MS Am 1969
Hooper, Edward William, 1839-1901. Edward William Hooper letters, 1862-1892: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1969
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Hooper, Edward William, 1839-1901.
Title: Edward William Hooper letters,
Date(s): 1862-1892 (inclusive), 1862-1865 (bulk).
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters of Edward William Hooper, chiefly to his father and sisters, detailing his
Civil War experiences in South Carolina.
51M-109-111. Presented in the memory of Edward William Hooper by his daughters: Mrs. John Briggs Potter, Mrs. Ward Thoron, Mrs. Greely Stevenson Curtis, and Mrs. Roger Sherman Warner; received: 1951and later years.
61M-76 and 61M-77. Gift of Mrs. Ward Thoron, 191 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston 16, Massachusetts; received: 1961 Summer.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Edward William Hooper Letters. 1862-1892 (MS Am 1969). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Hooper was treasurer of Harvard College (1876-1898). During the Civil War, he served
as additional aide-de-camp on the staff of General Rufus Saxton, Department of the
South, and on the staff of General John Adams Dix, Department of the East.
Letters of Edward William Hooper, chiefly to his father and sisters, detailing his
experiences in the Civil War in South Carolina where he worked with the freedmen on
the Sea Islands. Includes a manuscript, ca. 1892, on the governance of the Sea Islands
during the Civil War.
- (1). Clarke, James Freeman, 1810-1888. A.L.s. to Edward Lillie Pierce; [n.p.] 14 Feb 1862. 1s.(3p.)
Concerning Edward William Hooper.
- (2). Hooper, Edward William, d.1901. 12 letters to Harry D. Chapin, 1862-1865. 2 folders
- (4). Hooper, Edward William, d.1901. MS. L. to George Barrell Emerson; Ladies Island, 7 Apr 1862. 3s.(12p.)
- (6). Hooper, Edward William, d.1901. 85 letters to Robert William Hooper; 1862-1864. 11 folders
51M-109 and 61M-76.
- (7). Hooper, Edward William, d.1901. 2 letters to Samuel Hooper; 1863. 1 folders
- (9). Hooper, Edward William, d.1901. [On the governance of the Sea Islands during the Civil War]. A.MS.; [no place, ca. 1892]. 9s.(9p.)
- (10). Saxton, Rufus, 1824-1908. A.L.s. to Robert William Hooper; Beaufort, 6 Sep 1863. 1s.(4p.)
- (11). [Miscellaneous letters and printed matter in the Edward William Hooper papers]. 1 folders
In June of 2014 a reader states: "Within the fold of "Circular No. 7", dated 1863
September 10, is a sample of Sea Island cotton, unginned with seeds attached. This
is likely the sample included in Edward Hooper's September 15, 1863 letter to his
father. This is possibly the first such cotton ever grown by a former slave on his
own land. Sea Island cotton (a cultivar G. Barbadena) became extinct in the 1930s
with the loss of the last plant stock by the USDA's Pee Dee Research Station. These
could be the last seeds in existence." See curatorial file.