MS Am 1477
Papers relating to Lo, a musical comedy, 1909-1910: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1477
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Papers relating to Lo, a musical comedy,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers relating to Lo, a musical comedy by O. Henry and Franklin P. Adams.
44M-412 - 44M-432. Purchased with the Wendell Fund from Arthur Pforzheimer; received: 1945.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Papers Relating to Lo, a musical comedy, 1909-1910 (MS Am 1477). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
The two-act musical comedy 'Lo,' written by O. Henry (William Sydney Porter) and Franklin
P. Adams, premiered in Aurora, Ill. on 25 August 1909. The production toured the midwest
and far west for 14 weeks. The last performance was at the Tootle Theatre, St. Joseph,
Mo. on 5 December 1909.
Includes contract, scenario, script, playbills, box-office reports, clippings, and
correspondence concerning the writing, production, and performances of Lo. Nearly
all the correspondence is to Franklin P. Adams, and the bulk of it is from Harry Askin,
the production's manager.
- (1). Askin, Henry. Typed D.s. (Harry Askin, Sydney Porter, Franklin P. Adams); [Chicago, 13 Mar 1909] 3 numb. l.
Contract for the writing and production of the musical comedy Lo.
- (4). [Porter, William Sydney, 1862-1910] [Lo: box office statements] [v.p.] 25 Aug 1909 0 5 Dec 1909.
These statements cover the full run of the play, with the exception of the period 14-21 Nov 1909.
- (5). Dunelka, F. A. Typed L.s. (F. A. Dunelka) to Franklin [Pierce] Adams; New York, 17 Nov 1909. folder (p.)
- (6). Harper, and brothers. [Statement of royalties on Options, by O. Henry, submitted to Franklin P. Adams] New York, 13 June 1910. p.
- (7). [Porter, William Sydney, 1862-1910] [Lo: schedule of performances 7 Nov 1909-5 Dec 1909] [n.p., 1909] p.
Typescript, with manuscript.
- (8). Harris, Joseph M. Typed L.s. (Joe M. Harris) to Franklin [Pierce] Adams; Chicago, 5 Oct 1909. p.
- (9). Harris, Charles Kassell, 1864-1930. [Royalty account for the songs in Lo, rendered to O. Henry, Franklin P. Adams, etc.] New York, Jan 1910.
- (11). Askin, Henry. 2 Typed LL.s. (Hy Askin) to [Minna (Schwartze) Adams;] Chicago, 20 May and 2 June 1909. p. each.
- (12). Patterson, W. J. 4 LL. (3 typed, 1 A.) s. (W. J. Patterson) to Franklin [Pierce] Adams; Chicago, 4 Sep 1909-21 Sep 1909.
- (13). Donaghey, Fred. Typed L.s. (F. D.) to [Franklin Pierce Adams]; Chicago, 21 [June 19]09. 5l.
- (14). Donaghey, Fred. Typed L.s. (Fred) to Harry [i.e. Henry Askin]; [New York] 12 Aug 1909 4 numb. l.
- (15). Hammond, Percy, 1873-1936. A.L.s. (P. Hammond) to Franklin [Pierce] Adams; Chicago, 4 May 1909.
- (16). Sloane, Alfred Baldwin, 1872-1924. Typed L.s. (Sloane) to [Franklin Pierce Adams]; [New York? 1909] p.
- (17). Adams, Franklin Pierce, 1881- [9 telegrams (typed and ms.) sent to Adams on the occasion of the opening of Lo, Aurora, Ill., 25 Aug 1909] [v.p.] 25 Aug 1909-30 Aug 1909.
- (18). Kirkland, David. A.L.s. (David Kirkland) to [Franklin Pierce] Adams; Milwaukee [4 Sep 1909] 3l.
- (19). Kirkland, David. A.L.s. (David Kirkland) to [Franklin Pierce] Adams; Kansas City, Mo. [12 Sep 1909] 12l.
- (20). [Adams, Franklin Pierce, 1881-] [Lo, the poor musical comedy] [New York? 1910?] 19 numb. l.
Autograph manuscripts of an article published in Success magazine, New York, Oct 1910.
- (21). Porter, Sara Lindsay (Coleman) A.L.s. (Sara Coleman Porter) to [Franklin Pierce] Adams; Asheville, N.C., [12 Jun? 1910] folder (p.)