MS Thr 130
Cushman, Charlotte, 1816-1876. Charlotte Cushman letters to various correspondents,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Thr 130
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Cushman, Charlotte, 1816-1876.
Title: Charlotte Cushman letters to various correspondents,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.16 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters from American actress Charlotte Cushman to various correspondents.
62M-352. Received from various sources, various dates.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Charlotte Cushman Letters to Various Correspondents, 1842-1874 (MS Thr 130). Harvard
Theatre Collection, Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Cushman was an American actress who excelled in tragic or character parts; she made
her first appearance on stage in 1836 as Lady MacBeth.
Letters from Cushman to various correspondents concerning finance, rehearsal times
and schedules for plays, and how much Cushman charges for play readings. Letters also
discuss the different plays in which Cushman was performing in, and a letter to a
newspaper editor complaining about a bad review of Cushman's performance. Collection
also contains some visiting cards with photographs on them, and a literary manuscript
entitled Charlotte Cushman's Honeymoon.
- (1-2). 2 A.L.s. to Dennis R. Alward:
- New Jersey [1859?]. 1s.(1p.)
- London, 12 Jun 1866. 1s.(4p.) env.
- (3). A.L.s. to Park Benjamin; [New York?], 13 Oct [n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
- (4). A.L.s. to [Dr.] D. W. Bliss; Newport, R.I., 25 Jul 1871. 1s.(4p.)
- (5). A.L.s. to [Miss ] Booth; Newport, R.I., 27 Jul 1874. 1s.(3p.)
- (6-16). 11 A.L.s. to William Henry Chippendale:
- Philadelphia, 24 Feb 1842. 1s.(2p.)
- New York, Jun 1842. 1s.(1p.)
- Philadelphia, 8 Aug 1842. 1s.(2p.)
- Philadelphia, 11 Sep 1842. 1s.(3p.)
- Philadelphia, 18 Oct 1842. 1s.(3p.)
- Philadelphia, 29 Oct1842. 1s.(2p.)
- Philadelphia, 27 Dec 1843. 1s.(2p.)
- Boston, 20 Sep 1849. 1s.(3p.)
- Watertown, Mass., 22 Sep 1849. 1s.(3p.)
- New York, 20 Oct 1849. 1s.(1p.)
- Rochester, N.Y., 23 Feb 1852. 1s.(3p.)
- (17). A.L.s. to Charles Walter Couldock; Providence, 2 Jun 1872. 1s.(2p.)
- (18). A.L.s. to  David; Washington, D.C., 18 Nov 1868. 1s.(1p.)
- (19). A.L.s. to  Dickenson; London, [n.d.]. 1s.(1p.)
- (20). A.L.s. to E.J. Farmer; New York, 9 May 1874. 1s.(1p.)
- (21). Envelope to W.S. Fredericks; Boston, 19 Sep [n.d.]