OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL.Hough:hou00929View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1162.10
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Thomas Wentworth Higginson correspondence
Quantity: 2 linear feet (4 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters from various correspondents to author, reformer, and soldier Thomas Wentworth Higginson.
Higginson was an author, reformer, and soldier; colonel of the first African American regiment during the Civil War (1862-1864); an ardent abolitionist and advocate of women's suffrage.
Arranged alphabetically by correspondent.
Letters from a wide array of correspondents concerning literary and political affairs Correspondents include George William Curtis, Edward Everett Hale, Henry Lee Higginson, Louise Chandler Moulton, Charles Eliot Norton, James Parton, Josephine Preston Peabody, Franklin Benjamin Sanborn, and Richard Grant White, among others. Some letters are to his second wife, Mary Thacher Higginson. Letters by Thomas Wentworth Higginson are mostly to Julia Ward Howe. Also includes a small amount of printed material.All letters in this correspondence are addressed to Thomas Wentworth Higginson, except for the following:
- Alexander Bain: 593
- William Jennings Bryan: 409
- [ ] Chesson: 486
- Mrs. Elliott: 410
- Cornelius Conway Felton: 411
- Mary (Thacher) Higginson: 288, 405, 406, 412, 478, 542, 543, 563, 576, 718, 721, 722, 764 to 769, 774, 775, 993.
- S. Higginson & Co.: 68
- Stephen Higginson: 40, 361, 362.
- Stephen (Thacher) Higginson: 567
- Waldo Higginson: 459, 505, 788
- Ebenezer Rockwood Hoar: 444
- Julia (Ward) Howe: 413 to 436
- Samuel Gridley Howe: 437, 438.
- Robert Green Ingersoll: 439
- [ ] Mitchell: 795
- William T. Sedgwick: 564
- John Veitch: 597
- Sydney Williams: 592