MS Am 2128
Howe family. Howe family additional papers, 1863-1942: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2128
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Howe family.
Title: Howe family additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.3 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers of American author and suffragist Julia Ward Howe, of her daughters Elizabeth
Howe Richards and Maud Howe Elliott, and of granddaughter Rosalind Richards.
49M-158-49M-164F. Gift of Miss Rosalind Richards of Gardiner, Maine; received: 1950.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Howe Family Additional Papers, 1863-1942 (MS Am 2128). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Julia Ward Howe was the author of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and other works,
and a women's suffrage and club leader and lecturer; her daughters were authors Laura
Elizabeth Howe Richards and Maud Howe Elliott (and others), and her granddaughter
was Rosalind Richards (the donor).
Organized into the following series:
- I. Letters to Maud Howe Elliott
- II. Other papers
First part of the collection consists of letters written to Maud Howe Elliott by various
correspondents, discussing daily life, literature discussions, and the literary works
of the Howe family. Several letters from William Henry Hurlbut written while he was
in Europe discuss the details of his life there and the welfare of mutual acquaintances.
The second part of the collection consists of an 1863 diary of Julia Ward Howe, recording
her expenditures and daily activities, a folder of contemporary translations of the
Battle Hymn of the Republic, and a composition by Julia Ward Howe about the Massachusetts
- Series: I. Letters to Maud (Howe) Elliott
Letters to Maude (Howe) Elliot from various correspondents, *49M-158.
- (1-5). Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933.
- (6). Dwight, John Sullivan, 1813-1893. A.L.s.; Boston, 12 Aug 1891. 1s.(2p.)
- (7-8). Hale, Edward Everett, 1822-1909.
- (7) T.L.s.; Roxbury, 22 Oct 1903. 1s.(1p.)
- (8) T.L.s.; same, 28 Oct 1903. 1s.(1p.)
- (9-22). Hurlbert, William Henry, 1827-1895.
- (9) A.L.s.(initials); Cadenabbia, 8 Jul 1894. 1s.(4p.)
- (10) A.L.s.; [Cadenabbia] 11 Jul [1894?] 1s.(3p.)
- (11) A.L.s.; [same] 12 Jul [1894?] 1s.(4p.)
- (12) A.L.s.; [same] 15 Jul 1894. 1s.(4p.)
- (13) A.L.s.; [same] 19 Jul 1894. 1s.(3p.)
- (14) A.L.s.; same, 24 Jul 1894. 1s.(4p.)
- (15) A.L.s.; same, 26 Jul 1894. 1s.(4p.)
- (16) A.L.s.(initials); [same] 2 Aug 1894. 1s.(4p.)
- (17) A.L.s.; [n.p.] 12 Oct 1894. 1s.(4p.)
- (18) A.L.s.; 19 Oct 1894, Florence. 1s.(4p.)
- (19) A.L.s.; Vallombrosa, 24 Oct 1894. 1s.(3p.)
- (20) A.L.s.; Nervi, 6 Nov 1894. 1s. (4p.)
- (21) A.L.s.(initials); same, 6 Jan 1895. 1s.(4p.)
- (22) A.L.s.; Siena, 7 May 1895. 1s.(4p.)
- (23)-(24). Norton, Charles Eliot, 1827-1908.
- (23) A.L.s.; Shady Hill, 7 Dec 1901. 1s.(2p.)
- (24) A.L.s.; same, 6 Feb 1902. 1s.(3p.)
- (25)-(26). Sanborn, Franklin Benjamin, 1831-1917.
- (25) A.L.s.; Concord, 11 Mar 1910. 1s.(1p.)
- (26) A.L.s.; same, 25 May 1916. 1s.(2p.)
- Series: II. Other papers
- (27). Goodspeed, Edgar Johnson, 1871- 2 T.L.s. to [Laura Elizabeth (Howe)] Richards; Los Angeles, 27 Oct and 28 Nov 1942.
- (28). Crawford, Francis Marion, 1854-1909. A.L.s. to Laura [Elizabeth (Howe) Richards]; Washington, 24 Sep 1893. 1s.(1p.)
- (29). Clarke, James Freeman, 1810-1888. 2 A.L.s. to Julia (Ward) Howe; Jamaica Plain, [25 Dec] 1884 and 18 Jan 1887.
- (30). Howe, Julia (Ward) 1819-1910. Diary. A.MS.(unsigned); [v.p.] 1863. 1v.
Original black roan.
- (31). Howe, Julia (Ward) 1819-1910. The battle-hymn of the republic. [A collection of translations into various languages]
- (32). Howe, Julia (Ward) 1819-1910. John A. Albion [a memorial address] A.MS.(unsigned); [n.p.] 1899. 29f.(29p.)
Delivered at the annual meeting of the American Unitarian association.