MS Am 2157
Dix, Dorothea Lynde, 1802-1887. Dorothea Lynde Dix additional papers, 1866-1887: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: pf, b [b is shelved with bMS Am 2156-2160]
Call No.: MS Am 2157
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Dix, Dorothea Lynde, 1802-1887.
Title: Dorothea Lynde Dix additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 boxes (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers and photographs related to American humanitarian crusader Dorothea Lynde Dix.
*43M-837-846, 848-849. Gift of Mrs. Horatio Lamb, 260 Clarendon Street, Boston, Massachusetts; received: 1944 Spring.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Dorothea Lynde Dix Additional Papers, 1866-1887 (MS Am 2157). Houghton Library, Harvard
Dix was a humanitarian crusader for the mentally ill.
Arranged alphabetically by name, with some later additions at end.
Letters to Dix, notes, documents, photographs, portraits, diploma, and lists relating
to Dix. Also includes some items concerning Japan.
- (1). Dix, Dorothea Lynde, 1802-1887. A.ms.: List of subscribers to monument fund with amts. subscribed ... [Washington, D.C.?] 1866.
- (2). Dix, Dorothea Lynde, 1802-1887. [Miscellaneous orders, notes, requests, etc., relating to Miss Dix's hospital service
in the Civil war] [v.p., 186-] 26 pieces.
- (3). Fort Monroe, Va. Union cemetery. [Photographs of the cemetery and of the monument to soldiers interred there] [n.p.,
ca.1866] 25 pieces.
- (5). Mass. Probate court (Suffolk co.) [Appointment of Horatio A. Lamb as trustee of the estate of Dorothea Lynde Dix][Boston] 1887.
Blank form, filled out and signed by John W. McKim.
- (6). Prints, Japanese. [Two nineteenth century prints, printed on one sheet] [n.p., n.d.]
With this are two decorative Japanese paper handkerchiefs.
- (9). Washington, D.C. Memorial Evangelical Lutheran church. [Letters, circulars, etc., relating to the raising of funds for the church] [Washington, D.C., etc., 1872] 18 pieces.
- (10). Young, Jesse Bowman, 1844- A.L.s. (Jesse B. Young) to Dorothea [Lynde] Dix; Gettysburg, Pa., 18 May 1871. folder (p.)
- (11). Dorothea Lynde Dix : portrait enlarged photographs, undated. 1 folderspf
2 items, variant images. 43M-843
- (12). Wells College. At the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees of Wells College Aurora, Cayuga Lake,
N.Y.; Resolved unanimously that the Honorary degree of Doctor of Philosophy, be conferred
upon Dorothea L. Dix 13 ... : manuscript diploma (signed); Aurora, New York, 1870 July 30. 1 folderspf
Broadside diploma, with seal. 43M-844