MS Am 1767
Harris, William Torrey, 1835-1909. William Torrey Harris correspondence, 1874-1924:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1767
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Harris, William Torrey, 1835-1909.
Title: William Torrey Harris correspondence,
Quantity: 1 collection (9 boxes (4.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers of American educator and philosopher William Torrey Harris.
65M-55. Gift of Edith Davidson Harris; received: 1965.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
William Torrey Harris Correspondence, 1874-1924 (MS Am 1767). Houghton Library, Harvard
Harris was an educator and philosopher. He was superintendent of schools in St. Louis,
Mo. (1867-1880) and U.S. Commissioner of Education (1889-1906). He founded the Journal
of Speculative Philosophy in 1867 and was the leading exponent of Hegelianism in American
Organized into the following series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Manuscripts and miscellaneous
The bulk of this collection consists of 837 letters, 1874-1909, to Harris from Charles
H. Ames, publisher with D. C. Heath & Co. and other firms; 69 letters, 1879-1909,
to Harris from Edwin Doak Mead, editor, author, and social reformer; and 22 letters,
1878-1905, to Harris from Lucia True Ames Mead, feminist, reformer, and wife of Edwin
Doak Mead. Also includes lists of writings by Harris, clippings and other printed
material, and some letters to Ames and other members of Harris's family.
- Series: I. Correspondence
- (1-29). Ames, Charles H., d. 1911. 29 letters to Edith Davidson Harris; 1909-1911.
- (30-32). Ames, Charles H., d. 1911. 3 letters to Sarah (Bugbee) Harris; 1909.
- (33-868). Ames, Charles H., d. 1911. 836 letters to William Torrey Harris; 1874-1900.
No.289a added to series.
- (869-871). Ames, Henrietta S. 3 letters to Sarah (Bugbee) Harris; 1911.
- (872-882). Harris, Theodore. 11 letters to Charles H. Ames; 1909-1911.
In folder 1 and 2, a reader reports that many, if not all, of these letters appear
to be by his daughter, Edith Harris.
- (883). Harris, Theodore. 1 letter to Henrietta S. Ames; 1911.
- (884-885). Harris, William Torrey, 1835-1909. 2 letters to Charles H. Ames; 1905.
- (886-889). Harris, William Torrey, 1835-1909. 4 letters to Lucia True (Ames) Mead; 1878-1894 & [n.d.].
- (890-892). Mead, Edwin Doak, 1849-1937. 3 letters to Charles H. Ames; 1907-1908.
- (893-961). Mead, Edwin Doak, 1849-1937. 69 letters to William Torrey Harris; 1879-1909.
- (962-983). Mead, Lucia True (Ames) 1856-. 22 letters to William Torrey Harris; 1878-1905.
- (984). Mendenhall, Nereus. 1 letter to William Torrey Harris; 1882.
- (985). Merwin, J.B. 1 letter to William Torrey Harris; 1894.
- (986). Thwing, Charles Franklin, 1853-. 1 letter to Lucia True (Ames) Mead; 1924.
- Series: II. Manuscripts and miscellaneous
- (987-989). Harris, William Torrey, 1835-1909. 3 TS. lists of works by William Torrey Harris; 1 folders
- (990). Printed material; 1 bundle.
- (991). Clippings and envelopes; 1 boxes