MS Eng 1202
Robson, William, 1785-1863. William Robson correspondence, 1855-1863: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Eng 1202
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Robson, William, 1785-1863.
Title: William Robson correspondence,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.1 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence by and about English historian and translator William Robson, including
fundraising for his annuity.
Bequest of E.J. Wendell; received: 1918.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
William Robson Correspondence, 1855-1863 (MS Eng 1202). Houghton Library, Harvard
Robson (1785-1863) was an English schoolmaster, author, and translator. In later life,
Robson fell into poverty. Routledge, the publisher, raised through public subscription,
a fund to purchase an annuity for him. Robson died on 17 November 1863, before he
could use the annuity.
Arranged alphabetically by correspondent.
Includes correspondence between Robson and friends and colleagues, especially T.F.
(Thomas Francis) Dillon Croker. Part of this collection concerns the raising of funds
for Robson's annuity. Includes manuscript by Robson and advertisements for the appeal
for his annuity funds.
- (1). Burdett-Coutss, Angela Georgina Burdett-Coutts, baroness, 1814-1906. MSL (unsigned) to T.F. Dillon Croker; [London] 5 Aug.[18--]. 1s.(1p.)
- (2). Croker, T. F. Dillon (Thomas Francis Dillon), 1831-1912. Appeal to raise an annuity for William Robson : MS and printed advertisements.
- (3). Croker, T. F. Dillon (Thomas Francis Dillon), 1831-1912. ALs to [William Robson]; Brompton, 10 Jul 1863. 1s.(2p.)
- (4). Longman, William, 1813-1877. ALs to T.F. Dillon Croker; London, 2 Nov. 1863. 1s.(2p.)
- (5). Robson, William, 1785-1863. Preface : MS (unsigned); [n.p., undated]. 1s.(1p.)
- (6). Robson, William, 1785-1863. 12 ALs to T.F. Dillon Croker; Rye, 21 Nov 1862 - 5 Nov. 1863. 13s.(41p.) env.
Includes funeral announcement.
- (7). Robson, William, 1785-1863. 2 ALs to Thomas Hailes Lacy; Peckham Rye,  and 8 Dec. 1856. . 1s.(4p.) and 1s.(3p.)
- (8). Smallfield, J.S. 4 ALs to T.F. Dillon Croker; [London?] 1863.
- 5 Oct 1863. 1s.(1p.) With printed appeal on verso.
- 20 Oct 1863. 1s.(1p.) With printed appeal on verso.
- 18 Nov 1863. 1s.(2p.)
- 10 Dec 1863. 1s.(1p.)
- (9). Tomlins, Frederick Guest, 1804-1867. 2 ALs to T.F. Dillon Croker; London, 14 Apr and 7 Dec 1863. 1s(3p.) and 1s.(1p.)
- (10). Triswell, J.H. ALs to T.F. Dillon Croker; [London] 23 Nov. 1863. 1s.(3p.)