ 762). Houghton Library, Harvard
Arranged alphabetically by signer or other author, with anonymous items in chronological
order at the end.
Miscellaneous documents collected by the Department of Printing and Graphic Arts.
Most but not all of these documents are signed by identifiable people.
- Callistus III, Pope, 1378-1458. Bull confirming privileges granted by his predecessor Nicholas V to the Benedictine monastery
of the Blessed Mary in Gangi in the diocese of Messina (Sicily), 1455 Sept. . 1 leaf of vellum, 35 x 48 cm. 20 x 24 cm.(pf)
Date: 1455 Sept. .
Written in a papal documentary script, the first line tall and ornamental.
With a lead seal "Calistus PP III", now detached.
Transcript in curatorial file.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-300. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Castellani, Stephen. Affadavit, 1317. 1 leaf of vellum, 57 x 35 cm. 26 x 29 cm.(b)
From Nevers. The Latin text is written in a secretary hand. The signature of the notary,
Parcon (?) is at the bottom.
Holes for oversewing along the left margin indicate that the document has been removed
from a bound volume.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-313. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Enrique III, King of Castile and Leon, 1379-1406. Letter patent, 1403. 1 leaf of vellum, 68 x 70 cm., 35 x 19 cm.(b)
"Privilege given by Henry III to Pedro Ruiz de Torres, Police Chief of Jaen in Andalusia,
to recolonize the devastated town on Villar don Pardo in the vicinity of Jaen" - note
by Hofer on verso.
There are various annotations of the ca. 17th century on the verso.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-322. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Modena (Italy). Certificate of the Conservatores Civitatis Mutinae conferring privileges on the Rangonus family, 1598. 1 leaf of vellum, 82 x 61 cm.(oversize pf box, shelved separately at Basement C-7)
The Latin text is written in a cursive script in brown ink, and signed Julius Mirandola. There is a decorative border in gold and black, including a coat of arms at the top
Laced to the bottom is a metal skippet containing a wax seal of the city of Modena.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-331. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Paul II, Pope, 1417-1471. Bull addressed to Jeronimo, Count of Portia, 1465. 1 leaf of vellum, 37 x 50 cm.,(pf)
Signature of Leonardo Dati at the bottom.
The Latin text is written in in a papal notary gothic script in dark brown ink, the
first line partly in Lombardic capitals and decorated with tall ascenders.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-337. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Rezzonico, Carlo. Grant of privileges to the Jews Gabriele, Leo, Ezechia, and Alexander Ambron; and Alexander, Benjamin, and Moses Rossi, 1772. 1 leaf of vellum, 54 x 73 cm.(oversize pf)
Signature "C. Card. Rezzonico", on behalf of Pope Clement XIV.
The vellum is mounted on stiff card.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-255. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Sixtus V, Pope, 1520-1590. Bull addressed to Br. Bartholomeo Ricardo, O.F.M., regarding the regulation of the Order of St. Clare, 1585. 1 sheet of vellum, 42 x 55 cm.(pf)
The document mentions Isabella of Cardona, Abbess of the Order of St. Clare in the diocese of Barcelona.
Written in an italic script in brownish ink.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-346. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Warde, Frederic, 1894-1939. Letter to Anne Lyon Haight, 1938. 1 folded sheet, 17 cm.(b)
Autograph letter, signed, with envelope.
With 5 other pieces of calligraphy and typographic design by Warde (29 x 20 cm. or
smaller), and a letter from Sherman P. Haight conveying them to Philip Hofer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *67M-184. Gift of Anne Lyon Haight, 1967 June 15.
- Notice regarding the privileges of a church, 1225 Nov. 1 leaf of vellum, 20 x 21 cm.(b)
Date: 1225 Nov.
French, possibly from Chartres. The notice is in the name of Johann, canon of the church. The Latin text of 24 lines
is written in a protogothic script in brown ink.
The bottom of the document has a vellum tab on which probably a seal was once attached.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-311. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Contract for the purchase of houses in the city of Graulhet by Barthélemy Boat from Raymond Trencauel, 1296. 1 leaf of vellum, 49 x 26 cm., 26 x 26 cm.(b)
A list of witnesses appears toward the end of the document.
The Latin text is written in a secretary hand in dark brown ink.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-315. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.
- Contract for the sale of land between Bertrand of St. Gery from the parochia of Sabadeil and Pierre Rubei of Cahors, 1321 Nov. 5. 1 leaf of vellum, 48 x 43 cm.,(b)
Date: 1321 Nov. 5.
A list of witnesses appears toward the end of the document.
The Latin text is written in a secretary hand in brown ink.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: *84M-310. Bequest of Philip Hofer, 1984.