MS Eng 811.8
Masefield, John, 1878-1967. John Masefield compositions, 1920-1966: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Eng 811.8
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Masefield, John, 1878-1967.
Title: John Masefield compositions,
Quantity: 1 collection (12 volumes (1.16 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Poems, diaries, and a play by the English poet and playwright John Masefield.
68M-6. Gift of Mr. Corliss Lamont 315 West 106th Street, New York, New York 10025; received: 196823 July.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
John Masefield Compositions, 1920-1966 (MS Eng 811.8). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
John Masefield was an English poet, playwright, and novelist. He served as England's
poet laureate from 1930 until his death in 1967.
Arranged alphabetically by title.
Autograph and typescript poems and a play by Masefield as well as diaries, a notebook
and an award certificate.
- (1). Chaucer festival. A.MS. and MS.(unidentified hand);[n.p.,n.d.] 10s.(10p.)
Masefield's comments and criticisms as a judge at the festival.
- (2). The condemned cell. A.MS. and MS.(in the hand of Judith Masefield); [n.p.,ca.1920] 56f.(46p.) 1v.
- (3). A.MS. diary;[v.p.] 1924. 95f.(160p.)
- (4). A.MS. diary; [v.p.], 1942. 64f.(105p.) 1v.
- (5). George Wilkins. A.MS.(unsigned);[n.p.,n.d.] 40f.(22p.) 1v.
- (7). A.MS. notebook;[n.p.,n.d.] 61f.(19p.) 1v.
Contains a translation of the opening lines of "Prometheus bound" (15p.), and two incomplete poems, "Between the little river and the ridge..." and "Old house, the night is roaring with the gale..."
- (8). Saint Katherine of Ledbury. TS.(autograph revisions);[n.p.,n.d.] 23s.(26p.)
With a later draft, TS.(autograph corrections); 41s. (41p.); a TS.copy, 36s.(36p.) and notes and correspondence.
- (10). [Tewksbury] A.MS.;[n.p.,n.d.] 26s.(29p.)
With a TS. copy, 11s.(11p.)
- (11). When good King Arthur; a play in three acts. A.MS. and TS.;[n.p.,n.d.] 204f.(146p.)
- (12). Royal society of literature of the United Kingdom, London. MS.D.;[London], 10 May 1961. 1s.(1p.)
Confers the title "Companion of literature" upon John Masefield.