MS Am 1815.2
Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858. Matthew Calbraith Perry additional correspondence,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1815.2
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858.
Title: Matthew Calbraith Perry additional correspondence,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters of American naval officer Matthew Calbraith Perry to friends and family as
well as materials about Perry.
69M-137. Deposited by Mrs. Gouverneur M. Phelps, Orchard Farm South Ashfield, Massachusetts; received: 1965 September 9; gift: 1967 December.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Matthew Calbraith Perry Additional Correspondence, 1799-1945 (MS Am 1877). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Perry was an American naval officer, best known for negotiating the treaty that opened
Japan to trade with the West.
Letters written by Perry discuss personal finance issues, duties at home, and naval
news. Collection contains a letter of appointment to Perry written by John Adams,
a book called "Presentation of the Relics of Matthew Perry" from Japan, letter to
John Rockefeller from the US Naval Academy about Matthew Perry, a biography of Matthew
Perry, a personal account written about Perry's visit to Japan by a native, and a
printed booklet summarizing the Japan trip. Also contained in the collection is a
book of illustrations of Newport, newspaper clippings about Matthew Perry and his
family, genealogical material, and a deed of sale to Matthew Perry of Peel Island
for $50.00. There is also a letter containing information of the Perry family coat
- (1). Adams, John, pres. U.S., 1735-1826. Printed D.s. (photocopy); [Philadelphia, 1 Mar 1799] 1s. (1p.)
Appointing Christopher Raymond Perry a captain in the Navy.
- (2). Armour, Norman, 1887- A.L.s. to Hester Gouverneur Bartol; Princeton, 17 Oct 1927. 1s. (3p.)
With draft of a letter to the Japanese Ambassador. 2s. (3p.), and Presentation of the relics of Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry by his descendants
to the people of Japan. . ., Tokyo, [1928?]
- (3a). Clinton, C.A. A.L.s. to John Hone; [n.p.] 5 Mar 1858. 1s. (4p.)
- (4). Fish, Stuyvesant, 1883- T.L.s. to [Hester Gouverneur] Phelps; New York, 3 Dec 1929. 1s. (1p.)
- (5). Gurley, Charles L. A.L.s. to Thomas E.V. Smith; Washington, 25 Oct 1895. 3s. (3p.)
Enclosing information about Christopher Raymond Perry, TS., 6s. (6p.)
- (6). Hone, John. A.L.s. to Philip Hone; Paris, 4 Oct 1828. 1s. (4p.)
- (7). Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858. A.L.s. to Jane Oliver Hazard (Perry) Hone; [n.p.,n.d.] 1s. (3p.)
- (8-25). Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858.
- (8) 18 A.L.s. to John Hone; 1845-1853 & [n.d.]
Moorings, 10 Dec 1845. 1s. (4p.)
- (9) On board U.S. Cumberland at St. John Lisando, 6 Oct 1848. 1s. (4p.)
- (10) Washington, 25 Feb 1847. 1s. (4p.)
- (11) On board U.S. Mississippi, 6 Mar 1847. 1s. (4p.)
- (12) same, 13 Mar 1847.
- (13) same, 30 Apr 1847.
- (14) same, 25 Jul 1847.
- (15) same, 29 Jul 1847.
- (16) on board U.S. Cumberland at Vera Cruz, 28 Mar 1848. 1s. (4p.)
- (17) same, 2 Apr 1848.
- (18) same, 13 May 1848.
- (19) same, 28 May  1s. (1p.)
- (20) New York, 6 Apr 1850. 1s. (4p.)
- (21) On board U.S. Susquehanna, 1 Jul 1853. 1s. (4p.)
- (22) Macao, 23 Oct 1853. 1s. (4p.)
- (23) [n.p.,n.d.] 1s. (2p.)
- (24) [Pensacola, 31 Oct n.y.] 1s. (2p.) Lacks beginning.
- (25) [New York, n.d.] 1s. (2p.)
- (26). Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858. A.L.s. to Matthew Calbraith Perry, Jr.; New York, 3 Dec 1849. 1s. (4p.)
- (27). Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858. [Memorandum] A.MS. (unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 1s. (1p.)
Concerning William Frederick Perry.
- (28). Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858. Memorandum of property and liabilities of M.C. Perry senior of the U.S. Navy. A.MS.s.; Washington, 1 Nov 1852. 1s. (4p.)
- (29). Rockefeller, John Davison, 1874- T.L. (carbon copy) to [H.A. Baldridge]; [New York, 21 Feb 1945] 1s. (1p.)
see also no. (3) in this series.
- (30). Rodgers, Christopher Raymond Perry, 1819-1892. A.L.s. to John Hone Jr.; Washington, 7 Oct 1890. 1s. (2p.)
- (31). Savory, Nathaniel, 1794-1874. MS. D.s.; Peel Island, 15 Jun 1853. 1s. (2p.)
Transfer of land on Peel Island to Matthew Calbraith Perry.
- (32). Smith, Elizabeth Rodgers. A.L.s. to John ; [n.p.] 10 Mar 1897. 1s. (4p.)
- (33). The Amenoyo Monogatari... the particular of Com'dr Perry's visit [to] Japan. MS. (unidentified hand); [n.p.,n.d.] 5s. (5p.)
- (34). [Perry Family: genealogical material] A.MS. and TS.; [v.p., v.d.] 1 folders
- (35). [Clippings and other printed material concerning Matthew Calbraith Perry]; [v.p., v.d.] 3 folders