MS Typ 426-426.5
Abbot, John, 1751-1840. John Abbot notes and drawings, 1766-1887: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Typ 426-426.5
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Abbot, John, 1751-1840.
Title: John Abbot notes and drawings
Quantity: 1 linear feet (6 volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Watercolor drawings of birds, butterflies, plants, and correspondence of scientific
illustrator and naturalist John Abbot.
46HM-2F-7F. Purchased with the Hofer fund from Boston Museum of Natural History; received: 1946 November 15.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
John Abbot Notes and Drawings, 1766-1887 (MS Typ 426-426.5). Houghton Library, Harvard
Abbot was a scientific illustrator and naturalist. Born in England, he emigrated to
Virginia and settled in Georgia.
Contains over 600 watercolor drawings by Abbot of birds, butterflies, other insects,
and plants, some with explanatory descriptions and notes. The work was done mostly
in Georgia. Also includes correspondence about Abbot, a colored lithographic portrait
of him, and one volume of insect drawings, 1830, considered the work of an inferior
- MS Typ 426. [Abbot, John, fl. 1797] Notes to the drawings of insects. A.Ms. unsigned; [Savannah, Ga., n.d.] 16p. p. p.
Bound in at the end is a miscellaneous collection of correspondence about Abbot and
entomology by various hands; 13 pieces.
- MS Typ 426.1. Abbot, John, fl. 1797. [Drawings of insects] A.Ms. signed (Abbot delin.); [Savannah, Ga.] 1766-1772. 84l., 42 numb. l. 42l. consisting of of drawings of insects in color, mounted vis-a-vis with of explanatory
- MS Typ 426.2. Abbot, John, fl. 1797. Drawings of insects and plants ... A.Ms. unsigned; [Savannah, Ga., n.d.] 174 numb. l., 1l., 1 blank l., 1l., 1 blank l., 1l.f
Drawings of insects in color; descriptive notes written on verso of some.
- MS Typ 426.3. [Abbot, John, fl. 1797] [Drawings of North American lepidoptera] A.Ms. unsigned; [Savannah, Ga.? n.d.] 7p., p., 4p., 4p., 28p., 193 numb. l.f
- MS Typ 426.4. Abbot, John, fl. 1797. Drawings of the birds of Georgia. A.Ms.; [Savannah, Ga., n.d.] 181l., num. in series 1 to 200 lacking; 9, 12, 13, 16, 23, 27, 29-31, 44, 51, 80,
94-96, 100, 138, 169, 189.f