MS Am 1891.11-1891.18, 1891.21-1891.27
Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968, collector. Witter Bynner collection of literary manuscripts,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1891.11-1891.18, 1891.21-1891.27
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968, collector.
Title: Witter Bynner collection of literary manuscripts,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Contains correspondence and literary manuscripts collected by American poet and translator
Gift of Witter Bynner, 342 Buena Vista Road Santa Fé, New Mexico; received: 1961 December 18.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Witter Bynner Collection of Literary Manuscripts, 1870-1918 (MS Am 1891.11-1891.27).
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Bynner was an American poet and translator.
Includes compositions by D. H. Lawrence and Edna St. Vincent Millay, among others,
a portrait photograph of Lawrence taken by Bynner, scrapbooks of photographs from
a women's suffrage parade in New York in 1911 and 1912, and a scrapbook concerning
a play performed by Bynner and Eleanor Wilson for Woodrow Wilson, among other items.
- MS Am 1891.11. Lawrence, David Herbert, 1885-1930. The right thing to do [or, The only thing to be done; or, The harassed angel] A.MS.s.; [n.p., n.d.] 24s.(24p.)
- MS Am 1891.12. Lawrence, David Herbert, 1885-1930. Matriarchy. TS. (carbon, unsigned); [New York, n.d.] 8s.(8p.)
Inscribed "To Hal- from Frieda."
- MS Am 1891.13. Lawrence, David Herbert, 1885-1930. Red trousers. TS. (carbon, unsigned); [New York, n.d.] 6s.(6p.)
Inscribed "For Hal on his birthday after the triumph- from Frieda L--."
- MS Am 1891.14. Millay, Edna St. Vincent, 1892-1950. To D- C-. A.MS.s.; [n.p., n.d.] 1s.(1p.)
- MS Am 1891.15. Millay, Edna St. Vincent, 1892-1950. Aria da capo. Clipping from Reedy's Mirror, with some revisions in pen and ink.
- MS Am 1891.16. Millay, Edna St. Vincent, 1892-1950. Recuerdo. Proof with autograph annotation; [n.p., n.d.] 1s.(1p.)
"To go into Figs from thistles."
- MS Am 1891.17. Porter, Bruce, 1865- A.L.s. to Witter Binner; [San Francisco] 1945. 1s.(1p.)
Pasted in Chinese book containing a collection of seals printed in red ink.
- MS Am 1891.18. Reedy, William Marion, 1862-1920. Introduction [ to The beloved stranger] A.MS.s.; [n.p., n.d.] 10s.(10p.)
- MS Am 1891.21. Housman, Alfred Edward, 1859-1936. Illic jacet. A.MS.s.; [n.p., n.d.] 1s. (1p.) framed.
Presented by Housman to Witter Bynner.
- MS Am 1891.22. Yeats, William Butler, 1865-1939. Never give all the heart for love... [first line] A.MS.s.; [n.p.] Dec 1905. 1s. (1p.) framed.
Presented by Yeats to Witter Bynner.
- MS Am 1891.23. Clemens, Samuel Langhorne, 1835-1910. Of all sad words of tongue or pen... [first line of parody] A.MS.s. (both S. L. Clemens and Mark Twain); [n.p., 1907] 1s. (1p.) framed.
- MS Am 1891.24. Lawrence, David Herbert, 1885-1930. Portrait photograph signed; Cuernavaca [n.d.] framed.
Taken by Witter Bynner.
- MS Am 1891.25. McClure, Samuel Sidney, 1857-1949. Advertising magazine and books. TS. (carbon, unsigned); [New York, ca. 1902-1907] 14s. (14p.)
One of McClure's periodic staff bulletins, circulated in his publishing house.
- MS Am 1891.26. Mackaye, Percy, 1875-1956. Sanctuary [pictures of performers, printed script from Century magazine, etc.] Scrapbook; Cornish, N. H., 12 Sep 1913. 1v.
Witter Bynner and Eleanor Wilson played leading roles in performance before Woodrow Wilson.
- MS Am 1891.27. Bynner, Witter, 1881- [Woman's suffrage parade, New York, 1911] Scrapbook of photographs, 1v.
- MS Am 1891.27a. Same. [Woman's suffrage parade, New York, 1912] Scrapbook of photographs. 1v.