MS Am 1436
Gay, Edwin F. (Edwin Francis), 1867-1946. Edwin F. Gay papers on the New York Post,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1436
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Gay, Edwin F. (Edwin Francis), 1867-1946.
Title: Edwin F. Gay papers on the New York Post,
Quantity: 1 collection (5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers of American economic historian, editor and president of the New York Post Edwin
55M-259. Gift of Mrs. Godfrey Davies; received: 1954.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Edwin F. Gay Papers on the New York Post, 1917-1924 (MS Am 1436). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Gay was an economic historian and the first dean of the Harvard Business School (1908-1919).
In 1919 he became editor and president of the New York Post, which had just been purchased
by Thomas W. Lamont. A syndicate organized by Gay purchased the Post in 1922, but
the newspaper's financial troubles forced the group to sell the paper in 1924. Gay
returned to Harvard the same year.
The papers are retained almost entirely in the order given them by Mr Gay.
Correspondence, minutes, president's reports, financial records, and clippings relating
to the reorganization of the New York Post under the ownership of Thomas W. Lamont
and later under the syndicate headed by Edwin F. Gay. Includes personal correspondence
pertaining to changes in ownership, correspondence with Lamont regarding editorial
policy, and correspondence with Mark Sullivan, journalist and historian, whom Gay
recruited to write for the Post.
- Gay, Edwin Francis, 1867-1946.
- (1). Personal correspondence, clippings, etc. pertaining to changes of ownership; 1922-1924.
- (2). Miscellaneous: memorandums, etc.
- New York Evening Post.
- (5). Letters to stockholders; 1922-1923.
- (6). Stockholders Committee; 1922.
- (7). Stock subscriptions; 1922.
- (8). Financial matters - estimates, etc.
- New York Evening Post. Executive committee.
- (11). Current correspondence, etc.; Jun 1922-Dec 1923.
- (12). Control sheets; Dec 1922-Dec 1923.
- Lamont, Thomas William, 1870-1948.
- (13). Correspondence; 1919-1924. 5 folders
- (15). Sullivan, Mark, 1874-1952. Correspondence; 1919-1925.
- (16). Fahey, John Henry, 1873- Correspondence; Feb-May 1923.
- New York Evening Post.
- (17). Foreign correspondence: letters of introduction, etc., pertaining to European trip,
- (18). Foreign correspondents, selecting of.
- (19). Newspaper clippings; 1821-1888-1904.
- (20). Legal documents - minutes.
- (22). New York Evening Post. Readers' letters.
- (23). Reorganization - letters; 1922.
- (24). Miscellaneous correspondence; 1920-1923.
- (25). Report on progress, etc.; 1920.
- Reports of the president to the Board of Directors:
- (26). Apr-Dec 1920.
- (27). Jan-Dec 1921.
- (28). Jan-Dec 1922.
- (29). Jan-Oct 1923.
- (30). Notes kept by Edwin Francis Gay and Donald Scott on financial conditions, etc.; 1921-1922.
- (32). Board of directors - 1922.
- (33). Editorial conferences - dinners; 1920-1922.
- (34). Clay, Henry, 1883- Correspondence and articles in reference to Manchester honorary degree for Edwin Francis Gay; 1923-1924.
- Curtis, Cyrus Hermann Kotzschmar, 1850-
- (35). Correspondence; 1923.
- (37). Hearst, William Randolph, 1863-1951. Criticisms.
- (38). New York Evening Post.
- Blue book of facts. 1v.
- Blue morocco.
- (39). Scott, Donald.
- Income & expenditure
- Loose-leaf memorandum book. 2v. (1 unbound).