MS Am 2127
Howe family. Howe, Richards, and Robinson family papers, 1869-1961: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2127
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Howe family.
Title: Howe, Richards, and Robinson family papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box and 2 volumes (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence and compositions by American author and suffragist Julia Ward Howe,
by American author Laura Elizabeth Howe Richards, and by American poet Edwin Arlington
62M-313 - 62M-328. Gift of Miss Rosalind Richards of Gardner, Maine; received: 1963.
Collection was restricted until the restriction was removed by Mrs. Eliot T. Putnam
in June 2001.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Howe, Richards, and Robinson Family Papers, 1869-1961 (MS Am 2127). Houghton Library,
Julia Ward Howe was the author of the Battle Hymn of the Republic and other works
and a women's suffrage and club leader and lecturer; her daughter was author Laura
Elizabeth Howe Richards, and her granddaughter was Rosalind Richards. Edwin Arlington
Robinson was an American poet and acquaintance of the Howe/Richards family.
Arranged alphabetically by author.
Collection documents all three families and Gardiner, Maine. Includes correspondence,
compositions, photograph, and notebooks of verse.
- (1). Brooks, Van Wyck, 1886- 2 A.L.s. to Rosalind Richards:
- Cornwall, 5 Jan 1949. 1s. (2p.)
- Bridgewater, 15 Sep 1961. 1s. (2p.)
- (2). Howe, Julia (Ward) 1819-1910. 58 letters to Laura Elizabeth (Howe) Richards; 1864-1909 & [n.d.] 4 folders
- (3). Howe, Julia (Ward) 1819-1910. A.L.s. to Rosalind Richards; [Boston] 17 Apr 1910. 1s. (4p.) env.
With typed transcript of letter, same to same, 17 Oct 1909.
- (4). Kidder, Elizabeth (Huidekoper) 4 letters to Laura Elizabeth (Howe) Richards:
- Boston, 11 Jan 1939. 2s. (2p.)
- Meadville, 16 May 1942. 2s. (7p.)
- Same, 19 Dec 1942.
- Hill Home, 26 [n.d.] 1s. (4p.)
- (5). Richards, Henry, 1848- Mr. Edward Robinson and his family, and Maine background...taken down by R[osalind] R[ichards, with her comments and additions] TS.; [n.p., n.d.] 18f. (18p.)
- (6). Richards, Laura Elizabeth (Howe), 1850-1943. A few more notes on E[dward] A[rlington] R[obinson]...dictated to R[osalind] R[ichards] TS.; [n.p., n.d.] 13f. (13p.)
Set down for Herman Hagedorn; with notes on letters, and a letter from L.E.R. to the Portland Press Herald.
- (7). Richards, Laura Elizabeth (Howe), 1850-1943. 23 letters to Sarah and Mary Jewett; 1892-1930 & [n.d.]
- (8). Richards, Laura Elizabeth (Howe), 1850-1943. 3 letters to Katharine Loring:
- [Boston] 9 Feb 1897. 1s. (4p.)
- Georgetown, 14 Aug 1934.1s. (2p.)
- Camp Merryweather, 23 Aug 1934. 1s. (2p.)
- (9). Richards, Laura Elizabeth (Howe), 1850-1943. [Notebook of verse] A.MS.s.; [n.p.] 1880-1886. 76f. (151p.) in 1 v.MS
Shelved with (10). *62M-321
- (10). Richards, Laura Elizabeth (Howe), 1850-1943. [Notebook of verse] A.MS.s.; [n.p.] 1886-1889. 60f. (120p.) in 1 v.MS
Shelved with (9).
- (11). Richards, Laura Elizabeth (Howe), 1850-1943. [Notebook of verse] A.MS.s.; [n.p.] 1889-1891. 26f. (52p.) in 1 v.MS
- (12). Richards, Laura Elizabeth (Howe) 1850-1943. Portrait: photograph at age 19, ca.1869. bMS
A reproduction from an original.
- (13). Richards, Rosalind, 1874- John Hays Gardiner. TS.s.; [Gardiner] Jan 1963. 2s. (2p.)
With transcript of memorial notice on Garding from Harvard Alumni Bulletin, 21 May 1913. 2s. (2p.)
- (14). Robinson, Edwin Arlington, 1869-1935. 3 A.L.s. to Laura Elizabeth (Howe) Richards:
- New York, 5 Jun 1905. 1s. (1p.)
- [Same] 21 Nov 1922.
1s. (1p.) env.
- Peterboro, 27 Aug 1930. 2s. (2p.) env.
- (15). [Copies of letters from various persons, concerning Edwin Arlington Robinson] 1 folders
"The originals of these letters may be in the Houghton Library."
- (16). Sanborn, Franklin Benjamin, 1831-1917. Portrait: photograph, with unidentified grandchild.