MS Am 1745.3
Fields, James Thomas, 1817-1881, collector. James Thomas Fields collection of additional
autographs, 1750-1941: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1745.3
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Fields, James Thomas, 1817-1881, collector.
Title: James Thomas Fields collection of additional autographs,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.01 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Contains letters and manuscripts collected by the Boston publisher James Thomas Fields.
*64M-153. Gift of The Reverend James Holland Beal, Jackson Lodge Jackson, New Hampshire; received: 1965 January.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
James Thomas Fields Collection of Additional Augographs, 1750-1941 (MS Am 1745.3).
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Fields was a Boston publisher, editor, and author. He was head of the publishing firm
of Ticknor and Fields and editor of The Atlantic Monthly (1861-1870).
Letters and manuscripts of American and British writers collected by James T. Fields
and completed by his wife Annie Adams Fields, including a composition by John Quincy
- (1). Adams, John Quincy, pres. U.S., 1767-1848. [Essay on music] MS.; [n.p., 18th. cent]. 1s.(3p.)
Possibly by John Quincy Adams.
- (2). Lines on liberty and in praise of Mr. Henry Cowper. MS. (unidentified hand); [n.p., 18th. cent]. 1s.(2p.)
- (3). Unidentified. MS.L. (copy) to ; [n.p., 18th. cent.]. 1s.(1p.)
- (4). Allston, Washington, 1779-1843. Paint King. MS. [in the hand of Frederick West Holland]; [n.p.]. 15 Jan 1825. 1s.(4p.)
Containing numerous variant lines.
- (5). Dawes, Charles Gates, 1865-. T.L.s. to James Holland Beal; Chicago, 19 Mar 1940. 1s.(1p.)
- (6). Dawes, Charles Gates, 1865-. T.L.s. to Arthur Holland; Chicago, 6 May 1925. 1s.(1p.) env.
- (7). Newcomb, Hannah. A.L.s. to Lucretia Dawes; Keene, 8 Apr 1821. 1s.(4p.)